The world of Wez :)

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    thanks, i have bursting it a bit more with tinted black lacquer for a totally non-zemaitis look

its not quite right yet but its getting to a point I am liking
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27650
    Having read your comments on other threads ... I'd just like to say that I do read your posts on this thread, but I generally feel that there's little I could add - I've certainly got no knowledge or opinion (other than on-going appreciation for your work) to contribute to any sort of discussion!

Perhaps if/when I get more time to actually do stuff in my own workshop, then I'll be back to ask some more "how do I" or "how did you" type of questions, but for now, I'm just enjoying watching your experimentation and the development of some more imaginative builds.

Thanks for sharing

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That burst on the neck is amazing!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    Nice burst Wez, is there an intention to do more engraving on the front? It looks a bit half done to me.....

Paul
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

TTony said:
    Having read your comments on other threads ... I'd just like to say that I do read your posts on this thread, but I generally feel that there's little I could add - I've certainly got no knowledge or opinion (other than on-going appreciation for your work) to contribute to any sort of discussion!

Perhaps if/when I get more time to actually do stuff in my own workshop, then I'll be back to ask some more "how do I" or "how did you" type of questions, but for now, I'm just enjoying watching your experimentation and the development of some more imaginative builds.

Thanks for sharing

:)
    I have been on forums for quite a few years now and  the response to my build threads here feels different to what I am used to.   Essentially, I am used to lots of people telling me how I should be doing things even if they don;t know how much I have considered it already  :)  I quite like this, because for every few comments where i have to respond "yeah, I know, but i didn't want to do that" i will get the odd comment which makes me rethink.
    That burst on the neck is amazing!
    covering a stacked heel.  the body is evenign out a bit too now

paulnb57 said:
    Nice burst Wez, is there an intention to do more engraving on the front? It looks a bit half done to me.....

Paul
    yeah, its definitely half done, maybe less than that.   I wanted to get all the main parts in place before doing any more engraving - just to make sure its not getting lost under other parts.    

I am just starting to think about the rest of it now.   I think it needs a border, but thats the bit that could make or break the design if I don't get it right.    I still need to do another truss rod cover and backplates too

This finish so far has been wood stains and initial bursting followed by numerous coats of brushed on sanding sealer.   My next job is to flat it all off and then hopefully it will only need a coat of two of nitro to finish it off.     I was going to do a complete brushed finished with Rustins plastic coating, but it seems to be harder to get these days so I am trying something different
    I should say it was a comment from @lamf68 that led to me brushing the sanding sealer on.   Why have I not thought of this before??   Its a method which should let me be much more self sufficient with my lacquer finishes
    I agree a border would be good, I guess it will evolve as ypu go along, good stuff Wez!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SargeSarge Frets: 2428

WezV said:
    I should say it was a comment from @lamf68 that led to me brushing the sanding sealer on.   Why have I not thought of this before??   Its a method which should let me be much more self sufficient with my lacquer finishes
    is that the Liberon sanding sealer?
    I've contemplated using this brush on stuff, not least to be more economical.
    Also is it compatible with different finishes?

This current build is looking awesome BTW, I have to admit I'm not a fan of the Zematis style plating, but can appreciate the skills needed, well done.
    I am currently using the chestnut cellulose sanding sealer.

jus sanded a lot of it back and got it nice and level ready for the final coats, although obviously because I am doing things in an odd order I lost some of the burst on the back, but that needed redoing anyway.  what it has shown is that its nicely compatible with the rothko and frost spray cans I have here   

I also have some of their melamine lacquer to do some tests with.   It dries very quickly but seemed quite plasticy at first and felt a bit liek a sticky nitro neck when running fingers across it.   the test i did on mahogany has hardened up nicely though and seems to be getting better.  just depends if its going to be hard enough

this one will probably be sprayed nitro top coats anyway, but I want a good brushing lacquer to replicate the finishes I used to get with RPC

these are brushed on RPC
    imageimage
    Sorry, rpc?
    edited June 2015
    Rustins PlastiKote at a guess and seeing the finish on the guitars above worthy of further research, I've never used it but must look for a tutorial as I'm liking what I see... Ive used Tru Oil a few times, but am only moderately happy with it.......over to you Wez (!) is it easy enough to apply/ use?

Paul

I used to use Rustins Plastic Coating because its what Brian May used and its easy to get good results with a brush, as long as you use a good quality lacquer brush.  

Trying to remember my schedule now but it was something like 3 coats a day for 3 days, then sand flat, repeat if needed and finally buff it out.   it usually took a lot of sanding flat because of the brush marks but with patience I got good finishes from it.  the brush stays in the pot ready for the next coat and the lacquer will keep for a couple of weeks after mixing as long as you seal it

one quirk was around timing.  If you apply  new coat within 12 hours it melts into the previous one.  if you leave it a day or two the lower layer fully cures and needs to be keyed before the next coats.   My finishing schedule was based around school holidays and the fact I could have a week doing it, last coat at 9pm and first at 9 am.    i could be buffing it out by the end of the week, and the good thing about buffing it out at that stage was that it continued to sink a bit, but stayed super glossy

i stopped brushing it when i got access to a compressor, and technically i still have access to one but its always easier to do stuff myself at home.  although we still sprayed RPC for ages as it does give a great finish, very hard and very glossy

Anyway, I was going to pick some up from axminster as that's where it used to come from but it seems they don't stock it anymore so I went with something else.

its this one here

not the floor one, or at least I have never used that
    Thanks for the heads up @WezV
    Thanks Wez, I might try it.... Paul

finish is progressing on this one so I thought it was time to get a bit more done on the engraving too.  I have added a rope border.   its not very neat but I think it sets everything else off nicely.

I am not sure whether to leave it all at this stage or add a few more bits.  

you may notice the body is looking pretty black.   I ended up spraying a better burst on the back  which i will get pics of soon
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27650
    Less is more perhaps?

Once you get the hardware & knobs on it, it'll look much fuller anyway - test fit those, and then see whether it needs any more.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    yeah, thats the plan.   the Zemaitis ones are not consistent, some were obviously done much quicker and cheaper with a lot less engraving.  although almost all of them have more going on at the waist so I was considering adding some  fluffy clouds or foliage in that area
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    WezV said:
    yeah, thats the plan.   the Zemaitis ones are not consistent, some were obviously done much quicker and cheaper with a lot less engraving.  although almost all of them have more going on at the waist so I was considering adding some  fluffy clouds or foliage in that area
    @WezV ... this is the absolute dog's b******s  

The rope really sets it off.  I think, especially considering the bridge and pups will be there in the middle, this is perfect as it is...
    Looking good Wez

• Jesus christ, it's awesome.

Probably the most exciting build thread of tfb?