Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• The interface is also the selling point for me. I'm sold on the individual labelling, the colour coding, and the apparent ease of editing. I previously had an HD500X and I took it back within 14 days because it wasn't instantly simple to use. But the Helix actually looks and appears to work just like a pedalboard, so hopefully no need for a degree in Rocket Surgery to operate the thing :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, it's the combination of the signal path editing, customisable footswitch assignment, plus the fx loops/amp control I/O's that caught my attention initially. Forgive my ignorance if I'm mistaken but, I don't think I've seen a product yet that offered all of that in a single (non-MIDI-dependant) format.

Fingers, limbs, and appendages crossed in anticipation.

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    Clearly I am "thicker than a whale omlette" but so far I have found the Helix demos pretty confusing!

I understand blocks and signal chains from my Eleven Rack and since having a looper and a MIDI enabled amp and MIDI enabled pedals I've managed to get all of those working as I need them, so would like to think that if I were to try a Helix I could suss it out.

Am still very interested by it, seems it could be perfect for gigging 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited August 2015
    I've been through the whole spillover thing before…

the 2120 does do spillover so changing presets mid-song was never and issue..
    not only were the delay and reverb tails preserved, you can actually configure the time to preserve them for..
    this is really cool cos if you have a preset with a giant reverb / delay, you can make a preset change that'll not chop the tails, but will end them sooner.. this means the transitions sound natural whilst being able to keep them tidy

when I switched to the VG-99, spillover was available but seriously limited..
    it only worked under specific circumstances [essentially the delay in the next preset had to have the same settings and be in the same location in the fx-chain… pretty duff..
    so I came up with a plan.. the MIDI side of the VG-99 is absolutely superb, and it has two fx-chains side by side.. the chains meet at the VG's mixer which has it's own reverb and delay.. I figured you could make 'dual-tone' presets.. so I created a riff/solo preset and a clean/solo preset.. these used the delay / reverb in the VG's mixer.. as I was simply flipping from one chain to the other to get say from riffing to soloing and back, the reverb and delay tails were preserved.
    I found that turning off the input to the delay / reverb meaning the tails sound until they decay naturally.. no need to switch preset..
    so I added an FS-6 switch to the FC-300 controller, set the A switch to flip between rhythm and solo, and the B switch to do something else [usually pop in a phaser or univibe].. it was really easy to set up in the VG-99 editor

when I switched to the Axe-II, I found that the spillover situation was not much different to the VG-99.. but I was armed with the knowhow to make this work… I started building 'dual-tone' presets in the Axe… they worked superb…
    a lot of guys in the FAS forum starting getting pretty interested in this [seems like I was not the only guy that demanded better spillover performance] and my lil' solution started to catch on with a few guys…
    about 6 months later, FAS introduced 'scenes' where you can take up to 8 snapshots of fx-block on/off states.. this opened the way to 'multi-tone' presets… even more powerful..
    I run 5 scenes [which works well for me].. now I can have riff, solo, clean plus two extras in a preset..
    I figured that if I group the songs in the set by the types of tones needed, I could create a single preset that'd get me through the bulk of the set, and for those that don't, copy the main preset and build in the differences..
    I found that I could play most of the set on one preset, two songs with another, and one preset for just one specific song..
    works beautifully..

the solution is therefore, build everything you can within a single preset [where possible] and only change preset between [never during] songs.. 
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Drew_fx said:
    How I'm thinking of using it:

4 cable method with my Diezel D-Moll.
    Four switches across the bottom setup to change the channels of the D-Moll via midi program changes, whilst at the same time enabling or bypassing a tubescreamer or boost model, to give me the four levels of gain that I look for - clean, crunchy clean, chunky rhythm, high-gain rhythm and solos.
    Eventide H9 in one of the loops to cover me for effects that the Helix doesn't yet do.
    Have a phaser, two delays, and a reverb on the switches across the top row.
    Have the preamp signal from the Diezel D-Moll go to it's own path in parallel to the main path. Have a cabinet IR on this path. Route the path to it's own output. Have this output go to IEM's so that I can monitor my playing without relying on the FOH. Would also allow me to keep the stage levels low.
    Route a vocal microphone into the Helix on it's own path. Process my voice with compression, a bit of dirt and delay, and feed from it's own output directly to the FOH. Also try to route to my IEM's.

I just hope I can do all that within one preset!
    Wow!  All that just to play Paranoid?
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    MrBump said:
    Drew_fx said:

Four switches across the bottom setup to change the channels of the D-Moll via midi program changes, whilst at the same time enabling or bypassing a tubescreamer or boost model, to give me the four levels of gain that I look for - clean, crunchy clean, chunky rhythm, high-gain rhythm and solos.
    Eventide H9 in one of the loops to cover me for effects that the Helix doesn't yet do.
    Have the preamp signal from the Diezel D-Moll go to it's own path in parallel to the main path. Have a cabinet IR on this path. Route the path to it's own output. Have this output go to IEM's so that I can monitor my playing without relying on the FOH. Would also allow me to keep the stage levels low.
    Route a vocal microphone into the Helix on it's own path. Process my voice with compression, a bit of dirt and delay, and feed from it's own output directly to the FOH. Also try to route to my IEM's.

haha!
    Drew_fx said:
    MrBump said:
    Drew_fx said:

haha!

been looking at the Helix... it looks like is has 4 send returns..

@Drew_fx iirc, your D-Mol should have an fx-loop per channel

what if....

ch1 send -> Helix return1

ch2 send -> Helix return2

ch3 send -> Helix return3

master send -> Helix return4

Helix output -> master return

The Helix can switch channels via MIDI and switch the desired fx off / on as you change channels so you can call up giant reverb/ delays for your spacious, ambient cleans, dry right up to riff, add a touch of reverb / delay for solos..

the master send could be for something you want on all the time.. like a tiny smidge of "room" reverb, or a general EQ.. or so you can punch in some fx no matter what channel you're running.. like a phaser / chorus / lo-fi eq / or some more exotic combination of toys

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Nah the D-Moll only has a single effects loop dude. But it should still be able to do what you're talking about. The D-moll would have to just go in a single loop on the Helix. Which is fine.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

Arrgh! Why did you have to remind me about Anderton's 0% finance?

*Must pay things off first, must pay things off first, must pay things off first*

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    Nah the D-Moll only has a single effects loop dude. But it should still be able to do what you're talking about. The D-moll would have to just go in a single loop on the Helix. Which is fine.

from this I conclude that you need a VH4..

mmmm.... VH4..... yummie VH4.. neeeeed VH4..... </amp GAS hypnosis>

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9543
    I've gotta admit, that's the first time I've ever thought about a pedal free rig...

It does look awesome.

It's how the amps sounds, and the ODs for me... That generic American rock tone which seems to pervade all these type of products, sound woeful to my ears.

But... hmmm..very very interesting
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6155
    tFB Trader
    The helix gas is not subsiding...... Damn you line 6!!!!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    Thorpy, I've never encountered a decent modelled sound AND a good user interface though mate..,

Maybe it's due...
  • FaCowFaCow Frets: 40
    Thing is I have spent probably double what  helix is going to cost over the years on individual pedals. I'm going to have to try it in store before I make any rash decisions to convert over to this single box though. All those months of finding the perfect OD or compressor etc... kind of makes you love your rig as it's "yours."
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited August 2015
    @wazmeister but what's swaying me is that the amp modeling is not actually that important... it makes a good backup rig and useful recording tool but the interface and 4cm means that you can integrate you amp in loads of ways... and still keep your most important pedals in the Helix' loops.
    tFB Trader
    Thorpy, I've never encountered a decent modelled sound AND a good user interface though mate..,

Maybe it's due...
    this is whats swaying me, it seems to be the real deal in all ways .... truth be told I've seen it in the flesh and its a thing of beauty.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    More money than sense us lot....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thorpy6;760795" said:
    And with 4 loops, you need to develop at least two more pedals before you truly start running out of options! ;)
    tFB Trader
    thorpy6;760795" said:
    And with 4 loops, you need to develop at least two more pedals before you truly start running out of options! ;)
    hahahaa and they are already done....... just waiting in the wings.
  • thorpy6;760848" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

thorpy6;760795" said:The helix gas is not subsiding...... Damn you line 6!!!!

hahahaa and they are already done....... just waiting in the wings.
    Spill the beans you tease!