2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    well done @Iamnobody. Lots of people find it helpful to have people to run with so perhaps see if any of her friends run and get a run in here and there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Went for a3.5 mile run on Friday morning, which was semi-enjoyable and stupidly decided last night at 9pm would be a good time to go for a run. I was wrong. Humid as hell and just generally energy sapping. Also thought it was a good idea to run up one of the steeper roads in the area, stupid idiot. 

Still, back on the horse, so to speak; so hopefully I can keep it up 

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    I did 30 mins today but the heat was unbearable - only managed 4.8k 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    Well, on that basis, wish me luck. I’m going in.....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I managed a run early on Sunday but that's probably it for me until it cools off.

Shame because I'm putting on weight from not running.
    Yeah, that was a big sweat fest. Did 5k. It's just too bleedin hot. I'm looking forward to cooler days, it'll be a breeze!
    Well done those getting out for a run in the heat. Just a few extra degrees makes alot of difference!

Make sure you hydrate after running (drink beer ;) )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hollllyyy shit. THAT was an even hotter one. I'm kind of enjoying it in a sick kind of way though. Feels good baby :lol: 
    One trick I use when it's really hot is to soak t-shirt in cold water before the run and then wring out so it is just damp and then wear on the run. Helps to keep core temperature cool. Usually fine for runs of upto an hour. Anything longer I take extra water and keep t-shirt wet along the way   Also if in running in direct sunlight then a buff/bandana etc soaked in water and worn to keep the back of the neck cool really helps. 
    5 miles last night easy pace run.

This morning out early(ish) and did 2 miles warm up, 5km/3.11m at tempo pace and 2.7 miles cool down = 7.7 miles.

5k was off road with 226 feet of hills and breathing is all over the place in this heat. I'm asthmatic so the heat really affects it. Also heart rate up. Anyway ran by heart rate to keep in zone 4 (tempo zone) and a bit down on what I'd expect but not 100% fit atm nore done much speed work atm. Did 24:46 which is about 1:30 off for this course. I'd normally expect 23 ish on the course and may get down to 22. On road/treadmill I'd be around 20-21. Anyway first 5km as a speed session for over a year and my normal training is geared more towards longer/slower runs. Good benchmark and see how it improves over the next 4 weeks. 5km is not my distance but good for speed work. Much prefer 10km since it gives a bit more time to settle.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    mcsdan said:
    One trick I use when it's really hot is to soak t-shirt in cold water before the run and then wring out so it is just damp and then wear on the run. Helps to keep core temperature cool. Usually fine for runs of upto an hour. Anything longer I take extra water and keep t-shirt wet along the way   Also if in running in direct sunlight then a buff/bandana etc soaked in water and worn to keep the back of the neck cool really helps. 
    Nice tip. I might try that today! I’ve started wearing a cap to keep the sun off and soak up the sweat (I’m a baldy) it’s ringing wet when I’ve done over 10k. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Problem I find with hats is they are very warm in the summer. I use either a visor or when hot like this a buff. You can wear so it covers your head and back of the neck. Called the "Pirate" or Ali G as I prefer lol

and sunglasses to stop eyeballs feeling like they've been sandpapered after a long run! lol

edited August 2020
    Just be careful wearing sunglasses!

A few years back I did a 100km race mid August off road from Newmarket to Colchester. It was a really hot day and checkpoints/water stations were about 10-12 miles apart. Lots of people dropping out of the race due to dehydration and many feeling sick due to the heat and lack of water.

We are warned out hydration and there is a condition in these long races where the body can effectively use muscle tissue as an energy source which without sufficient hydration can clog the kidneys up. The classic sign is wee that is really dark almost like coke. I know runners that have been pulled out of races due to this and one or two ended up in hospital.

Anyway I wore a buff like above and sunglasses with a dark tint to protect my eyes.  I got to the 50 mile checkpoint by a pub and went in the pub to use the loo and a bit of shade. I looked down as I was weeing and it was really dark. I thought 'oh crap this isn't good'. I proceeded to water station and drank lots of water and kept drinking more along the rest of the race really worried. About 4 miles later I had to wee due to the excess water I had drunk and found a bush. As I went to wee I realised I still had my sunglasses on with dark tint lenses. It was that causing everying inside to the pub to appear dark including my wee haha I had a laugh to myself for a bit. Twat!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's better. Run in the drizzle this morning. So much cooler and easier. 7.2 miles off road.

5x 5km for the week. It'll do. Agreed though, a lot cooler and more comfortable today.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1263
    edited September 2023
    [
    A steady 8k this evening. Still sweating like a pig.

I had something similar @steven70 a few months back. I had a couple of weeks rest and changed my trainers. I also religiously warm up/cool down now. It was still niggling right up until a few weeks ago, mind so it's a slow process. We're all different though, obviously, but these fews things worked for me. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    3.5 ploddy miles this morning. Unlikely I’ll get out tomorrow. But nice to start the week right 
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1263
    edited August 2020
    Thanks @Deadman - good advice and I defo need to warm up and stretch. I think I'll leave off a couple more weeks and than see how it goes on a short, easy run. I'm not young anymore and unfortunately these things take longer to mend than I'd like.