Happy St Georges Day

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10340
    Offset said:
    ^^ I'm not sure what I'm claiming they are doing apart from making themselves look daft.

And they are morons. I do get what you are saying @Kurtis and I agree that it is better to engage than put people down, but there has never been a better time in history to educate yourself as to what's really going on out there. The problem is that doing so takes effort, not a quick glance at the latest headline on GB News or post on Facebook.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 739
    Offset said:
    ^^ I'm not sure what I'm claiming they are doing apart from making themselves look daft.
    "The only conclusion I could reach is that their motivation was - at least in part - racial.  I mean... nursery rhymes FFS... we all know where that one was going!" 

Fair enough, seems pretty clear what you are claiming to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1305
    Some more, but it is tommy robinson supporters. Majority saying they are here protesting against more  brown people without actually saying they dont like brown people.
    Thankfully a small minority shortly to become extinct. 
    Funny watch though. A shame interviewer didnt remind some that St George was actually brown. lol
    3:20 if you dont want to watch it all..

Dont worry, be silly.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11991
    edited April 26
    Kurtis said:
    Offset said:
    "The only conclusion I could reach is that their motivation was - at least in part - racial.  I mean... nursery rhymes FFS... we all know where that one was going!" 

I can make it a lot more explicit if that would help.  I think it's safe to assume that the nursery rhyme to which one of the contributors referred was Baa Baa Black Sheep.

"A warning that the nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep should not be taught in schools because it is "racially offensive" has been scrapped. The guidelines by education chiefs at Birmingham City Council were dropped after black parents condemned the advice as ridiculous."

Morons?  Yep, I think that fits.

* EDIT - and here's where they pick up this type of shit:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2796447/lyrics-baa-baa-black-sheep-changed-kindergarten-teachers-racial-overtones.html
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:
    Offset said:

I can make it a lot more explicit if that would help.  I think it's safe to assume that the nursery rhyme to which one of the contributors referred was Baa Baa Black Sheep.

"A warning that the nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep should not be taught in schools because it is "racially offensive" has been scrapped. The guidelines by education chiefs at Birmingham City Council were dropped after black parents condemned the advice as ridiculous."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2796447/lyrics-baa-baa-black-sheep-changed-kindergarten-teachers-racial-overtones.html
    So you do know what you were claiming? 
    Kurtis said:
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:
    Offset said:

So you do know what you were claiming? 
    This is starting to sound like an episode of 'Yes, Minister'.

Not that the point is worth further debate but I'm interpreting what I think you were saying I was claiming.  For the avoidance of doubt, I have now spelled it out.

If you want to justify the views of Mail-reading people draped in the flag of St George who think their 'rights' are being eroded by the non-existent banning of a nursery rhyme, that's entirely up to you.
    I'm not trying to justify anything  =)

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Its not just the people in these videos, I speak to people all the time who say "you can't say anything" and "who know's what gender will be next" etc etc.  Some of it is age and being from a different era but a lot of people seem confused and wary of what they can say and sad that things have changed so much.

I don't get the feeling that most of them are right wingers although I'm sure many are conservative with a small c, I live in an affluent area with an ageing population.  I do have some sympathy but much of it is generational I think - I feel like I don't have views like them but my 19 year old daughter of course thinks I'm a dinosaur.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 26
    munckee said:
    Its not just the people in these videos, I speak to people all the time who say "you can't say anything" and "who know's what gender will be next" etc etc.  Some of it is age and being from a different era but a lot of people seem confused and wary of what they can say and sad that things have changed so much.

I don't get the feeling that most of them are right wingers although I'm sure many are conservative with a small c, I live in an affluent area with an ageing population.  I do have some sympathy but much of it is generational I think - I feel like I don't have views like them but my 19 year old daughter of course thinks I'm a dinosaur.
    Thing about places like that is it probably hasn't changed much for a while and the only time they actually hear about any of these issues is in the media.

