2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    The nurse told me to calm it down a bit. Instead of 6 runs a week she said do 3 or 4, slow it down and breath in through my nose and out through my mouth to avoid "drying everything out". I nearly broke the spirometer anyway so there's nowt wrong with me and it's definitely exercise induced.

Will I follow her advice??? We'll see... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33794
    @Deadman do you consume dairy?
    I find my asthma is much better if I don't.
    Only a splash of milk in my tea and maybe the odd cheese sandwich on a Saturday afternoon so minimal. I doubt that would have any bearing? Cheers mate.
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    10 km this morning.  It's still a bloody long way.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    6 miles up the canal at lunchtime. I felt my hip/pelvis a bit more than usual, possibly because I've been working from home which consists of sitting up in bed with a laptop, er, on my lap.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Fantastic weather for running today. 10.4 miles. Back out to coach this evening for 3-4 miles with the improvers group.

234 miles/376Km.
    6 miles up the canal at lunchtime. I felt my hip/pelvis a bit more than usual, possibly because I've been working from home which consists of sitting up in bed with a laptop, er, on my lap.
    Well done. Same here, sit dow at desk all day so often tight hip flexors. Some lunges as part of warm up help though :-)
    Deadman said:
    The nurse told me to calm it down a bit. Instead of 6 runs a week she said do 3 or 4, slow it down and breath in through my nose and out through my mouth to avoid "drying everything out". I nearly broke the spirometer anyway so there's nowt wrong with me and it's definitely exercise induced.

Will I follow her advice??? We'll see... :)
    Odd. I've got asthma and since running my peak flow has gone from around 300 upto over 600. They reduced medication to absolute minimum and just told me to keep on running.

I tend to breath in/out through mouth when running to enable enough air in/out. When not running then through nose and out through mouth.

I find, along with asthmatics I coach, that it takes longer to warm up breathing and for it to settle. A short warm up of 5-10 mins then let heart return to normal before starting does wonders. In longer races I start off easier for first 3-6 miles.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33794
    I also breath in/out through the mouth when running, and also have asthma.
    I've tried to do in through nose but I just can't do it.
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the info gents. The nurse and her colleague were a little stumped too so who knows. I blew 800 on 3 occasions and my chest was clear.

I've just done 5km in through nose out through mouth and have no rales and 'filled' my lungs throughout. So, maybe that's how I have to go from now on.

290km + 5km = 295km. Nearly in the 300 club!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    147km + 5km = 152km
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    I agree with the others regarding breathing. I cant get enough air in by breathing in through my nose but if it  works for you then keep doing it.

35km so far this week, 359 in total.

The new route to work is no fun at all, drop kerbs, side roads, crossings and traffic. Hey ho. 
    The light evenings are coming so I can get out in the woods again. That will be much more fun. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I was considering running to and from work, one of my more mentally-challenged ideas. It would consist of parking at the old Severn bridge and running 9 miles each way, I would save about £10 per commute. I scouted it a few years ago, but there was no safe way to do it as the route consists largely of country lanes. Any verge is raised with drainage channels every 50 metres or so, a complete pain and an ankle-killer. I may try to find footpaths and have a go in summer, as far as I can make out there aren't enough footpaths though.
    5 miles at lunchtime. I'm trying to get back into the swing, so 20 miles for this week won't be bad considering my recent poor efforts.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    295km + 5km = 300km

I'm following orders (nurse). Honest.
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    I was considering running to and from work, one of my more mentally-challenged ideas. It would consist of parking at the old Severn bridge and running 9 miles each way, I would save about £10 per commute. I scouted it a few years ago, but there was no safe way to do it as the route consists largely of country lanes. Any verge is raised with drainage channels every 50 metres or so, a complete pain and an ankle-killer. I may try to find footpaths and have a go in summer, as far as I can make out there aren't enough footpaths though.
    It's just under 4 miles for me which is doable twice a day. Even then I only do it 3 days a week.  I'm not fit or strong enough to do more. Maybe in time that will change.  9 miles twice a day would be much more than I could handle.

Being safe is important.  The old route was great as it was mostly on a gravel track around the Army ranges. When I run on the pavement I wear hi viz and lights like a christmas tree.  roads without pavement are best avoided I reckon.  
    DamianP said:
    It's just under 4 miles for me which is doable twice a day. Even then I only do it 3 days a week.  I'm not fit or strong enough to do more. Maybe in time that will change.  9 miles twice a day would be much more than I could handle.

Being safe is important.  The old route was great as it was mostly on a gravel track around the Army ranges. When I run on the pavement I wear hi viz and lights like a christmas tree.  roads without pavement are best avoided I reckon.  
    Yep agreed I should avoid the lanes. I feel safer on a bike, which I guess is bizarre when you think about it. It would only be once a week I should think, if it ever happens. I'm aiming to up the mileage and this would be a good way to do it. There are footpaths but who knows what state they're in, and the run would be more like 11 each way then. I've seen some around the office get overgrown with brambles, vanish into a ditch, all sorts.
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    10.5 km today.  I'm not saying it was wet, but I was actually drier stood in the shower.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1473
    With just over 4 months til the London Triathlon, I went for my first run on Tuesday night. Managed 3.1 miles in bang on 30 mins, which I was quite pleased with.

Didn't bother to a.) stretch or b.) warm down, so I couldn't walk for the next two days, and my legs are still a bit stiff! but I'm going to try and get out tonight if I can for a little leg loosener. 
    joneve said:
    With just over 4 months til the London Triathlon, I went for my first run on Tuesday night. Managed 3.1 miles in bang on 30 mins, which I was quite pleased with.
    Well done :) What distance tri are you doing?