Iron Maiden - New Material!

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400

Livestream happening now - sounds good so far. Here's hoping the album isn't full of rather dull (IMHO) 15 minute songs....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    Can't decide if I like it or not. One thing is for sure is sounds infinitely better on Spotify tha! YouTube. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 123
    I like the last few albums but they could do with a producer who recognises when a song is too long.

Quite like this new tune, from the opening low D note I guess it's in D-standard or drop-D, which would be first for Maiden (me thinks, not sure about the Blaze era).
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    It's an Adrian Smith composition. Does actually sound a lot like the stuff he's been doing with Richie Kotzen recently. 

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4833
    I quite liked that, but I agree with Woodenhead, Maiden have the same problem Metallica has. So rich and long in the tooth that they produce themselves (producer is just a yes man), which leads to problems with stupid long songs for instance. Total lack of QC at times, and it's frustrating!! 

Still they've both produced some classics even this late in their careers. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4102
    It will make the Iron Maidens
    Happy
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 549
    edited July 2021
    Very 'mature' solo which I loved, but Bruce's singing is starting to annoy me a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    I like the last few albums but they could do with a producer who recognises when a song is too long.

Quite like this new tune, from the opening low D note I guess it's in D-standard or drop-D, which would be first for Maiden (me thinks, not sure about the Blaze era).
    They have used Drop D before - I think on the Final Frontier and Book of Souls album.

The intro to the new song sounds like DADGAD to me, but I could be wrong.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Shot downnnnnn….in a blaze of glory……dead or alive…..until the vocals 
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited July 2021
    tone1 said:
    Shot downnnnnn….in a blaze of glory……dead or alive…..until the vocals 
    I’m not sure that’s Iron Maiden, despite the word Blaze :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22906
    I read a feature about the video last night and watched it, but with the sound down (it was very late), so I haven't heard the song yet.

A lot of hype about the video and how much work had gone into it, but it's an uncomfortable mix of half-arsed ideas and different animation styles with a whiff of penny-pinching about it.  Most of it looks like a Disturbed video from about 15 years ago.

Enough moaning about that, I'll listen to the song later!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    I like the bit in the video where they reanimate Biff Byford then turn him into a goat. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I like the bit in the video where they reanimate Biff Byford then turn him into a goat. 
    Looking at a recent picture of Saxon I had an idea of re-booting Last of the Summer Wine and getting the whole band to star in it.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Philly_Q said:
    Looking at a recent picture of Saxon I had an idea of re-booting Last of the Summer Wine and getting the whole band to star in it.
    I met them once. Such a miserable bunch of sods. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4172
    Philly_Q said:
    I read a feature about the video last night and watched it, but with the sound down (it was very late), so I haven't heard the song yet.

A lot of hype about the video and how much work had gone into it, but it's an uncomfortable mix of half-arsed ideas and different animation styles with a whiff of penny-pinching about it.  Most of it looks like a Disturbed video from about 15 years ago.

Enough moaning about that, I'll listen to the song later!
    It really does look like a disturbed video from early 2000’s :) 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4172
    Did anyone spot the Sooty puppet 1:51 near the bike wheel, I noticed it this morning. There’s also a no prayer for the dying tombstone 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2021
    Did anyone spot the Sooty puppet 1:51 near the bike wheel, I noticed it this morning. There’s also a no prayer for the dying tombstone 
    Only watched it on my phone so I’m sure I’ll spot more details when I’ve seen it properly....but there’s also the crashed frame of the R101 airship in the same shot as Sooty.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    FarleyUK said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I met them once. Such a miserable bunch of sods. 
    I think there are only two original members left now so I guess it depends which members/ line ups you met but I've met various of them a couple of times and Biff was such a nice guy to me. Going back many years now and maybe he's grumpier these days but such a cool guy at the time.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Listened to it now... I like it.  It feels like lots of very familiar bits assembled in a slightly different order, but I like those bits.

The chorus doesn't really grab me, and I agree with @kossofffan about Bruce's voice, I often find it a bit grating.  Normally you look at the vocal as the main melodic content of a song, but in Maiden I'm always most drawn to the guitar guitar parts, they have lovely little melodic hooks.

On second viewing, the presence of Samurai Eddie and the previous Eddie incarnations on motorbikes makes even less sense....
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    edited July 2021
    Hmm - a post-apocalyptic video over a sea shanty.

Would you Adam and Eve it?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 308
    ................ Bruce's singing is starting to annoy me a little.

I have to agree, he needs to choose songs which are a bit easier on the voice.  Maidens stuff is a bit to "samey" for me, I have seen them 3 times when Bruce' voice was better and he didn't sound as if he was straining to get the notes out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom