The world of Wez :)

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    here is the burst back, just about where I want it to be.   nearly enough lacquer on to start leveling off and buffing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    Is that RPC ? or cellulose? 
    this is brushed on cellulose sanding sealer, levelled of and then sprayed with rattle can nitro from rothko and frost

I did have some other brushing lacquer i was going to try, but once I had decided on the dark burst it really needed to be sprayed  (even though i have tried to keep a hand rubbed burst look)

hopefully today I will get it levelled off again without sanding through - then it will get buffed
    here it is in buffing stages.  I am not aiming for perfection here and am purposely buffing early, this will mean it sinks in a bit quicker over the next few weeks, it may also mean it needs a rebuff later

imageimageimage

but i also realised I had forgot something.   I was originally going with a side mounted jack, but i never drilled the hole!!!

so I eitehr need to drill it in the side very carefully as per the original plan, or add an extra hole to the plate in the SG jack location

controls are going to be  3-way switch on upper horn.  volume and tone for each pickup and a master volume at the front
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    Really like the burst on that, quite unusual.
    here is the front again   - the pickups and rings are just some i had lying around, they are not fixed in position yet.... but i wanted to see how it would look with black pickups and rings- now i have gone for a non-zemaitis style of finish I may as well carry on with the deviations

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2015
    also - with everything in that pic it currently weighs 6lb 5oz

its going to be a light one!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    WezV said:
    here is the front again   - the pickups and rings are just some i had lying around, they are not fixed in position yet.... but i wanted to see how it would look with black pickups and rings- now i have gone for a non-zemaitis style of finish I may as well carry on with the deviations

This just gets better and better, @WezV  The rope etching is a master-stroke...
    edited July 2015
    yeah, I think its set it off nicely without making it too fussy, although it is a bit rough in places I am happy with the overall look

so I started putting it together, it will all be going apart again for final polishes but there were quite a few things i needed to test on this

There are a few issues to sort, but that's not unusual with  a one off guitar at this stage

The good news is it went together really well, most things fit where they should and without doing much set up work at all I had a playable action of 1.2 - 1.3mm.  very unusual to get that low on a 24 fret neck without some serious buzzing.  it will be set a bit higher than that, because i don;t like it stupidly low - but its nice to have that as the lowest point.  it intonates well too

The bad news, tailpiece hasn't aligned nicely - need to move it a bit.  Not too much bother.  the bottom tone pot hole is too close to the cavity edge, luckily there is plenty of room to open that up a bit.  I cut one of the string slots on the nut a bit our of alignment so a new nut will be needed.  the 19th fret side dot is obscured by the metal plate - didn;t take that into account when setting neck alignment - no fix for that now :(

all in all I am very happy, its already a great player  and sounds really lively unplugged.  now to take it apart and start final shaping and polishing on all the bits of metal!!!

Next to an epi for size reference

and some Knoptions  I can't decide on - Ebony, satin chrome, reflector, alu & plastic???

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Re the knobs, I like the lower knob best of all. This is a fantastic build. Congrats on your wonderful work.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I like the one furthest to the left...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I like the one furthest to the left...
    Me too. Bit more like the 'originals'. 

When do I pick this up??
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    i have ordered the gibson style ones now, and stocked up on knurled pots.   My john birch has the 70's stereo style ones - 

as for the originals, they vary a fair bit.

here is an 80's with black pickups, black rings and gibson style knobs.  the whole guitar is much more liek a standard les paul with the shape, hardware and 22 frets - a les desirable zemaitis if such a thing exists

this is the more complete zemaitis package.  note how he slots straight through the binding, i decided not to copy that

most reissues seem to favour a plain metal knob

mine is not really a copy of any particular Z, although i used this picture for the shape - enlarged a bit and tweaked the curves

on that basis i would have gone for the stereo style knobs, but I have changed the finish and kept the engraving simpler???

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    It's looking really good, I never realised the waist was so narrow until you posted the side by side.
    it does make the epiphone look particularly tubby  :)
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

It's this knob for me.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, that looks amazing. I like the bottom knob the most.

I love the burst! How do you go about spraying rattle can nitro? Do you need to have a special spray area or could I just set a few wood boards up in the garden?

I'm a bit wary, but wouldn't mind trying nitro...
  • That looks superb @WezV. Haven't looked at this thread for a bit - it's coming on really well.  In my opinion it looks really good with the amount of engraving you've done - I wouldn't put any more on myself, although the originals all look to have more.

I love the burst! How do you go about spraying rattle can nitro? Do you need to have a special spray area or could I just set a few wood boards up in the garden?

I dd it in the garage, hung up by the doors so i could get some ventilation.  you can do it in the garden, but if you are planning a light colour you will have major issues with flies and dust.... and maybe neighbours
    edited August 2015
    just having a play with these two
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom