Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

“Masterbuilt” or “guitar by stencil”...

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451

I hear that view point so many times and I can't deny your thought pattern - But take into account that my side of the story is based on around 25 years of selling such guitars - Every time we stock some they just don't sell, until I reduce them fairly heavily - I have a nice NOS 52 Tele in stock now - Not only has it not sold yet, to date, the 'viewing click counter' that I can see on my web site, ref the viewing figures for each guitar, is also lower than others

You will have one more click now.  I've had a look!

I like the look of that (and it's cheaper than the relics seem to be).  I'm not saying that those exact specs would be my ideal.  I'd need to try the neck profile.  I know I like the late 50's soft V, but I've not really played anything with that U profle.  Personally, I've gone off of blonde Teles.  They are a bit like silver Ford Focuses and you see them everywhere.  I wouldn't want anything outlandish like the guitar equivalent of a Green Hyundai Veloster - black would be fine - but  I'd prefer it in another colour.  I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer a rosewood board as well.  Like you said, you might need to keep several to cover all the options.  I can understand your point of view, but it does make it difficult for those who don't like relics.

Having said all that, if I was in your shop looking for a guitar, I'd definitely play it before all the relics. If it sounded good and I liked the neck profile, the blonde colour wouldn't be a show stopper.  Won't happen in the near future though.  I'm still paying off R9 in my avatar that I bought on 0% in the blowout last year.

I prefer a nice shiny new one, but if it came to it, I'd probably buy a nice closet classic or something lightly reliced  if it was a good guitar.  I'd be ok with Fender doing something like the Gibson VOS as well - although I am tempted to give the R9 a good polish.

It's the over the top relics that I can't stand.  I really grew to dislike the fake wear on the one I had previously.  A bit of fingerboard wear in places where you would play in popular guitar keys makes sense, but to have heavy wear evenly all over the board just doesn't look right.

I don't like sanded off necks either.  I know new necks can be a bit sticky, but I much prefer the feel of a nitro neck that has a couple of hundred hours of playing on it to one where the finish is completely sanded off.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1412
    edited September 2019
    I recently enquired (in a well known London guitar shop) about ordering a CS Tele. As part of the conversation I was asked what I might have in mind and when I mentioned NOS I was looked at as if I was mad. o The other sales assistant within earshot also expressed surprise that I didn't want at least a "Closet" finish and started getting all misty eyed about the beautiful lacquer checking I would be missing out on.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4218
    edited September 2019
    dindude said:
    More intriguing that those who bash relics, is why the defenders take it so personally. It's just opinion.
    I’m not entirely sure how else one is supposed to take being called a moron?

Perhaps you can point to some examples of where a relic fan has over-reacted to someone who was just stating they don’t like relics? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    I recently enquired (in a well known London guitar shop) about ordering a CS Tele. As part of the conversation I was asked what I might have in mind and when I mentioned NOS I was looked at as if I was mad. o The other sales assistant within earshot also expressed surprise that I didn't want at least a "Closet" finish and started getting all misty eyed about the beautiful lacquer checking I would be missing out on.
    They were probably terrified of you bailing on the deal long after it was ordered and then not being able to sell it!

Personally, with Fender CS, Journeyman or 'regular' relic is where it's at for me (except I wouldn't mind a heavy relic P-bass for some reason!) - but I think NOS is now the only way you can get anything sub-£3k... eek.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1412
    edited September 2019
    Whitecat said:
    They were probably terrified of you bailing on the deal long after it was ordered and then not being able to sell it!
    I hadn't thought of that. When I was telling them what I had in mind there was plenty of enthusiasm and approved looks when I mentioned Shell Pink and Rosewood fingerboard but as soon as I muttered NOS whatever credibility I had went straight out of the window. I'm surprised I wasn't frogmarched out of the shop.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting thread...

I LOVE relics; heavier the better for me.

I will say my Masterbuilt Jason Smith ‘63 remains the best Strat Ive ever played; including a few ‘real’ sixties ones.

Just sayin’

I was just wondering, does a guitar that has been heavily reliced play / feel any different to a NOS equivalent? Does the relicing process also wear the neck frets as well, giving it that very smooth comfortable feeling, or are the frets as new?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Mark1960 said:
    Interesting thread...

I will say my Masterbuilt Jason Smith ‘63 remains the best Strat Ive ever played; including a few ‘real’ sixties ones.

Just sayin’

I was just wondering, does a guitar that has been heavily reliced play / feel any different to a NOS equivalent? Does the relicing process also wear the neck frets as well, giving it that very smooth comfortable feeling, or are the frets as new?
    Frets are as new IME. Neck wear is worth it though if it’s been “cut back”. The edges are rolled in a little more too sometimes and on maple examples the fretboard itself usually has less lacquer than a new one might. Obviously this all varies a little from builder to builder and depends on the level of relicing involved but to me the nice worn in neck is essentially the most appealing feature. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Whitecat said:
    Mark1960 said:
    Interesting thread...

Just sayin’

Frets are as new IME. Neck wear is worth it though if it’s been “cut back”. The edges are rolled in a little more too sometimes and on maple examples the fretboard itself usually has less lacquer than a new one might. Obviously this all varies a little from builder to builder and depends on the level of relicing involved but to me the nice worn in neck is essentially the most appealing feature. 
    Yes I can see why that would appeal. My guitar is around 35 years old, and I also like the feel of the worn in neck, to such an extent that new guitars sometimes feel a little odd initially.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

I hear that view point so many times and I can't deny your thought pattern - But take into account that my side of the story is based on around 25 years of selling such guitars - Every time we stock some they just don't sell, until I reduce them fairly heavily - I have a nice NOS 52 Tele in stock now - Not only has it not sold yet, to date, the 'viewing click counter' that I can see on my web site, ref the viewing figures for each guitar, is also lower than others

I like the look of that (and it's cheaper than the relics seem to be).  I'm not saying that those exact specs would be my ideal.  I'd need to try the neck profile.  I know I like the late 50's soft V, but I've not really played anything with that U profle.  Personally, I've gone off of blonde Teles.  They are a bit like silver Ford Focuses and you see them everywhere.  I wouldn't want anything outlandish like the guitar equivalent of a Green Hyundai Veloster - black would be fine - but  I'd prefer it in another colour.  I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer a rosewood board as well.  Like you said, you might need to keep several to cover all the options.  I can understand your point of view, but it does make it difficult for those who don't like relics.

Having said all that, if I was in your shop looking for a guitar, I'd definitely play it before all the relics. If it sounded good and I liked the neck profile, the blonde colour wouldn't be a show stopper.  Won't happen in the near future though.  I'm still paying off R9 in my avatar that I bought on 0% in the blowout last year.

I prefer a nice shiny new one, but if it came to it, I'd probably buy a nice closet classic or something lightly reliced  if it was a good guitar.  I'd be ok with Fender doing something like the Gibson VOS as well - although I am tempted to give the R9 a good polish.

It's the over the top relics that I can't stand.  I really grew to dislike the fake wear on the one I had previously.  A bit of fingerboard wear in places where you would play in popular guitar keys makes sense, but to have heavy wear evenly all over the board just doesn't look right.

I don't like sanded off necks either.  I know new necks can be a bit sticky, but I much prefer the feel of a nitro neck that has a couple of hundred hours of playing on it to one where the finish is completely sanded off.

those black guard Tele's are equally institutionalised aren't they regarding the 'blonde' finish - I've a couple on order in a 50's 2 burst, but almost another colour appears to go against the accepted criteria

Not so bad on 60's Tele's with rosewood boards in that other colours sell and are accepted - But unless custom spec'd and ordered you don't get the big U neck profile - Obviously some like that and others find it to much to handle

