Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Actually iPhone 7 audio quality is excellent. The zoom recorders are also excellent - video and audio - I think @horse has one I'm sure he would bring if asked..
    I'll just play the guitar then.

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26625
    Alnico said:
    no problem at all syncing up audio to video, tis dead easy if you get someone to do a visual and audible clap, or have the drummer hit the snare before you start.
    What's the best way to record the audio then?
    Am I right thinking we can tap a feed off the PA with a mic and mic up each amp properly?
    I'll have my laptop and the full version of Reaper with me?
    I can't use it yet, I just got it and I'm still a clueless newbie with Reaper but if you can drive it @digitalscream then go for it. I can learn as you do it maybe?
    Would that work? Hook my Laptop up into the PA in the small room?
    Nah, forget the PA. I'll bring my laptop, an audio interface and some mics.
    <space for hire>
    Alnico said:
    no problem at all syncing up audio to video, tis dead easy if you get someone to do a visual and audible clap, or have the drummer hit the snare before you start.
    Am I right thinking we can tap a feed off the PA with a mic and mic up each amp properly?
    I can't use it yet, I just got it and I'm still a clueless newbie with Reaper but if you can drive it @digitalscream then go for it. I can learn as you do it maybe?
    Nah, forget the PA. I'll bring my laptop, an audio interface and some mics.
    Cool,

I shouldn't get involved really I haven't got a clue about this.
    Thanks Lee.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Alnico said:
    Nikko said:
    To me, it sounds like a great way to utilise the two rooms. If the second room is going to be mainly used for practice, set up, etc as you say, would it be a good idea for people who have tiny practice amps like THR's or Blackstar flys or similar to bring them along to sit in that room so that the main amps can be left in the main room? I appreciate this means even more gear about the place, so if it is a bad idea I'm happy to be shot down :)

Just a thought on a quiet Sunday. 
    If that happens I'm happy to bring my Marshall CODE 25.
    I've got a katana 50, Blackstar Core 10 and 20 and a Fly 3 can bring various combinations of the above though probably not all!
    I'm bringing a katana 100 + foot controller if that helps make your mind up

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited July 2017
    With Premiere CC you don't even need a proper sync point (though it doesn't hurt) - just drag all your clips into the sequence, right click, synchronise, by audio. Unlink and delete all your awful camera audio. Done. Clapperboard is a bit more foolproof but cant say I've ever had any issues doing it the auto way so long as the camera audio isn't distorted. Make sure all the cameras are recording the same frame rate and the daw project/exported wav file is all 48kHz 16 bit to help eliminate things drifting out etc.

I'd like to come to this meet but don't think I'd be allowed out to "waste" a whole day mucking around with guitars could help out with any editing though.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    TTBZ said:
    I'd like to come to this meet but don't think I'd be allowed out to "waste" a whole day mucking around with guitars
    could help out with any editing though.
    If a space opens up for you, we could all help you work out a rock solid set of excuses and fabrications. :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    TTBZ said:
    I'd like to come to this meet but don't think I'd be allowed out to "waste" a whole day mucking around with guitars
    If a space opens up for you, we could all help you work out a rock solid set of excuses and fabrications. :)
    Wait........
    You work for Marshall and you need help with Excuses?
    ;)

NOT meant as anything more than Banter.

Would you like me to put you on the reserve list while you deal with whatever the obstruction is?
    :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Alnico said:

it is possible do get a decent result out of on-camera mics, depending on what camera you're using.  I use Panasonics, particularly the G6, and the on-board mics are surprisingly good and can handle quite high SPLs.  Of course close-miking has its benefits, but there is something to be said for getting a decent room sound - there's more to the sound of an amp, for comparison purposes at any rate, than just the sound of the close-miked speaker.  Of course it's definitely worthwhile getting a decent close-miked recording, but if a decent camera is used for the video the sound quality should be quite decent, and of course available immediately.
    I've had decent results (suitable for clips and capturing the atmosphere of the room) using my blue snowball ice in the middle of the room at my local studio. Picks up all the instruments and vocals if you bias it slightly closer to the vocal monitors. It can go straight into reaper but obviously that will be single track. It's not going to be studio quality but it will sound ok. Better than a phone mic.

