Silver Jubilee Mini (2525h)

What's Hot

Comments

• ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    photek said:
    New V30's sound like tiny computer speakers haha. Really terrible. I remember buying a Bogner OS 2x12 with V30's and for the first week it sounded like a Fender Greta lol.

Seriously give it time, it will soon open up and warm up as well.

Stick a reverb in the loop as well if you have one, really helps warm it up a bit.
    What he said.

First go on mine I had exactly the reaction you are having. I pretty much switched to Rivera and nearly didn't bother with the jubilee again. But glad I did. Lots of tweaking, and some time on the higher setting really helped.

Am going to try a mini HOF as suggested by Photek next.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine arrived yesterday and I agree with the comments that it's very shrill and spikey. Nothing like the demos

Im using a 2x12 with V30's. My main cab for a number of years so my speakers are seriously played in. 

Ive been tweaking for 2 evenings now and still can't get it to sound good. Have a great bluesy break up tone but the lead channel I'm struggling with big time

If it's this hard then it's not looking like a keeper. It reminds me of all the things I hated about the EVH mini

Very disappointed at this time. Looks like I'll be sending it back 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Yeah, I'll be trying it with the Helix tomorrow. Interested in using the DI to see how that sounds - assuming I can use cabs in the Helix with the preamp from the Jubilee.....
    Mine arrived yesterday and I agree with the comments that it's very shrill and spikey. Nothing like the demos

Im using a 2x12 with V30's. My main cab for a number of years so my speakers are seriously played in. 

Ive been tweaking for 2 evenings now and still can't get it to sound good. Have a great bluesy break up tone but the lead channel I'm struggling with big time

If it's this hard then it's not looking like a keeper. It reminds me of all the things I hated about the EVH mini

Oddly, I'm glad it's not just me... But also seriously sad.

Wonder why they're nothing like the videos?
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited June 2017
    FarleyUK said:
    Mine arrived yesterday and I agree with the comments that it's very shrill and spikey. Nothing like the demos

Oddly, I'm glad it's not just me... But also seriously sad.

Wonder why they're nothing like the videos?

I really don't know and I've tried it through both my strats and 4 les Paul's some of which are very dark sounding and some very bright with different pups in all of them 

The 20 watt setting yields better results and much more punch and low end but the sheer level of spike and shrill has really pissed me off 

It shouldn't be this hard and I thought I was on to a winner with this 
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, very weird. I've found that changing the EL34s to Groove Tubes and all preamps to JJ ecc83s has certainly helped - currently running it as:

Lead engaged
    Prescence 4
    Bass 8
    Middle 6
    Treble 4.5
    Output master between 1 and 2
    Lead master 10
    Gain 8

This is with a Les Paul 2015 Traditional with the Slash alnico 2 pro pickups, and a 2008 Les Paul with the Gibson 59 Tribute pickups.
    edited June 2017
    FarleyUK said:
    Yeah, very weird. I've found that changing the EL34s to Groove Tubes and all preamps to JJ ecc83s has certainly helped - currently running it as:

Lead engaged
    Prescence 4
    Bass 8
    Middle 6
    Treble 4.5
    Output master between 1 and 2
    Lead master 10
    Gain 8
    That's pretty much bang on how I have it setup 

Only difference was that I was running the output master really high and the lead master lower 

I dont want to give up just yet as the session demo sounds phenomenal but I'm a long way from that 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited June 2017
    Mine is set like this:

Rhythm clip
    Prescence 2
    Bass 5
    Middle 6
    Treble 3
    Output master 7
    Lead master 6.5
    Gain 4.5

Using an R8 with Wizz PAF's and a JXG Jr.

I boost it with a Koko boost for leads.

Really interested to see what the other variables are, mine sounds fantastic, vintagey on the rhythm clip channel then sustainy and thick on the lead channel.
  • photek said:
    Mine is set like this:

Rhythm clip
    Prescence 2
    Bass 5
    Middle 6
    Treble 3
    Output master 7
    Lead master 6.5
    Gain 4.5

Using an R8 with Wizz PAF's and a JXG Jr.

I boost it with a Koko boost for leads.

Really interested to see what the other variables are, mine sounds fantastic, vintagey on the rhythm clip channel then sustainy and think on the lead channel.
    That's quite a difference so I'll give that a try tomorrow and see how that sounds. 

