2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Great weather Saturday for running. Was out on a long run yesterday and was horrid - way too humid.  Anyway run done.  46 miles last week.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @steven70 ; do check trainers for support and also make sure you aren't running too fast too soon - puts more force on the achilles/foot. If persists it is worth seeing a physio but make sure they are used to dealing with runners.  You can also use ice applied to the area (in a cloth not directly) for about 15mins every couple of hours.  Once swelling has gone done then switch to heat for the same time.  The ice helps reduce initial inflamation and the heat helps bring blood to the areas to speed up healing.  Anyway a proper physio will give proper advice.

Hope you are back to running soon :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    well done @joneve. Great to start the week with a run. Keep it up :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1278
    edited August 2020
    mcsdan said:
    @steven70 ;; do check trainers for support and also make sure you aren't running too fast too soon - puts more force on the achilles/foot. If persists it is worth seeing a physio but make sure they are used to dealing with runners.  You can also use ice applied to the area (in a cloth not directly) for about 15mins every couple of hours.  Once swelling has gone done then switch to heat for the same time.  The ice helps reduce initial inflamation and the heat helps bring blood to the areas to speed up healing.  Anyway a proper physio will give proper advice.

Hope you are back to running soon
    Thank you @mcsdan - good advice and taken onboard. I'll try some ice and see if that helps. 
    I'll ask the local athletic club for a physio recommendation - looks like I'm going to have to be patient with this one.
    Cheers for the help.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I've been off for a week - had a wisdom tooth out under local and sill feeling crap - pain pain pain. There was quite a struggle.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    I've been off for a week - had a wisdom tooth out under local and sill feeling crap - pain pain pain. There was quite a struggle.

Oh no! Wishing you a speedy recovery :)
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    mcsdan said:

Thanks. There is progress, seems to get worse as the day wears on, but at the moment I think I'm virtually meds-free and I'm not reaching for more just yet. Eating seems comfortable, but obviously has a cumulative effect by the end of the day.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3919
    8k again tonight.

I've been getting a 'tight' right hamstring last couple of weeks. Actually began to hurt a little on yesterday's run. Anyhow, I didn't stretch off tonight in that area and consciously ran with a very short stride. It did the trick. Just shows how the little things can count.
    Ah, been there, had 2 out in the same sitting. I swear I bled for a month. GWS.
    mcsdan said:

Thanks. There is progress, seems to get worse as the day wears on, but at the moment I think I'm virtually meds-free and I'm not reaching for more just yet. Eating seems comfortable, but obviously has a cumulative effect by the end of the day.

Glad to hear you're on the mend :)
    5m last night with my daughter. She's had a couple of weeks off with work being busy so took it easy and did a route with the last couple of miles downhill. Seemed to do the trick and she did 5 miles all ok. Quite surpised I kept my heart rate in zone 1 for the whole distance with avg of 122bpm. Happy with that as a low aerobic run.

5.8m this morning in the rain doing long hill repeats. Went to local country park and found the biggest/longest hills to run. 2m warm up then 3.3m of the hills with just over 700feet and then a short cool down to finish. Need a bit more strength in my legs but this is a good way to do that. Progress will come.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    4miles in the pissing rain this morning with the dog. Was quite refreshing actually and glad I decided to nut up and not just change into my waterproofs and walk the dog instead. 

Generally happy with my pace, but still struggling to fire my glutes like I would, so running too much from the legs. 

Aiming to get at least 3 runs in a week. Going to see if I can get some trail shoes for Christmas so I can run the bridal paths through the winter when they're boggy/slippy AF. 
    Useful article here @joneve by James Dune (well known running physio) on glute activiation. One of the best ways to reinforce using them is with some hill repeats.  Anyway, sure you know all this but may be helpful to others too.

I also find pelvis position has a big impact on glutes firing - keeping a level pelvis rather than tilting forward from the hips. So focus on posture and a good cue is to imagine a helium balloon tied to back of your neck - pulls the upper body up (rather than slouching) and most times positions the upper body/pelvis correctly.

Well done getting out in the rain! Getting wet initially is the worst bit.

:)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mcsdan said:
    Useful article here @joneve by James Dune (well known running physio) on glute activiation. One of the best ways to reinforce using them is with some hill repeats.  Anyway, sure you know all this but may be helpful to others too.

I also find pelvis position has a big impact on glutes firing - keeping a level pelvis rather than tilting forward from the hips. So focus on posture and a good cue is to imagine a helium balloon tied to back of your neck - pulls the upper body up (rather than slouching) and most times positions the upper body/pelvis correctly.

Well done getting out in the rain! Getting wet initially is the worst bit.

:)

Thanks for this, very helpful! Will digest later 
    10k this morning, I was out at 6am. I've been knackered all day as a result though. Never mind.
    Deadman said:
    10k this morning, I was out at 6am. I've been knackered all day as a result though. Never mind.
    good work. 

Managed a tired 4 miles this morning. 

Upper legs (quads mostly) are noticeably more achy on my short "cool down" walk after runs, which is unusual so whatever I'm doing is obviously using different muscle groups to what I normally use (normally run from my calves)...just need to get that pain up into my glutes now...heading in the right direction though :D 

Cheers @joneve that's a great effort too. Yeah I get niggles all the time. Usually some sort of adjustment sorts it out, latest being shorter strides and NOT overstretching my right hamstring before and after a run. No pain at all in that area now.
    edited August 2020
    Deadman said:

Excellent, well done. No runs for me the last 2 days - resting up. I have 2 long runs this weekend instead (20 & 12-15) otherwise known as back to back long runs. Idea is to run the 2nd day on tired legs to get used to the fatigue further into a race.

On the plus side I've played lots of guitar the last 2 days :)
    I think I'll have a rest day tomorrow......possibly..... :lol: 
    b*llocks! Part of tooth filling came out last night and been up all night in pain. Wont be running today as planned. Waiting for dentist appointment now! Oh well, probably a good time for a rest anyway!