Helix LT is now available for order. Cut down version - ish.

What's Hot

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2202
    edited April 2017
    I've only had it a couple of days but I'm already impressed by how easy it was to recreate the effects order of my previous pedal board set up with an output to the front end of my amp. Then create another path with amp cab emulation routed to Send 2 and the XLR output to give two options for a direct out to a desk. (Pic 1)

Plus I can organise the switches in stomp box mode to suit what's best for quick switching live use, as opposed to having to match the effects order in the signal path. (Pic 2)

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2017
    Is this LT unit going to impact on the new & used prices of the other premium Amp/FX modellers that are already out there?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    Freebird said:
    Is this LT unit going to impact on the new & used prices of the other premium Amp/FX modellers that are already out there?
    Helix (full-fat) has already dropped by £150 since the LT was announced.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26717
    Freebird said:
    Yeah, the Headrush will be found in the bargain bin at Morrisons... ;)
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    Freebird said:
    Yeah, the Headrush will be found in the bargain bin at Morrisons... ;)
    Or in a Mexican landfill with a load of Atari cartridges... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited April 2017
    Saw the LT (didn't have time to try it though) at Yamaha Music last week.  The display was bigger and clearer than I thought (I was worried about it not having the scribble tabs of the 'Fat' Helix, but the performance display lay out for what each pedal does seems quite clear) so it might be something I'd consider buying.  But prices would still need to drop quite a bit before I'd be seriously interested - not a criticism of it re value for money, merely that at the moment I'm not playing enough gigging wise to justify me buying any MFX unit at this price.  It's far too new at the moment of course, but if new prices dropped a bit in 12 months time and if I could pick a used one up at say £500 in year or so, then I'd go for it.  

From a gigging perspective, aside from the lack of scribble LED labels,there is one key difference as between Helix & Helix LT and that is in Pedal Edit mode you can only edit in performance view on the LT, whereas on the Helix you can edit on the fly.  I'd have to look at the Helix & LT to better understand this before deciding if it was a problem. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I'd really like to see the LT in desktop format, I.e remove the switches and replace with preset buttons, remove the expression pedal, but keep the screen, make the whole thing smaller. Almost like a homage to the good old POD.
    edited April 2017
    dindude said:
    I'd really like to see the LT in desktop format, I.e remove the switches and replace with preset buttons, remove the expression pedal, but keep the screen, make the whole thing smaller. Almost like a homage to the good old POD.
    Do you perhaps mean something a bit like the original Vox Tonelab 'DT' ('Desk Top')?

Image result for vox tonelab desktop
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • dindude said:
    Given there's going to be a plugin very soon I'm not sure there's a market for this any more. Anyone who needs to gig will want a foot switch of some sorts, anyone who wants to play at home will probably already have a computer and the plugin will be cheaper than a hardware unit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:
    Given there's going to be a plugin very soon I'm not sure there's a market for this any more. Anyone who needs to gig will want a foot switch of some sorts, anyone who wants to play at home will probably already have a computer and the plugin will be cheaper than a hardware unit.
    That makes perfect sense  ;)
    dindude said:
    Yeah but man, plug in just ain't retro enough.
    dindude said:

I run my plugins on a Commodore 64 to get that warm, gritty 8-bit vibe. The latency is staggering but that's part of the charm, right?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    dindude said:

I run my plugins on a Commodore 64 to get that warm, gritty 8-bit vibe. The latency is staggering but that's part of the charm, right?
    Ha indeed. For me though a plug in would mean confining my evenings to my man cave, where my Mac is, which is unacceptable (wife's view not mine). A desktop would mean being in the lounge sat next to my wife, yet ignoring her with cans on, which somehow is more acceptable!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Would Helix Rack not suffice for such? Stick some rubber feet on it and you're away.
    Just seems total overkill, I'd be better having a dedicated laptop and interface if I went that route.
  • dindude said:
    Sporky said:
    dindude said:

Ha indeed. For me though a plug in would mean confining my evenings to my man cave, where my Mac is, which is unacceptable (wife's view not mine). A desktop would mean being in the lounge sat next to my wife, yet ignoring her with cans on, which somehow is more acceptable!

Tell her that her buying a TV for the mancave is cheaper than you buying a Helix Rack for the living room
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:
    Sporky said:
    dindude said:

Tell her that her buying a TV for the mancave is cheaper than you buying a Helix Rack for the living room
    Women not allowed in man-cave!
    dindude said: not
    dindude said:
    Sporky said:
    dindude said:

Women not allowed in man-cave!
    Surely it depends on the women?!  :)
  • Sporky said:
    Would Helix Rack not suffice for such? Stick some rubber feet on it and you're away.
    I really pushed to make Helix Rack in a wedge-like form factor—3RU, but angled up when placed on a table, kinda like this. It would've also made it the new Helix bean. Was outgunned at the time.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    If you haven't already seen this, here's a full comparison of the specs between Helix and Helix LT, which also includes a more detailed .pdf:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/helix-lt-comparison-r857

http://line6.com/support/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=5051