Alnico said:

it is possible do get a decent result out of on-camera mics, depending on what camera you're using.  I use Panasonics, particularly the G6, and the on-board mics are surprisingly good and can handle quite high SPLs.  Of course close-miking has its benefits, but there is something to be said for getting a decent room sound - there's more to the sound of an amp, for comparison purposes at any rate, than just the sound of the close-miked speaker.  Of course it's definitely worthwhile getting a decent close-miked recording, but if a decent camera is used for the video the sound quality should be quite decent, and of course available immediately.
    Yeah, my idea would be to use both room and close mics, to get a good balance and representation of what they actually sounded like (neither room nor close mics actually produce a result that's accurate on their own, in my experience).
    <space for hire>
    Thanks guys,
    I think the opportunity to film and record an amp shootout like that is rare so I reckon it's worth a little bit of effort to get it as good as we can. 
    How many times do you hear people complain at the quality of a recording when they're watching something like that saying things like "Why did you bother...?" Etc.

I have the possible YT channel that Lee spoke about in my mind and if we make a real success of the shootout even better that it's filmed at a successful community jam session I think it will REALLY stand out in YT land amongst the rubbish we so often see.

Just my thoughts but I spend a lot of time on YT and I say that line often so I'm sure others do too.

How cool would it be to have comments that praise us for not only producing something worth listening to but also then when people use those demos to make an amp buying decision and come back to praise us for helping them. 

A good show here will last and last and make the forum look great in the public domain. 
    I can definitely help with that. I can make any amp on the market sound like complete dog shit ;) 

• Alnico said:

Where I agree some cameras have decent audio recording now you will always have to compromise the video as audio does not tend to consistent when you are moving around with the camera.

I am planning on bringing a Pana LX7 and a couple of GoPros for video; then a DSLR for stills. 

i wouldn't want the responsibility of relying on in camera audio. I did have a Tascam Dr07mk2 which was good but I sold it to upgrade to one with more on board eq options but as of yet I have yet to get the upgrade. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Alnico said:
    TTBZ said:
    Wait........
    You work for Marshall and you need help with Excuses?
    ;)

NOT meant as anything more than Banter.

Would you like me to put you on the reserve list while you deal with whatever the obstruction is?
    :)
    Haha I've only been here for a few months so there's my excuse for not having good excuses.
    Where I agree some cameras have decent audio recording now you will always have to compromise the video as audio does not tend to consistent when you are moving around with the camera.
    Indeed...also, camera mics tend to heavily compress loud audio.
    <space for hire>
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Whoa with all the recording and camera shit!!

That's pressure i definitely do NOT want on my first stage jam, thanks!!!

if theres anything to make someone self conscious, its this.

Not sure how others feel, but it's not helpful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    fandango said:

Not sure how others feel, but it's not helpful.
    Don't worry - we will only record and publish with all players permission. 

Of course, hearing yourself play is very helpful for development and it's another opportunity to get pressure free experience of the whole recording malarkey 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Echoing slightly what @fandango said, this is all getting pretty formal to me - not sounding like the "chill" session it started out as...... maybe its just me though.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27602
    fandango said:

That's a fair point.

Perhaps the recording bit could be confined to a pre-agreed period, perhaps 3-4, so those "performing" have a chance to warm up, those recording have had time to set the kit up and confirm it's all working, and those who'd prefer not to be captured "performing" can be offstage?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    FWIW I've only been playing since December, and in the last couple of months I've been going to the local studio with a few friends and jamming, often recording or videoing. Looking back at / listening to it later has helped me immeasurably. I've improved my technique loads. I'm sure nobody will be recorded who doesn't want to be and equally sure if you are they won't be published without permission. 

I for one think a video diary edited with a few songs in it would be a fantastic memento of the day and I want all the footage I can get of me playing just to help me improve more.