Interesting that Mrs Green from down the lane is in the same group as Mr White the 20 something skinhead. 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 802
    Kurtis said:
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:
    I think there's a large section of society that feel they have no voice or power and this gives them something to hold on to.

Certainly not saying it's right but pretty sure pointing at them and calling them idiots isn't going to fix it. 
    I get your drift, but no-one pointed at them and called them idiots.  They managed to convey that impression all by themselves with very little prompting.  They were simply asked why they were there.

The only conclusion I could reach is that their motivation was - at least in part - racial.  I mean... nursery rhymes FFS... we all know where that one was going!
    I mean the guy literally chuckles at them. 

"Check out these morons if you want a good laugh." 

I just think that claiming some sort of superiority might not look that different to what you're claiming they are doing. 
    I agree. The guy speaking clearly believes he's in an unassailable position and will be showered with bucketloads of Internet lurv as everyone piles on in his scornfest of 'deplorables.' However, he comes across instead as a bit of an arrogant and sneering jerk.

Also, his conclusion that we should 'embrace all people' is humanly absurd. People have disliked others who are different from the year dot, and there's little likelihood of that changing in the foreseeable future. Sheesh, when I was growing up in the West Riding of Yorkshire, people in my village didn't even like those who lived in the next village, which was just two miles away! 

I mean sure, if we're wise, we learn to respect others with a 'live and let live' principle, but demanding that everyone 'embrace all people,' as he does, is the kind of thing that people who've never mixed with other cultures say.

2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23084
    Timcito said:
    Also, his conclusion that we should 'embrace all people' is humanly absurd. People have disliked others who are different from the year dot, and there's little likelihood of that changing in the foreseeable future. Sheesh, when I was growing up in the West Riding of Yorkshire, people in my village didn't even like those who lived in the next village, which was just two miles away! 

I mean sure, if we're wise, we learn to respect others with a 'live and let live' principle, but demanding that everyone 'embrace all people,' as he does, is the kind of thing that people who've never mixed with other cultures say.
    In my experience people who have had the least contact with people from other cultures are the most prejudiced and xenophobic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 357
    Yeah. @Timcito it comes across as well obviously people are going to hate people who have a different genetic make-up. WTF?
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    edited April 26
    I just think that when people are backed into a corner they can get a bit primal. They can do things they wouldn't normally do, join groups, that perhaps have a "common enemy", they wouldn't normally join.
    Fear does strange things to people. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3583
    Kurtis said:
    I just think that when people are backed into a corner they can get a bit primal. They can do things they wouldn't normally do, join groups, that perhaps have a "common enemy", they wouldn't normally join.
    Or, if they dont understand things like 'news papers' and Facebook news feeds, they are quite possibly surrounded by this stuff to the point where its consumed them and they absorb more of it every time they look at their phone. 

They arnt the dregs of society , they are just another by-product of it.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    edited April 27
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    Or, if they dont understand things like 'news papers' and Facebook news feeds, they are quite possibly surrounded by this stuff to the point where its consumed them and they absorb more of it every time they look at their phone. 

No doubt that can be a factor.

For everyone really. 
    edited April 28
    topdog91 said:
    Yeah. @Timcito it comes across as well obviously people are going to hate people who have a different genetic make-up. WTF?
    Not 'hate' - it's always simplistic binary opposites, now right? - dislike, resent, irritated by, feel uncomfortable with; few would get anywhere near balls-out hatred, I think.

But there is an undeniable truth that human beings have 'issues' with people that are different, and this runs through the animal kingdom, I think, too. We're more socially sophisticated than apes and hopefully most of us will see the benefits of tolerance and understanding, but that doesn't alter our fundamental chemistry: we have problems with people who are not 'us.'

You can even see this on a guitar forum. There is a cultural standard in terms of ideology which clearly delineates 'us' vs. 'them,' and any deviance from this norm is often flamed. I've seen it various times on a national scale, having lived in eight different countries. Fairly soon, the habits of the locals will begin to grate in varying degrees, and this can arise through seemingly small, insignificant things: Why on earth do Finns wait at the side of the road in the middle of winter (-26 C!) until the pedestrian light comes on? Are they just obedient robots re what?! And what about Spaniards in bus queues? When the bus arrives, they swarm onto the bus and pay no respect to the queue! And when they're speaking to each other, do they have to shout?! Damn! And have you seen Italian men making sexual comments at attractive young women as they pass? Good grief! And on and on and on. Foreigners just don't do things right! But that doesn't mean our way of doing things is better; it's just different, and difference in culture can be a bitter pill to swallow, especially if you've had no practice, as some of the people in this dumb video clip may not have had.

There was a joke about expats that when they first arrive in a new country, they love everything. Then, in a fairly short time, they hate everything, and finally, if they stick around, they learn to appreciate the good things and tolerate the 'bad.' I think there's a lot of truth in that. So when people like this guy on the video blithely dictates that 'we should embrace all people,' it's a sign, I think, of someone preaching a dogma of instinctive loving brother and sisterhood for which there is little evidence in reality.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 28
    Philly_Q said:
    Timcito said:

In my experience people who have had the least contact with people from other cultures are the most prejudiced and xenophobic.
    Depends on the demographic, I guess. I was thinking mainly of people of a similar educational background as my own - the kinds of people I've known and hobnobbed with in England and elsewhere. In such communities, there can be an overly idealized perception of the realities of rubbing shoulders with people from different cultural backgrounds. Ironically, such people are often those who are economically privileged and distanced from the kinds of mixed-culture communities they endorse. 

I do actually like mixing with different cultures, and my life reflects it. However, it isn't always easy, and I find the sneering and superior attitude of the guy who made that video obnoxious. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3583
    Timcito said:
    topdog91 said:
    Not 'hate' - it's always simplistic binary opposites, now right? - dislike, resent, irritated by, feel uncomfortable with; few would get anywhere near balls-out hatred, I think.

But there is an undeniable truth that human beings have 'issues' with people that are different, and this runs through the animal kingdom, I think, too. We're more socially sophisticated than apes and hopefully most of us will see the benefits of tolerance and understanding, but that doesn't alter our fundamental chemistry: we have problems with people who are not 'us.'

You can even see this on a guitar forum. There is a cultural standard in terms of ideology which clearly delineates 'us' vs. 'them,' and any deviance from this norm is often flamed. I've seen it various times on a national scale, having lived in eight different countries. Fairly soon, the habits of the locals will begin to grate in varying degrees, and this can arise through seemingly small, insignificant things: Why on earth do Finns wait at the side of the road in the middle of winter (-26 C!) until the pedestrian light comes on? Are they just obedient robots re what?! And what about Spaniards in bus queues? When the bus arrives, they swarm onto the bus and pay no respect to the queue! And when they're speaking to each other, do they have to shout?! Damn! And have you seen Italian men making sexual comments at attractive young women as they pass? Good grief! And on and on and on. Foreigners just don't do things right! But that doesn't mean our way of doing things is better; it's just different, and difference in culture can be a bitter pill to swallow, especially if you've had no practice, as some of the people in this dumb video clip may not have had.

There was a joke about expats that when they first arrive in a new country, they love everything. Then, in a fairly short time, they hate everything, and finally, if they stick around, they learn to appreciate the good things and tolerate the 'bad.' I think there's a lot of truth in that. So when people like this guy on the video blithely dictates that 'we should embrace all people,' it's a sign, I think, of someone preaching a dogma of instinctive loving brother and sisterhood for which there is little evidence in reality.  
    Its called ignorance, and not everyone suffers from it. Please dont assume we all have 'issues' with people who are 'different', quite a few of us dont.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 383
    TLDR but @thecolourbox video above with the stupid people chanting England Til I Die made me cringe.
    James Bolam would be turning in his grave. It did not make me H A P P Y...
    Jfingers said:
    TLDR but @thecolourbox video above with the stupid people chanting England Til I Die made me cringe.
    James Bolam would be turning in his grave.
    He probably would were he in it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom