Manchester Arena explosion.

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    edited May 2017
    underdog said:
    Do you think a national news company showing footage of the moment a bomb killed children is needed? It's sensationalism, it's to get clicks on web sites, no respect for victims or their families.
    Utter bollocks - we've all seen the footage of the second plane hitting the World Trade Centre - we need to show these outrages for what they are.

Or we could do a Chris Evans and tried to pretend nothing's happened....

Or try to find a politically correct justification for it.

I'm sick of trying to find explanations. Even the IRA had the decency to give warnings prior to most attacks. Blowing up people who have nothing to do with whatever the perpetrator's beef is beyond any rational understanding.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    underdog said:
    Do you think a national news company showing footage of the moment a bomb killed children is needed? It's sensationalism, it's to get clicks on web sites, no respect for victims or their families.
    Utter bollocks - we've all seen the footage of the second plane hitting the World Trade Centre - we need to show these outrages for what we are.

I'm sick of trying to find explanations. Even the IRA had the decency to give warnings prior to most attacks. Blowing up people who have nothing to do with whatever the perpetrator's beef is beyond any rational understanding.

They are terrorists, their chosen wrap is terror, by running these videos repeatedly for the next week it helps instill fear in people, helps spread the terror, helps "them" win.

I don't think we need to see bombs or planes hitting towers or anything like that from any part of the world, it glorifies the events to certain people, it helps radicalise people.

Report the facts, don't make it about entertainment, just report facts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798

antifash said:
    octatonic said:
    Steffo said:
    Awful. I found myself crying when I heard about that children are involved. Whoever did this is beyond evil and need to be prevented from doing this again, WHATEVER it takes.
    A screenshot of a Katie Hopkins tweet is being circulated on twitter (apparently now deleted) in which she appears to be calling for a 'final solution' this morning.

Would that approach be part of your "Whatever" it takes?

She said 'true solution' I think, rather than 'final solution', unless you are talking about a different tweet.

in one hawn Katie Hopkins deletes a tweet as a swastika armband slides doon her arm whilst the other shaves off her moustache's edges pic.twitter.com/1FjQnxlOC2

— Butt Sea (@Butsay_)
    Thanks for the clarification.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025

Maybe we fight fear with fear?
    for every attack we strike back, 10 mosques blown to fuck everytime a policeman gets stabbed, feels good to imagine it right??

maybe the SAS could execute 100 Islamic clerics everytime it happens. 

I didn't lol the post, but surely you don't mean this?
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I saw this first thing this morning, about 6 am. A lot of my youngest daughter's friends were there, including her best friend and the daughters of both our best friends. I was sick with worry. Thankfully they all got home OK. One of the group witnessed the bomb go off. That is something no child should have to see.

Ariana Grande is hugely popular with young kids, and these beasts targeted the event knowing that.

These animals want us to rage against Islam, and want us to go about our lives worried about what they will do next.

Not a chance. Do your worst you backward savages. I'll spit in your faces.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    What do these terrorists think they are going to get out of this? 
    So they have killed 22 people out of a population of 80 million in an attack against a group of countries, that could if they really wanted to absolutely obliterate their region.
    Unfortunately no matter what our response, be it peaceful or violent, we will not be able persuade this tiny minority of radical idiots that their ideology is out of the stone age and has no place in a modern global society.
    If they lightened up a bit they might realize that a free society is a lot of fun and brings massive economic benefits.  
    No matter how much we argue about left vs right, we live in a great place because we accept people are different and all we want is to go to work, have somewhere to live and enjoy our free time.
    I have no idea what the solution is, but after the Iraq war we should have helped completely rebuild the region, providing infrastructure, schools, hospitals, jobs and stability.
    Yes we want the only thing the region has to offer (oil), but we needed to offer them something in return, but not to those at the top.    
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    joeyowen said:

for every attack we strike back, 10 mosques blown to fuck everytime a policeman gets stabbed, feels good to imagine it right??

No, @joeyowen , he didn't. That is why @professorben answered that rhetorical question in the bit you deliberately did not quote. 

Now I think that we can all agree that you are being a bit of a twat.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Sorry much as this is horrific we need the press to report on it. We need to discuss it. We need to learn from it. The people who have helped need to be acknowledged.

These events are real, pretending to ignore the reality of it won't help anyone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Snap said:
    I saw this first thing this morning, about 6 am. A lot of my youngest daughter's friends were there, including her best friend and the daughters of both our best friends. I was sick with worry. Thankfully they all got home OK. One of the group witnessed the bomb go off. That is something no child should have to see.

