Show a bit of your solo'ing style

What's Hot

What about a thread to show a bit of your technique, here's a bit of mine

Bring em on and put em here so we can all nick bits off each other :)
www.2020studios.co.uk 
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Got no videos, sadly - or are you thinking audio-only too?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    This solo crams most of my characteristic techniques into 40 seconds. Some of my fellow blues-jammers play Big Jon Bingo for things like the behind the nut harmonic bend and the flick of the strings behind the nut right at the end!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'll have to look at the others when I get home (at work right now).

Here's an old one of mine. It was originally an improv that I recorded, but as it was way better than my usual improv's I went back and learned it note for note then did a video. (not saying it's good, just way better than my usual!)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I have no style. Or talent.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    but lots of dirt boxes though @mike_l which in my experience makes up for a lot :)

That's true. A badly aimed bunch of dirt pedals switched on together has left most of south Cambs, Suffolk and Norfolk flattened.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Got no videos, sadly - or are you thinking audio-only too?
    Yeah audio only is cool as well

@axisus : nice playing there, I like it

@bigjon : pity the camera wasn't as good as the playing
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Pub rock warning!

My solo starts about halfway through the clip...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A terribly static performance, quite a few years ago, playing the song a little too fast. But this probably sums up my approach. We've refined the performance and included backing singing now which makes it a little more bearable!!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:

What about a thread to show a bit of your technique, here's a bit of mine

Bring em on and put em here so we can all nick bits off each other :)
    I like that, it is very Dave Gilmour (as per the title), but what appeals to me are the gaps... so nice to actually here a solo with some space in it, so many improves are just a mad flurry of notes.... (mine included)
  • I like that, it is very Dave Gilmour (as per the title), but what appeals to me are the gaps... so nice to actually here a solo with some space in it, so many improves are just a mad flurry of notes.... (mine included)
    You're gonna hate mine, then...

No taste? image
    Too many notes? image
    Series of licks loosely connected by long notes? image
    Bad hair? image

Yep. Job done.
    <space for hire>
    6reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @digitalscream - you see, I quite like that. A lot in fact.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    edited November 2014
    digitalscream - you see, I quite like that. A lot in fact.
    Really? Now I'm confused. I'm not even entirely sure that I like it, and it's going on the album :P

(thank you, by the way)

I did leave the mistakes in, just to prove that I'm not miming along to the album take. I've got ethics.
    <space for hire>
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4532
    edited November 2014
    @digitalscream I'll buy your hair off you if you are not happy with it 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited November 2014
    Your hair is better than mine @digitalscream ;

I have two paths I usually go for, either melody and chords at the same time (creates a bloody nightmare for clarity, hence why I'm trying EMG pickups soon), or traditional style solos.  I try to come up with the idea before playing it, to try and avoid playing shapes my fingers are used to.  One thing I've noticed though is I do at some point seem to use an open string in nearly every solo I do.

Here would be an example of a section where I'd take a more 'whole arrangement' approach to soloing, rather than just single notes.

And here are some examples of more traditional style solos.  I try to not be too flashy and go for melodies that I've written rather than improvising, though I accept that many non rock/metal players would probably categorise me as a flashy player.  I don't really feel like I'm a shred guitarist by style though.

2:12 here

Or here -

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I can't play for shit compared to some of you guys so what I lack in quality I'm going to make up in quantity with a few soundcloud clips with solos in. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    edited November 2014
    OK, @guitarfishbay's post has prompted me to think a bit about the different kinds of solo I do. That one I posted is the tasteless, flashy one...I wasn't going to post this, but I feel I need to redeem myself a bit so here's another track from the album:

Solo starts at 2:04 - it's a bit more melodic, and takes a lot of cues from the clean rhythm guitar in the verses to lead in to the end chorus. I guess this is the more "compositional" type of solo from me - the previous one is more of what happens when I'm in a hurry and don't really have time to do much but widdly-widdly. There's still a bit of widdly silliness in there, but it's more of an accent on the theme than the focus. At least, that's how it was supposed to be.
    <space for hire>
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    No clips but sadly accurate description.

Minor pentatonic, few bends on b & e string, some generic lick I mess up, descend scale a little realise its shite, stop.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Have WOW'd the playing I enjoyed. All of it.

@bigjon or @viz may have video of my (bad) pentatonic ramblings at a jam somewhere.

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    edited November 2014
    I've only ever uploaded a couple of things to Soundcloud, and I'm almost embarrassed to post them but here they are:

This was done in GarageBand on my iPad about 11 months ago

And this one is over a backing track that Mrs Hobbio knocked up in between her proper work about 9 months ago

I really need to record some more stuff and see where I'm at now.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread