• WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    edited October 2015
    Its Dizzy the egg, one of my favourite games when I was a wee lad

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    Oh yeah I remember now on the old zx spectrum classic
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2426
    Dizzy! Bloody hell that feels like a lifetime ago. Love the logo Wez, good idea.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    How did you remove the finish on the Washburn? Fascinating stuff btw.
    edited October 2015
    I sanded and scraped it off, although still have a bit to get in the neck join
    all done, I mixed my paints on this as I was using up leftovers and there has been a bit of a reaction

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    How much would you charge to make a fretboard @Wezv@? I have the old one I could send you for a template. Ideally with frets installed and a bit thicker than the original.
    i wouldn't supply one like that as I tend to fret  after its glued on.

what state is the original one in, they can often be reused
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    It's ruined @Wezv it had been painted with an oil based paint of some sort. I needed a thicker one anyway.
    got the fanned fret acoustic bracing started properly - this is about 50/50 well researched theory and gut feel.

its all glued in palce and will be shaped a bit more before the top is attached - but I also plan  on  leaving the back off for a bit - with extra support in place so I can tweak the bracing a bit when strung up

so far I would say the treble side isn't far off what i would expect at this point, but the bass side needs to lighten up a bit - which should happen when i carve the x brace down to a nicer taper
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    Watching this one with interest. I presume you have to brace heavier do I recall you said 7 string acoustic.
    Its 9 string, doubled on the treble strings. Also more tension on the bass side due to the longer scale
    i love it when someone says they have some wood going free.  sometimes it ends up being totally unsuitable and you smile politely and take it anyway (i.e. wrong dimensions or its bloody iroko)

sometimes its a real surprise

like this little lot I picked up today

5 planks of unused Honduran mahogany, 1 long plank of sapele and 1 old mahogany mantle piece that also appears to be honduran.   

Then as was I was leaving - "I can get you a load more like that if you want it"   :)
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    so I have had a bit of a gibson itch recently.  i nearly even brought one!!!

now I have this little lot the thought of buying one has well and truly subsided.   most of this is perfect neck blank material  and already well seasoned so I am thinking I may do myself a junior or two - one traditionalish and one totally not.   its also been a while since I have done a through neck, and that long bit of sapele should do two 2-piece through neck blanks  - or any of the other could also do 1 through and 1 normal neck blank

give it  a few weeks acclimatisation time  and I am sure I will have changed my mind.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    edited October 2015
    WezV said:
    Then as was I was leaving - "I can get you a load more like that if you want it"   :)
    Do I need to come over in the van, or will it fit in the car?

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    I don't know if its a case of only being able to take a few bits at a time. I'm not asking too many questions at the moment.

Although its the third time in 15 years I have lucked out on a large quantity of free Honduran mahogany without even looking for it. Seems to happen every 5 years if I think about it. The first stash was enough for 8 guitar bodies and it meant I was free to muck about and learn through building.

Just shows there is plenty of good wood out there though
    the floyd to hardtail conversion is nearly ready for paint.   I have all the structural work done so time for a test fit of parts

it will be getting new black hardware  on it when its done, which I do have here but best to test fit with older bits.  Obviously it won't have a bridge on the back, that was just for the test fit as once those ferrules are in they are very hard to get out

got to make a little triangle of wood to go behind the new nut and fill the floyd shelf... then its a bit more sanding and off it goes for paint
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    edited November 2015
    Bloody good job Wes!

Have a wow!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

more free mahogany turned up today

these planks are all 21x200x1920mm.  there is 6 of them.

So its not thick enough for bodies unless i start doing pancake style.  2 of the planks are great quality and i could get 4 - 6 necks out of each - 3 piece laminate style.  the other 4 planks all have some less desirable areas but could still get 2-3 necks out of each avoiding the unsuitable areas, which are thankfully at one end in 3 of the planks and smack bang in the middle on the forth.

I have more honduran mahogany neck wood than i know what to do with at the moment!!

shame these are not 1 1/2"+ thick but i shouldn't really complain ;)
    edited November 2015
    here are 2 of the less desirable slabs

the bottom one is pretty, but rift sawn and I wouldn't trust it for necks.  its still enough wood for a rather pretty pancake body or two if cut carefully or might just get used for other woodworking projects

the top one has  a dodgy bit at one end but is perfect for the rest and nicely flatsawn.  so with this one I could chop off the dodgy end and slice it into 3 x65mm wide planks - then turn them all 90 degrees and stick em together with a couple of veneers for a 5 piece quartersawn neck- blank 65x65x1500mm

nice to have options