Show a bit of your solo'ing style

What's Hot

Comments

• viz said:
    I might as well pop my mustang sally solo from the same place up again ....

Oh and here's a fun little persian scale at the end of this clip:
    awesome. I was going to post a clip from an old mustang sally version my old band did, but I don't think I will now !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like that, it is very Dave Gilmour (as per the title), but what appeals to me are the gaps... so nice to actually here a solo with some space in it, so many improves are just a mad flurry of notes.... (mine included)
    You're gonna hate mine, then...

No taste? image
    Too many notes? image
    Series of licks loosely connected by long notes? image
    Bad hair? image

Yep. Job done.
    Not at all, that's pretty cool - the long notes add the needed space and enables the quick licks to hang together, I think that's the point the solo breaths enough, even if it is a more speed style solo :) FWIW I like it!  

What I wouldn't like is if you took those long notes out and just went full blast throughout. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    edited December 2014
    From our maiden gig. Disclaimer is that the timing is a lot better in rehearsal, and no dropped notes!

Kill2Love Clip from Angus Cameron on Vimeo.

• vizviz Frets: 10707
    viz said:
    I might as well pop my mustang sally solo from the same place up again ....

Oh and here's a fun little persian scale at the end of this clip:
    awesome. I was going to post a clip from an old mustang sally version my old band did, but I don't think I will now !

oh PLEASE @vibetronic, i'd love to see that - u know i'm a fan of your playing!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Great thread - good to see everybody playing!!
  • @viz and @digitalscream are now my idols.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • harpo said:
    I recorded this earlier tonight over a Justin Derrico jam track through the iPad...

That's a great sound.......what tech stuff are you using to record that on an I pad (Assume I am not (technically housed up but I have an I pad and a guitar :-). ) @barney Fookinell! What exactly is that pick and finger thing you're doing on the cross string bits?

Cheers. I'm just using the guitar into a Line 6 Sonic Port which is plugged into the iPad.  I then use JamUp Pro for the guitar sounds and record everything in Garageband on the iPad.  
    @digitalscream is my idol too! What is that song, DS? It sounds like Charlie Dominici singing.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Damn, guys, you're making me blush :D

@viz, you're no slouch yourself...both of those songs are from our album (out next month). The first one is God Help Me, second is Sunset of Red.
    <space for hire>
    Great stuff.

• The solo's at about 2:35. Nowt flashy, but I think it works in the song.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    There's bits of solo all the way through, but this was back before I got rusty...  My brain still thinks I can play like this, my hands disagree...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This isn't the only style I play but I do like going for a Jeff Beck style approach a lot of the time…

This is ace! Nicely played!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    This isn't the only style I play but I do like going for a Jeff Beck style approach a lot of the time…

This is ace! Nicely played!

ooh missed that, that's really gorgeous. Nice one.
  • oh PLEASE @vibetronic, i'd love to see that - u know i'm a fan of your playing!
    cheers dude ! It's not as tasteful as yours though ! Here's one from a sweaty pub gig last year, sound quality isn't great but you get the idea. (I think this was the gig where my only payment was a parking ticket after....)

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Here's one from a sweaty pub gig last year, sound quality isn't great but you get the idea. (I think this was the gig where my only payment was a parking ticket after....)
    Sheer quality! I don't suppose you've got that one from Gasfest with you, geetarfreak & Jason Morris squirrelled away somewhere? I'd love to see that again, it was the most insane 36 bars of slow-blues soloing I've ever seen!
    Insane vibe, insane. BJ, Fret's got that video (or was it bradders?) and I even think I saw it on ewe-chewb a year ago. That was wicked. Guitarfreeek with his fretless vigier :)
  • thanks both :) I don't have that Gasfest one I'm afraid - I had a CD with it on, and I spent ages looking for it when Jase passed away and then again when we moved house, but it never came to light. Would love to see it if someone does have a copy. In the meantime I found this clip of Mr Morris from Wyniro. An awesome player who left us far too early. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ah yes, mike_strat's probably got video of you 3, vibetronic.