Lightly relic'd as per a Journeyman finish are not probably the best selling option and probably more realistic - Some have a very worn neck, most are more 'satin' so some of the sheen taken off, but not the dirty  worn character
    crunchman said:

those black guard Tele's are equally institutionalised aren't they regarding the 'blonde' finish - I've a couple on order in a 50's 2 burst, but almost another colour appears to go against the accepted criteria

Not so bad on 60's Tele's with rosewood boards in that other colours sell and are accepted - But unless custom spec'd and ordered you don't get the big U neck profile - Obviously some like that and others find it to much to handle

Lightly relic'd as per a Journeyman finish are not probably the best selling option and probably more realistic - Some have a very worn neck, most are more 'satin' so some of the sheen taken off, but not the dirty  worn character
    If I’m honest about the Journeyman finish this is the one thing that I find baffling - neck wear is totally arbitrary. Some have the lacquer cut back a lot, others barely at all. Wish it were consistently the former!
  • Yeah it’d be much more consistent if they use some kind of jig, like a stencil or something.
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22898
    Whitecat said:
    If I’m honest about the Journeyman finish this is the one thing that I find baffling - neck wear is totally arbitrary. Some have the lacquer cut back a lot, others barely at all. Wish it were consistently the former!
    True, they are inconsistent.  My Ancho Poblano Strat has the Journeyman finish on the body, not much wear, but the back of the neck is pretty much totally stripped.  On my custom ordered '70s hardtail there's a lot more wear on the body but the neck is almost fully lacquered.
  • jeztone2 said:
    Exactly my Tele fell off a stand at its first gig. I shat myself at the time but now it’s a quite funny memory. 
    I would be more concerned about the floor. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Lewy said:
    dindude said:
    More intriguing that those who bash relics, is why the defenders take it so personally. It's just opinion.

Perhaps you can point to some examples of where a relic fan has over-reacted to someone who was just stating they don’t like relics? 
    Oh come on. I take the piss out of Honda Jazz owners for being dithering old twats. One of my best friends bought a Jazz recently. I take the piss out of him. I don’t actually think he’s a twat, I’m not going to de-friend him. No one actually called you a moron, just someone expressing their opinion in an exaggerated yet comical way. Not sure why I’m even taking the time to explain this, am I the only one who sees the comments for what they are!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960 said:
    Whitecat said:
    Mark1960 said:
    Interesting thread...

Just sayin’

Yes I can see why that would appeal. My guitar is around 35 years old, and I also like the feel of the worn in neck, to such an extent that new guitars sometimes feel a little odd initially.
    Thats exactly what a MB Relic feels like to me... worn in, and ‘old slipper’ comfy :)
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4218
    dindude said:
    Lewy said:
    dindude said:

Oh come on. I take the piss out of Honda Jazz owners for being dithering old twats. One of my best friends bought a Jazz recently. I take the piss out of him. I don’t actually think he’s a twat, I’m not going to de-friend him. No one actually called you a moron, just someone expressing their opinion in an exaggerated yet comical way. Not sure why I’m even taking the time to explain this, am I the only one who sees the comments for what they are!
    You expressed intrigue at why people who like relics tend to take the criticism personally. I pointed out that it's because the criticism tends to be personal. Not sure why that's got you chucking a Clarkson. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Lewy said:
    dindude said:
    Lewy said:
    dindude said:

You expressed intrigue at why people who like relics tend to take the criticism personally. I pointed out that it's because the criticism tends to be personal. Not sure why that's got you chucking a Clarkson. 
    Ha ha, let’s finish on that note, I like “chucking a Clarkson”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • How long before a seller is asked 'Is it a stencil relic or done by hand?'?

Maybe it's already happened...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    The irony is that a real worn /well used guitar would be generally decent condition ,the very odd dink and one fucking huge ugly gouge out of it where it had fallen off a stand ,been accidentally crunched into the bassist's machine head or had a mic stand dropped on it
    .....of course, that would just look like a damaged guitar and be a lot less appealing ! even tho't's more real
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom