Stack of Twang: 3x Tele style buids

What's Hot

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Cheers Matt, I did think about just having it natural because my first guitar was like that. But I got parts to make a aged but not-quite-vintage-correct one so ploughing on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Did the Esquire top, a metallic/pearl light bluey mix. Binding to be sorted later

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Well, shit.

So I got some new hi gloss thinners, didn't think anything of it. Came to clearing the top and it's gone blotchy, almost like clouds (not bloom..). So I ignore the fact it looked perfect in sunlight and thought I must've done a bad job. Sand, mask, repaint, scrape again.
    Again looks perfect in all lights. Clear again - and same again... 

I'd also cleared a neck which has a thin tint coat on, just to knock off the paleness - and noticed all the tint had gone, as if by magic. It's now a natural maple instead of tinted. Bizarre.

Putting it aside till I can find the will to strip it and poss re-bind, or just make a new body. This one is nice and light though.

Doing some other things at the mo but the stripey one is in some sealer/sighting clearcoat at least

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Overdue update, but been doing other bits & bobs as well.

While we're in T-territory there's another two Tele bodies underway, one should make for a guitar somewhere in the 5 1/2 lb territory. Almost worried about neck dive. 
    The blue one^ is still kicking my chuff, but that's another thing. It's now a goldtop.

Stripey one is waiting on some parts, the back is in a red-brown mix now. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021 tFB Trader
    And the blackguard is getting beaten up on a semi-regular basis- 

It's nice to not have to baby a thing for a change, just let it take up some semi-real life scars.

No overall body pic cos I can't get the colours right off the phone camera, and don't know how to make it look right.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 829
    I've just enjoyed reading your thread and can only look on in awe at your work.

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Nice ! - loving the ageing on the blackguard.   Do you use a freezer to crack the nitro?

Also I noticed the edges of the body look dirty where you've worn them away - similar to how my bodies start to look when I get untidy with fret levelling and get fret metal dust all over my hands!  

It looks very convincing ageing. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7876
    Crikey Bill, awesome work. In particular, love that blue combo, but all look superb. 
    tFB Trader
    Thanks very much all!
    tFB Trader
    B/G-ish is about done. Things I wish I hadn't done like the CS-type arm wear and others but was for a reason. As usual I can't get colour right in pics but here it is.
    Plays really well with low action, only one fret is very slightly low in a spot. Nut is temporary. 12" radius and frets in a size close to 6150.. as ever more interested in playing then vintage correct detail. And Gotoh Intune saddles modded to take vintagey filister screws, so intonation is good.

The @Mojopickups Broadcaster set sound brill. Of all the guitars been through here this is one of the very few where the other half stopped in as she was walking past and said 'that sounds nice!'. Can't stop playing it at the mo'.

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    What a great looking Tele!  =)

Very impressive work.
    tFB Trader
    Thanks kindly!
    tFB Trader
    Long delay updating with this & that going on, but another Tele-type started, poplar & maple, hoping it ends up 7lbs or under

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Had a bit of a disaster with this and was fed up with the thing, couldn't face sanding & polishing it - managed to get a few gold sparkles buried in it... must've mixed my clears & metallics cleaning gear up. They only show in sunlight or very strong light but it's well annoying, would be a right PITA to strip. I decided to get onto the final stretch though and start polishing.

The neck's 9-pieces with streaky ebony board which fits in with the mineral-streaky top and the randomness of the pear body back (bits of light flame and colouring change and pin knots etc). The neck maple is pretty streaky with bits of birds eye and this 'n that. OK to use for a neck because the centre section is strong and springy.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Never mind disaster, looks beautiful
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3215
    normula1 said:
    My thoughts exactly, I’d be proud to play a guitar that looked that good! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Thanks a lot :) I guess it's spending so much effort trying to be spot on and self critical, I get a bit down when it goes south, and find other bits of trees to bother instead :)
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    normula1 said:
    My thoughts exactly, I’d be proud to play a guitar that looked that good! 
    What they said - it looks fantastic.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

tFB Trader
    Cheers Dan, hope your Tele's been good.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27543
    Looks beautiful to me  - more congrats!

Good to see you posting again @dchwhite!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.