Brexit to be triggered tomorrow - what if the severance deal is a bad one for the UK?

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24827
    Does the light goes off when you close the fridge door?

I suppose we'll never know....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited April 2017
    https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_medium/public/thumbnails/image/2017/03/29/17/20170329-brexit-bring-backs.png

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-poll-leave-voters-death-penalty-yougov-results-light-bulbs-a7656791.html

it's basically a babyboomers petty gripe list. no one under 50 will even know what most of this is.
    i've never seen a blue passport or handled predecimal currency. barely even seen any. an old pound note, a sixpence & a threepence once i think.

& i'm so glad no one asked about decriminalising wife-beating, or recriminalising homosexuality. i seriously don't want to hear it.

just wait until they get their hands on the culture;
    'love thy neighbour' & 'on the buses' to replace keats & orwell on the national curriculum.
    jamie & nigella present an all night bbc2 brexit special; '101 things to do with dripping'.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    vale said:
    'love thy neighbour' & 'on the buses' to replace keats & orwell on the national curriculum.
    jamie & nigella present an all night bbc2 brexit special; '101 things to do with dripping'.

Contrary to popular belief, smug mockery isn't really that clever, or convincing! If that is all you have to resort to though....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    quarky said:
    vale said:

Contrary to popular belief, smug mockery isn't really that clever, or convincing!
    And neither is tarring everyone in an age group with the same brush.

@vale I'm 67 (born 1949 - do I qualify as a "baby-boomer"?) and I remember all of those things.  I'm not sorry we got rid of most of them, especially corporal punishment in schools, having been on the receiving end of it many times.

I'm getting quite fed-up of people assuming all "older" people are "old" people, i.e. fuddy-duddy reactionaries who constantly hark back to the rose-tinted "good old days".  Life was never like that.

FWIW I voted "Remain" but failed to get what I wanted.  As with many other things in my life, I learned to adapt and get on with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Bucket said:
    I'd rather be part of Project Fear than Project Lies, followed by Project Leap Into the Unknown and then Project Blind Optimism in the Face of Mounting Evidence to the Contrary.
    I've been thinking that as there is absolutely sod all I can do about absolutely any of this
    I'm going to set in motion Project making music and having a good time regardless
    which is basically a continuation of what I've been doing since I was about 12
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I agree, I'm not paying much attention to any of this anymore, but aside from those purely interested in the politics of it, what I do understand is that people who are still overly passionate and vocally heated about it on either side of the argument are primarily only looking after their selfish interests and don't understand anything about it anyway, so they really have no jurisdiction to preach or lecture what others should do so they should stick the dummy back in. 

Whatever happens, the world isn't going to end and if it suddenly does we won't know about it, things always balance out in the end.

What I have learnt from all of this, which surprised me is that the ones who seem to think we're becoming more secular and intolerant because of all of this are actually the ones who are the most prejudice and bigoted in the first place.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Remoaners are so funny. The utterly wrong, self righteousness about things they as a group have no understanding of. People who's only experience of Europe is the occasional fortnight on holiday screaming like you'd just shagged their sister and mum at the same time. 

The EU has a much worse economy than the UK, a grossly over valued currency, a massive democratic deficit, authoritarian tendencies and is directly responsible for throwing 60 million people in poverty for a political project. Why anyone pthe than a sadist would want to be part of an istitution as corrupt, dishonest, limiting and pointless organisation is beyond me. (Someone who has actually lived 9 years on the continent)
     Sooner it collapses into bankruptcy the better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    quarky said:
    Gibraltar is a BOT, does it need to be specifically mentioned?

No. Next!

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The real reason the Spanish hate Gibraltar is that it shows their corruption and poverty up so obviously. Makes the average citizen more aware they are  being stiffed. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15544
    Evilmags said:
    Remoaners are so funny. The utterly wrong, self righteousness about things they as a group have no understanding of. People who's only experience of Europe is the occasional fortnight on holiday screaming like you'd just shagged their sister and mum at the same time. 

The EU has a much worse economy than the UK, a grossly over valued currency, a massive democratic deficit, authoritarian tendencies and is directly responsible for throwing 60 million people in poverty for a political project. Why anyone pthe than a sadist would want to be part of an istitution as corrupt, dishonest, limiting and pointless organisation is beyond me. (Someone who has actually lived 9 years on the continent)
     Sooner it collapses into bankruptcy the better. 

it is rare that I agree with mags, but his assestment is not far off. I voted remain, but it was a close call. I felt we had a batter (tho still very small) chance the reform the EU in it than no chance of reform out of it.

Anyone who thinks the EU is a cuddly, fluffy force of good only need look at the treatment of the greek people, who overwhelmingly voted to reject EU austerity and were sold down the river by the EU.

I still feel leaving is wrong, it create too much uncertainty and instability, however leaving is not an automatic death sentence for the UK.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

BREXIT FACE - in cinemas soon, certificate 18

A film by Ken Loach starring the 48% of people who voted Remain and and Gina Miller.

On the 23rd of June, 2016, the UK took part in a referendum to decide whether to remain or leave the European Union. Despite what most educated, tolerant, and middle class people expected, the UK chose to Brexit. The tolerant well run remain camp were undermined by the Brexiteers. According to statistics, Brexiters are typically old, poor, and thick. They are out of touch with the ways of the modern world. They like cricket and hate Polish restaurants. They don’t understand that in order to have a healthy relationship with Europe, Britain needs to do as it’s told.

In wanting to make the film Ken said "Britain has turned its back on Europe. Britain selfishly decided not to share its sovereignty with other European nations, nations of people who are kind and thoughtful, and who all speak a second language. By wanting more control of all British laws, people who wanted to leave the European Union aligned themselves with the forces of division and bigotry; greatly increasing the chances of both a recession and another European war. And the worst part is those who voted for Brexit should have known better. They should have known better, even though they are old, uneducated and stupid. Why didn’t they listen to the good people? Why were these people given a fucking vote."

The trailer:

"A must see film as darkness descends on Britain as the evil forces of Tory fascism plot a coup to seize power"

5 stars The Guardian

"Why would anyone want to leave the EU? Will we even have electricity and running water after Brexit? I mean the French own all the power stations and water companies. They could turn it all off. We could be a third world country. I hate old people. What will I do without my iPhone. I'm suicidal with rage."

Chole Jenkins, 21, General Secretary, NUS

No decisions should ever be made without asking the question, is this for the common good? Brexiteers need re-educating. This film starts the process. Brexit should be stopped.

Tony Blair

Brexit will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a Jaguar car. What's not to like?

Boris Johnson

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    fantastic
    but unfortunately all true.
    that woman should be made queen.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    like present Gibraltar situation - what WM hasn't told us is this -

From an indépendant ‘money man’  (outwith WM’s control),
    "England can't survive without Scottish oil"
    https://youtu.be/9rp2XS1nbvA

(sir) Ian Wood pre indyref1 and now with the latest huge untaped field of Shetland he / they can’t deny it -

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Aren't forecasts for the oil industry to be a drain on the economy anyway (negative revenue, rather than postiive)? So is that video supposed to say that no oil industry would be an even bigger drain on the economy than a loss-making oil industry?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28423
    Evilmags said:
    Have you really not moved on from this sort of childish straw-man nonsense?

For all that you (and some other lazy people in the thread) find it convenient to paint all remain voters as being the same, they weren't, and more than all leave voters had the same reasoning and motivation. The irony of your post is that you're demonstrating no understanding of a group that you claim has no understanding.

And next, no doubt, you'll be claiming that all remain voters think all leave voters are something or other (ok, this time it was Fret ploughing that well-worn furrow) without spotting the obvious hypocrisy....
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Evilmags said:
    Have you really not moved on from this sort of childish straw-man nonsense?

For all that you (and some other lazy people in the thread) find it convenient to paint all remain voters as being the same, they weren't, and more than all leave voters had the same reasoning and motivation. The irony of your post is that you're demonstrating no understanding of a group that you claim has no understanding.

And next, no doubt, you'll be claiming that all remain voters think all leave voters are something or other (ok, this time it was Fret ploughing that well-worn furrow) without spotting the obvious hypocrisy....
    Sense of humour failure @Sporky .. I was poking fun at both sides .. the endless shit on this subject is getting beyond a joke .. you'd get a better level of debate in a junior school.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Sense of humour failure @Sporky ..
    Nah, it'd have to have been funny for that. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    Sporky said:
    Fretwired said:
    Nah, it'd have to have been funny for that.
    :-) .. that was funny ... have a lol.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15544
    edited April 2017
    I'd say it's fair to call remain voters remoaners if they are endlessly bleating on about how unfair it is that some people in this country don't share the same opinions as them. And I think it's fair to call brexit voters brexitards (erm, this may be my phrase for them, not actually seen it anywhere) if they endlessly bleat on about how they have finally taken back control of their country. Mostly cos it's fun to mock angry people.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Sporky said:
    Fretwired said:
    Nah, it'd have to have been funny for that.
    :-) .. that was funny ... have a lol.
    That was the best recovery I could think of!

VimFuego said:
    Mostly cos it's fun to mock angry people.
    True enough.