2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    mcsdan said:
    b*llocks! Part of tooth filling came out last night and been up all night in pain. Wont be running today as planned. Waiting for dentist appointment now! Oh well, probably a good time for a rest anyway!
    Nasty - have you put a temp filling in it? You can buy the kit from chemists. It helps until you can get to an appointment.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    yep, I've put in a temp filling and got to emergency dentist yesterday. They've given me anti-biotics since they think I may have an inection and need to see my normal dentist next week to get filling sorted.  No alcohol for 7 days either grrr!

Will have a few days off from running until I've seen dentist. Anyway, I've had a good 5 months of training so taking a few days off won't hurt. Time to catch up on some guitar songs!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3919
    Good man @mcsdan you’ve most definitely earned it! 

8 very sweaty k’s just now. I thought cooler weather was on the horizon. Oh well. I might have to have more than one shower this week at this rate. 
    Well done @Deadman. ; You need to learn the art of the "car park shower". No it's not that! lol

50 mins in with dentist today. Only slept 6 hours in the last 3 days! Ironically the ultramarathon runner mentallity meant I treat that as sleep deprivation training for the really long races  lol Feeling much better now so hoping to be back out on Wednesday.  Next race is only 6 weeks away and I've just booked my 2nd  100 miler for 2021 the weekend.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2020
    gentle 5.3 miles off road this morning with my daughter. All feeling good. Only lost 3 days in total on my training plan so nothing too much to worry about and short rest has probably done good.   Glad to be back out running and the breeze was great.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I usually do 8.5k on Wednesdays before work, but if I'm feeling good I bump it up to 10k. I felt good today so it was 10k in 57 minutes. Not too bad a time considering the 178m of climbing, plus I'm a fat old bloke!

I only allow myself 1 run a week due to hip deterioration (sad face).
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Well done all. I'll be back at it as soon as I stop sleeping 10 hours every night. :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3730
    Discovered that one  lap of the Harcourt Hill Parkrun plus there and back is almost 5k. Just need to come home the long way....
    well done all for getting out. Weather is certainly alot better for it atm

well done @axisus on a good 10k. Running does rather impact the joints abit.  I can do 5 days a week but need a couple of days break a week from the impact so either rest completely or may do some MTB instead. I have in the past run more than 5 times doing double days (2 runs in a day) to get the mileage up but still preferred to have the 2 days a week off. Plus it keeps the wife happy since I tie those breaks into the days she is off. Happy home counts for alot lol
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3919
    Particularly impressive @axisus you're really going for it, well done mate.

A (getting routine) 8k here for today. Rain coming down now, very welcome I have to say. Good evening all.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    First run for 2 weeks. I thought I'd try my usual 8 mile loop, but body said no after about 6.5 miles. It was good to get back out though.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    edited August 2020
    Well done gents. I started increasing my distance - 5ks morphed to 10s then a couple of longer ones (probably too far too soon) the result being ITBS issues at distances of ~ 7-8k.

Dropped back down to 5ks (pain free) and PB’d the 5k again at 23:22. Result!

I’m currently working on glute exercises to strengthen myself up. Foam rollering the major muscles - the IT band isn’t a muscle but keeping everything else healthy is key and being extra careful to warm up and cool down properly. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    Iamnobody said:
    Well done gents. I started increasing my distance - 5ks morphed to 10s then a couple of longer ones (probably too far too soon) the result being ITBS issues at distances of ~ 7-8k.

I’m currently working on glute exercises to strengthen myself up. Foam rollering the major muscles - the IT band isn’t a muscle but keeping everything else healthy is key and being extra careful to warm up and cool down properly. 
    Got any tips for moving from 5-10k? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Iamnobody said:

Increase your distance gradually, say by 10% each week to avoid injury and go at a slightly slower pace until you’ve built up more endurance. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    drofluf said:
    Iamnobody said:

Increase your distance gradually, say by 10% each week to avoid injury and go at a slightly slower pace until you’ve built up more endurance. 
    This ^ basically - I think I went 5,6, 7.5 then 10. Then once I’d got 10 I went looking for 12,14 15 etc which in hindsight was too far too soon. Basically when I run the engine can cope (I’m rarely out of breath) but the body can’t. 

Now I have to stop when I feel the pain coming on which isn’t ideal. 

...especially if you’re 20k from home :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2020
    drofluf said:
    ...especially if you’re 20k from home
    The weird thing is with this ITB issue it gives me a warning (about 1k before it’s too painful to run) and gradually gets worse. IfI stop the run and walk there’s no pain. Whereas when I buggered my knee up ( medial ligament) I could barely walk and had to stop running for around 3 months altogether.
    edited August 2020
    When building up distance do be aware that the body needs time to adapt so don't keep just increasing distance. Every 3-4 weeks have an easier shorter "long run". As above increase one of the runs a week by about 10%. So you could go 5k,5.5k, 6k then drop back to 5k before building again at say 6.5k, 7k, 8k etc. As the distance grows the frequency of down weeks may increase too.  So marathon runners may start at say 8 miles and build up with a down week every 4 weeks. As the distance builds - usually around the 15-16 mark - a shorter week every third week. When doing final long runs of say 20-22 they may be every other week.

Only increase one run a week like this. Don't try to increase each run you do!

A useful acronym with building any improvement in running is the FIT system

F- Frequency
    I - Intensity
    T- time

Only increase one of these during the week.  Likewise don't try to increase the long run, add in new interval session and go from 3 to 4 runs a week. Too much. You'd be surprised how often I've seen this approach with runners.  Enthusiasm and motivation are easy to come by - discipline to train properly and allow your body to recover usually isn't.

So building from 5k to 10k your focus is to get the distance (time) increased. Work on that only and keep everything else the same. Once you have the distance under your belt and done a couple of times then you can keep the distance consistent and work on pace (intensity).

Worth also mentioning that when increasing distance you should slow your pace a bit plus a bit more since you are building distance. A simple rule is double your 5k time and add 10%. However that is for a race so in training initially when building distance go a bit slower still.  The aim of building distance is to increase the aerobic capacity, capillaries, mitochondira and strengthen tendons etc. This happens at a much slower heart rate/speed. A good rule is that if you can talk all the way you are running the right speed. I've done 4 hour runs and chatted the whole time - actually helps take your mind off running. Obviously other people to talk to not just the squirrels and badgers!

Hope this helps
    edited August 2020
    Iamnobody said:
    drofluf said:
    ...especially if you’re 20k from home
    The weird thing is with this ITB issue it gives me a warning (about 1k before it’s too painful to run) and gradually gets worse. IfI stop the run and walk there’s no pain. Whereas when I buggered my knee up ( medial ligament) I could barely walk and had to stop running for around 3 months altogether.

Check your posture when running. Often the IT band isn't at fault. It is very strong and can withstand many times your body weight. However I've seen many times that posture can overload over muscles like TFL (Tensor fascia Latae) which is top of your quad/hip - roughly where that little pocket on front of jeans is. This can get overloaded quite easily, get tight and since it joins/crosses ITB it pulls on it and hence makes it tight. Not the ITB tight but the TFL pulling on ITB. Likewise with the PSOAS muscle which is linked to lower back and posture. So worth checking that these aren't tight. Variation on the lunge work well.

Strong glutes also help control the pelvis and leg rotation which lead to less overload of the smaller support muscles and no tight IT band.

Some videos below:-

Hope these help :)

TFL Stretch

TFL roll - I prefer this with a ball - gets right in there

PSOAS Stretch

I also find split squats/bulgarian split squats really help get a stretch on this area.

Some info on issues with trying to stretch the IT band - most stretches I've seen actually stretch other muscles not the ITB.

usual 7.25m run this morning. Either the rest has done me good or the tooth infection was having a big impact or both. Same route, same heart rate zone (2) yet 8 minutes quicker.