N***** in a Woodpile.

What's Hot

Comments

• Apparently it's normal in my son's school for Asian kids to refer (openly) to white kids as 'goras'....
    Why send your children to the 'school for Asian kids?
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    Apparently it's normal in my son's school for Asian kids to refer (openly) to white kids as 'goras'....
    Why send your children to the 'school for Asian kids?
    Eh? It's a massive comprehensive that most kids in South Manchester go to....
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What's wrong with Nitwit.  Maybe I'm from a different time before nitwits became to common place,
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    Boromedic said:
    I'm perfectly calm @Nitefly why try and claim otherwise? I'm just astounded at peoples either naivety or stupidity depending how you look at it, you weren't just pointing out the world being a changing place, come on now..........
    To make myself perfectly clear, I think BOTH those words are horrible, and have no place in any day-to-day usage.  

I'm out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    Myranda said:
    While the term "N***er in the woodpile" originated as a reference to escaped slaves hiding in a literal wood pile it became used in literature to mean something hidden...

So, while the n-word has a lot of negative connotations can not the phrase be used in such a way as has been used in literature and never once think of it actually describing an escaped slave... i.e. a level of linguistic naivete rather than indicating that every other word out of her mouth is "n*****"

I mean... it probably is that she's a big ole racist... but it's always possible that she's not... even if only very unlikely 
    Good education and wisdom here although I never fail to be amused by the word association between Tory and Racist
    ......of course, Bernard Manning only performed to bigoted old Public Schoolboys hijacked from the leather Wing -chairs of City Livery clubs and Pall Mall Gentleman's clubs to be transported  and entertained in a parrallel universe of Northern Working Mens Clubs where n'er a racist slur was heard !
     All those middle-class Tory- voting graduates queing up to get their heads shaved and bodies tattooed with the cross of St George and marching through the streets of Luton ............racist bastards
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Boromedic said:
    Jeez where do I start.......... who is rewriting history?? It's history that educates us that the word you mention is actually horrendously offensive to a large number of people, it used to be okay to do a lot of things that we now frown upon this being one of them. Does that still make it alright?

If you don't already understand the difference between calling someone a cunt and using the n-word then I'm not even going to bother trying to educate you, it's clearly pointless as is your irrelevant real world example. Which is the usual rhetoric trotted out by people trying to explain that they should be free to still use the term, there is a world of difference between someone of african origin using that term and someone caucasian.

As for Blazing Saddles no it shouldn't be banned, its a great film to demonstrate the stupidity of racism. No one is asking to erase the word from history, it's still an important learning tool to show that (at least some of us) have moved on.
    My understanding from my kids when they were teenagers was that the N word is only offensive when spoken by a white mouth. Black and Asian kids are allowed to use it freely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Maybe she's been listening to too much NWA and meant nigga
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4811
    edited July 2017
    Is that not the whole point.............??
    Chalky said:
    My understanding from my kids when they were teenagers was that the N word is only offensive when spoken by a white mouth. Black and Asian kids are allowed to use it freely.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Myranda said:
    While the term "N***er in the woodpile" originated as a reference to escaped slaves hiding in a literal wood pile it became used in literature to mean something hidden...

So, while the n-word has a lot of negative connotations can not the phrase be used in such a way as has been used in literature and never once think of it actually describing an escaped slave... i.e. a level of linguistic naivete rather than indicating that every other word out of her mouth is "n*****"

I mean... it probably is that she's a big ole racist... but it's always possible that she's not... even if only very unlikely 
    There's actually no real evidence for that .. the fact that it was more widely used in the UK and Empire than the USA. Nobody really knows. My old English teacher thought the term referred to beetles/woodlice .. if you had their larvae in your wood store you had a problem. He thought these called n*****s  and are now called chiggers. Still racist and not just for the use of the n-word ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Boromedic said:
    Chalky said:

You said "...the word you mention is actually horrendously offensive to a large number of people".

I was just pointing out that what you said is not quite true -the word itself is not actually what those "large number of people" find offensive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    The Torys arnt racist, they don't care what race you are, if you are poor you are scum no matter where you are from.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    Does this mean we can't call a spade a spade anymore?
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Although if you are poor and foreign they will burn you out and ethnically cleanse the area with fire.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    Chalky said:
    Boromedic said:
    Chalky said:

You said "...the word you mention is actually horrendously offensive to a large number of people".

I was just pointing out that what you said is not quite true -the word itself is not actually what those "large number of people" find offensive.

Stop being a pedant, I said exactly the same later in my post............ and yes whilst its the meaning and history of the word that is most offensive the word itself is still actually offensive when said by a caucasian person to someone of African origin.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Me?
    Black people have every right to use the N word, because they don't use it in the white supremacist kind of way that we do.
    robgilmo said:
    Me?
    No Chalky fella....

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Never heard the phrase before
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's cos its been hiding in a wood pile.
    I think people who ''let it slip'' like this should be punched in the face, full frontal, straight in the middle of the face, just for some public humility and a sore face, they would soon think twice after a few black eyes ,fat lips and dislodged noses. Sorry but ''suspended'' just isn't good enough, it wont stop them from thinking the way they do.