Is in 20 watt mode? Those master settings will be too loud for home so will
    adjust to suit

I think it as possibly one of those amps where eq settings are crucial and they are extremely sensitive which is good in a way. Just finding that balance 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6152
    tFB Trader
    I use mine with a Zilla 2x12 closed back cab loaded with g1265 heritage speakers. No harshness at all for me, 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited June 2017
    If youre using the lead channel make sure the rhythm clip is off, if it's on it makes the sound a lot thinner and grainier to my ears. I keep the master quite high and adjust the overall level with the lead master. Gain about 5-6 is plenty for me. It's not a channel switching amp imo, you set it like a single channel amp for your main sound and add/take away from it with pedals and guitar adjustments. So for me I live on the lead channel and clean up with guitar volume. 

My main amp at the minute is a Laney and my favourite amp ever is the JCM800 so I suppose I do just like bright amps which helps.
    TTBZ said:
    If youre using the lead channel make sure the rhythm clip is off, if it's on it makes the sound a lot thinner and grainier to my ears. I keep the master quite high and adjust the overall level with the lead master. Gain about 5-6 is plenty for me. It's not a channel switching amp imo, you set it like a single channel amp for your main sound and add/take away from it with pedals and guitar adjustments. So for me I live on the lead channel and clean up with guitar volume. 

My main amp at the minute is a Laney and my favourite amp ever is the JCM800 so I suppose I do just like bright amps which helps.
    I think it works great as a channel switcher myself chap as long as you don't need a completely clean channel.

I set it with the gain low enough on the rhythm clip channel that with the LP volume on 10 it is an ACDC sort of sound, hit that channel with a koko boost (or a Keeley SD1) to get me to Thin Lizzy / ZZ Top then switch over to the lead channel for a volume / gain boost for solo's. Works a treat.

The sweet spot on the amp is with the main volume set to 7 or above much like the original Jubilees, mine still sounds really good at low volumes, and I mean children asleep volumes as well.
    Breaking in the speaker by running the ps4 and TV through it via the av amp's headphone out. Weirdly, seems like it's mellowing a bit already.... Although probably imagining it!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm going to try those other settings tonight 

I'll give it until the weekend and if I'm still not happy I'll send it back. Shame really as I only paid £599
    edited June 2017
    Just tried it again - had output at 8 and used lead master to control volume, reduced the treble and presence - seems a lot smoother now, maybe blasting the TV and ps4 through the cab helped..!

One question though - am now trying to hook it up to my Helix - 4cm works fine, but I want to do wdw with my two alto speakers too. I've got it going in to a return block on the Helix, but when I engage it I get silence..... I don't need to do anything with the amp, right?

PS. Ran a Helix OD in front with gain at 1, tone neutral and volume 6. Blimey! That's a pretty sweet tone, at least at low volumes......!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72372
    FarleyUK said:
    Breaking in the speaker by running the ps4 and TV through it via the av amp's headphone out. Weirdly, seems like it's mellowing a bit already.... Although probably imagining it!
    Probably not. The break-in is noticeable over only the first few hours - maybe even the first few minutes, if you drive it hard.

It's almost certainly due to the edge surround - which is heavily doped on a V30 - becoming more flexible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Probably not. The break-in is noticeable over only the first few hours - maybe even the first few minutes, if you drive it hard.

It's almost certainly due to the edge surround - which is heavily doped on a V30 - becoming more flexible.
    Good to hear! Just be playing it (at low volume admittedly) for an hour - certainly seems a lot more ballsy and organic now.
    edited June 2017
    Right I've been using the settings @photek provided and I'm now getting a much smoother tone that sounds great 

I like my mids low and my treble high but with this it was too harsh. Photek settings seem to level this out my reducing the treble and raising the mid. I was reducing treble alone before and then was sounding muffled. 

Having to take a different approach to this amp than I normally would but that's not a bad thing.  Think I've had it too easy before without having to fiddle so much

In 20watt mode it's still too loud but I can see that's where it needs to be. I'm thinking a passive volume pot pedal in the loop to bring it down a little and I'm confident it will be bang on. Ordered one from eBay for £25 should be here Saturday 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Good to hear it is starting to work out for you man. That mid control is pretty mental, moving it from 6 up to 8 the amp seems to double in volume haha. It is really revealing as well but cuts in the mix incredibly well.
  • photek said:
    Good to hear it is starting to work out for you man. That mid control is pretty mental, moving it from 6 up to 8 the amp seems to double in volume haha. It is really revealing as well but cuts in the mix incredibly well.
    It's definitely moving in the right direction  now and I've come away much happier this evening. Come Saturday I'm hoping It'll be sorted 

Without feedback and advice from you guys I'd have thrown the towel in on day one.