Ariana Grande is hugely popular with young kids, and these beasts targeted the event knowing that.

These animals want us to rage against Islam, and want us to go about our lives worried about what they will do next.

Not a chance. Do your worst you backward savages. I'll spit in your faces.
    We should rage against Islam. It's mediaeval and backwards.

We shouldn't take it out on PEOPLE however. But Islam is NOT immune from criticism.

Fuck Islam and everything it stands for. War. Aggression. Rape. Pillaging. Horror.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    joeyowen said:

So you didn't bother to read the whole post then ? 
    joeyowen said:

No, @joeyowen , he didn't. That is why @professorben answered that rhetorical question in the bit you deliberately did not quote. 

What on earth? Not trying to be a twat at all.

I also quoted the bit I wanted clarification on, I didn't deliberately miss anything out.

Sorry ProfBen if you felt I was trying to single you out, I honestly wanted clarification on a strong statement.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @boogieman , I expect that the whole post was read, but some axe that needed grinding was brought in from another thread. 

What a better way to score capital than on the death of children?
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    boogieman said:
    Terrible news, made me feel numb when I saw it. 

I dont object to news coverage of the events per se, but why do we need hours of programming, endless repeats of mobile footage and lots of conjecture on the few facts available? Report the facts, move on. The BBC are getting to be the worst offenders here. 
    I get what you mean, but we all turn the TV on at different times and it would be weirder if you watched 30min of the news before they told you about something so major. I also think that they feel it would be offensive, and lacking respect to those involved, to do some of their usual frivolous reporting about mundane things.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    underdog said:
    Utter bollocks - we've all seen the footage of the second plane hitting the World Trade Centre - we need to show these outrages for what we are.

Sorry much as this is horrific we need the press to report on it. We need to discuss it. We need to learn from it. The people who have helped need to be acknowledged.

These events are real, pretending to ignore the reality of it won't help anyone. 
    Reporting is fine. Sensationalizing is not. Do you really need to see a video of the bomb going off' Really?
    did you really need to see a video of the car driving down Westminster bridge and the woman falling off.

We've stopped reporting - we actually get the moment, virtually live. 

Imagine if your daughter was killed in that blast - would you really want to see it on video?

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    joeyowen said:
    joeyowen said:

What on earth? Not trying to be a twat at all.

I also quoted the bit I wanted clarification on, I didn't deliberately miss anything out.

Sorry ProfBen if you felt I was trying to single you out, I honestly wanted clarification on a strong statement.

WTF? Read the whole post again. It was a rhetorical question and he answers it himself.  
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    edited May 2017
    Fretwired said:

Education and integration are the only only way to combat ignorance and segregation. 

Stop bombing people in Iraq and Syria, have a ceasefire, and try and find a peaceful solution might be a way to stop attacks in the west and final a peaceful solution.
    I:m not sure tbh. I think a large part of addressing this is from within the muslim community. They have a better view of this than anyone else, and could be a step ahead in spotting radiaclisation, extremist mosques etc. Plenty of statments coming from various quarters, but a strong condemnation from world leaders in Islam would be a good thing to see.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    @boogieman , I expect that the whole post was read, but some axe that needed grinding was brought in from another thread. 

Sorry mate, well out of order here.

Ben and I have never had a bad issue between us.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12328
    It's like Michael Moore said yes ago when interviewing an American TV news bigwig, what gets reported the cat being rescued from a tree or the dude running down the street going apeshit with a gun? Dude with a gun wins every time.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22135
    underdog said:
    underdog said:

They are terrorists, their chosen wrap is terror, by running these videos repeatedly for the next week it helps instill fear in people, helps spread the terror, helps "them" win.

I don't think we need to see bombs or planes hitting towers or anything like that from any part of the world, it glorifies the events to certain people, it helps radicalise people.

Report the facts, don't make it about entertainment, just report facts.

Two points really:

1) I'm assuming you're of the age to remember how the reporting of African famine was done in the 1980's, reporting that lead to elements like Band Aid coming about. Would you consider that the plight of the starving in foreign climes is something that shouldn't be shown? 

2) You speak of terror and fear being spread by these videos. In the initial wake of events, then there is fear. But within this country it has seldom been long lasting. The London Underground hasn't seen an exodus of users since 7/7. The olympics didn't suffer, major sporting events haven't seen a collapse in audiences. 

joeyowen said:

Sorry mate, well out of order here.

Ben and I have never had a bad issue between us.

Apology accepted.  Just think about what you're writing down then these misunderstandings can be avoided in the future. 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom