Silver Jubilee Mini (2525h)

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    photek said:

My power light (the one built into the switch) has given up the ghost for some reason, anyone know if its an easy fix, looking at the pic above it seems to be a few spade connectors to replace the unit?
    That's surprising in one so young… it's more normally a problem with old JCM800 ones where the fine wires to the neon get fatigued with thousands of on/off cycles.

Changing it is easy, you pull the connectors off - making absolutely sure you note where they all go! If you get it wrong you can short the mains supply when you turn it on, which will probably wreck the new switch as well as blowing the fuse - then there are some plastic clips that need to be pushed inwards with something like a flat-bladed screwdriver and the switch pops out of the panel.

If you're determined, you can open up the switch - put a knife blade down the sides of the rocker and pop it out of the frame - and see what's broken, but it can be difficult to fix… if a neon wire is broken it's usually right at the glass. Sometimes the solder joint between the neon and the resistor fails though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photek said:
    Now we're cooking

Passive volume box arrived today. Put that in the loop to tame the amp and boom we're in business. 

Now that it's wound up I'm getting great results and can now tweak the EQ to suit and getting fantastic results 

Clean channel with rhythm clip on and my Doug Aldrich Rocket full pedal equals pure sonic bliss. Wow

Add to that my new Digitech Polara and it's a belter of an amp. Now getting all the great blues tone that I was after and that great rhythm/ lead tone I bought this amp for 

Now I'm a happy bunny 
    Nice work, I am quite suprised it made that much of a difference to be honest but really glad it did.

My power light (the one built into the switch) has given up the ghost for some reason, anyone know if its an easy fix, looking at the pic above it seems to be a few spade connectors to replace the unit?

With the settings you provided I could see it was getting there but was just way too loud for my house but needs the master volume around 7-8 to get it singing 

Once I popped the volume pedal in the loop I could hit the master hard and still tame it to a reasonable level. It's really made a big difference :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Congrats :) I'm not sure why the vol control in the loop thing isn't more popular, it works great for driving an amp at low volumes.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Nice one mate, glad it's working better for you now! I left mine on accidentally yesterday for 7 hours while I was out..... the front metal panel was scorching hot, but all seems OK thankfully.

Also got a new OD pedal - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001U2IH6Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - and it really gives the amp a kick in the nuts. I just keep it on lead channel with the clip off.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    ICBM said:
    photek said:

That's surprising in one so young… it's more normally a problem with old JCM800 ones where the fine wires to the neon get fatigued with thousands of on/off cycles.

Changing it is easy, you pull the connectors off - making absolutely sure you note where they all go! If you get it wrong you can short the mains supply when you turn it on, which will probably wreck the new switch as well as blowing the fuse - then there are some plastic clips that need to be pushed inwards with something like a flat-bladed screwdriver and the switch pops out of the panel.

If you're determined, you can open up the switch - put a knife blade down the sides of the rocker and pop it out of the frame - and see what's broken, but it can be difficult to fix… if a neon wire is broken it's usually right at the glass. Sometimes the solder joint between the neon and the resistor fails though.
    Thank you for the info. I have just noticed that it hasn't completely gone it is just much, much dimmer (a bit like it's operator haha). I might check the push connectors on the back first to see if they are loose. I treat the amp with kid gloves so it isn't knocked at all but it has done about 30 gigs so far about 20 or so rehearsals.
  • FarleyUK said:
    Nice one mate, glad it's working better for you now! I left mine on accidentally yesterday for 7 hours while I was out..... the front metal panel was scorching hot, but all seems OK thankfully.

Also got a new OD pedal - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001U2IH6Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - and it really gives the amp a kick in the nuts. I just keep it on lead channel with the clip off.
    Pushing the front end with my Doug Aldrich OD is awesome.  The amp takes pedals really well
    FarleyUK said:

Pushing the front end with my Doug Aldrich OD is awesome.  The amp takes pedals really well
    Yeah, I used to have that pedal, but found it INCREDIBLY noisy and unusable!
  • FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

Yeah, I used to have that pedal, but found it INCREDIBLY noisy and unusable!
    At my old house it picked up so much noise from the electrics that I couldn't use it. However at my new house it's super quiet 
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    photek said:
    photek said:

Thank you for the info. I have just noticed that it hasn't completely gone it is just much, much dimmer (a bit like it's operator haha). I might check the push connectors on the back first to see if they are loose. I treat the amp with kid gloves so it isn't knocked at all but it has done about 30 gigs so far about 20 or so rehearsals.
    Mine has done exactly the same, the next stage is it goes intermittent.  Mine didn't work at all for a week or so, now it decides itself if it wants to light up or not!
    photek said:

I have just noticed that it hasn't completely gone it is just much, much dimmer (a bit like it's operator haha). I might check the push connectors on the back first to see if they are loose. I treat the amp with kid gloves so it isn't knocked at all but it has done about 30 gigs so far about 20 or so rehearsals.
    It won't be the connectors - if it was, the amp wouldn't work since the whole current goes through the switch.

It could actually just be a bad contact between the rocker and the switch strips underneath - try soaking a bit of contact cleaner into the switch, you don't need to take it out or apart to do that, just lie the amp on its back and squirt it round the edges of the rocker, then work it back and forth a few times.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    photek said:

I have just noticed that it hasn't completely gone it is just much, much dimmer (a bit like it's operator haha). I might check the push connectors on the back first to see if they are loose. I treat the amp with kid gloves so it isn't knocked at all but it has done about 30 gigs so far about 20 or so rehearsals.
    It won't be the connectors - if it was, the amp wouldn't work since the whole current goes through the switch.

It could actually just be a bad contact between the rocker and the switch strips underneath - try soaking a bit of contact cleaner into the switch, you don't need to take it out or apart to do that, just lie the amp on its back and squirt it round the edges of the rocker, then work it back and forth a few times.
    Cool, got some Servisol super 10 here, would that do the job?

Thanks again.
    photek said:

Cool, got some Servisol super 10 here, would that do the job?
    Yes, that's the right stuff. It may or may not fix it but it'a always worth a try first.

Don't do it with the amp powered up, if that's not obvious! Hard to lie it on its back with the mains lead sticking out anyway :).

@ICBM just given it a go and it works, much brighter, not up to full power I don't think so will give it another squirt and see.

@Twinfan worth trying with yours too.

Thank you!
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Cheers, will give it a try.....
    The spray didn't last long, light went dim again at last nights gig. Amp sounded fantastic though.
    Used the amp for the first time live last night, using two Alto speakers for the wet fx. The DI from the jubilee was far too quiet to use, so had to use an amp sum on the Helix for the alto's. Sounded great though.

Could the DI have been quiet as I had the Jubilee master at 7 and the lead at about 2? Gigging again tonight so will try lead on 7 and master lower.....

PS. Am only using the lead channel.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    FarleyUK said:
    Used the amp for the first time live last night, using two Alto speakers for the wet fx. The DI from the jubilee was far too quiet to use, so had to use an amp sum on the Helix for the alto's. Sounded great though.

Could the DI have been quiet as I had the Jubilee master at 7 and the lead at about 2? Gigging again tonight so will try lead on 7 and master lower.....

Why don't you just use the amp the way it's supposed to be used? I can't imagine you played anywhere where a 25 watt valve amp wouldn't be loud enough on it's own?
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Plectrum said:
    FarleyUK said:

Why don't you just use the amp the way it's supposed to be used? I can't imagine you played anywhere where a 25 watt valve amp wouldn't be loud enough on it's own?
    Why should I?

If I have the equipment, why shouldn't I try a wet dry wet setup?

Anyway, managed to get it working last night, sounded brilliant - very impressed with it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited July 2017
    I'm using mine on the clean channel with rhythm clip pulled out and 3-4 on the gain. Then with my Doug Aldrich pedal in the front end 

seriously sounds phenomenal now. Can't believe what a change it's been now I've added a few things 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Plectrum said:
    FarleyUK said:

It's supposed to be used however the the person that bought it, wants to use it mate..
    Anyway I think you've nmisunderstood what the Altos are for. 
    They provide the stereo FX so the amp itself can provide its pure driven tone

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom