N***** in a Woodpile.

What's Hot

Comments

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4987
    edited July 2017
    robgilmo said:
    violence is not a valid response in my eyes, I was joking, do you really think I was serious?
    robgilmo said:
    I think people who ''let it slip'' like this should be punched in the face, full frontal, straight in the middle of the face, just for some public humility and a sore face, they would soon think twice after a few black eyes ,fat lips and dislodged noses. Sorry but ''suspended'' just isn't good enough, it wont stop them from thinking the way they do.
    I think you may need to re-visit your idea of "joking", your initial statement came across as being entirely serious. And that suspension won't change their way of thinking, but intense violence might at least stop them voicing it is bizarre at best.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    She insulted me with her statement, violence is not a valid response in my eyes, I was joking, do you really think I was serious?
    Thinking that suggestions of violence in response is funny is not massively more palatable than thinking it is valid.

Have you ever been on the receiving end of ignorance/racism? I have, sometimes daily, its not nice and it can wind you up so much that you feel like punching someone in the face (I never have by the way, I usually just have to grin and bear it) so yes, although what I typed was in jest, I can see and understand how racism can be met with violence.
    If you can see how someone else would seriously suggest that they would meet racism with violence why do you seem so shocked that others might assume your "jokes" are serious? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    She insulted me with her statement, violence is not a valid response in my eyes, I was joking, do you really think I was serious?
    Thinking that suggestions of violence in response is funny is not massively more palatable than thinking it is valid.

Have you ever been on the receiving end of ignorance/racism? I have, sometimes daily, its not nice and it can wind you up so much that you feel like punching someone in the face (I never have by the way, I usually just have to grin and bear it) so yes, although what I typed was in jest, I can see and understand how racism can be met with violence.
    Can you not see how violence can also be met with racism? None of this shit exists in a vacuum. 

I used to work for an Indian run family business when I was 17. Experienced a fair amount of racism there. None of my white privilege or straight male points worked in my favour! Boooo :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3455
    edited July 2017
    robgilmo said:
    violence is not a valid response in my eyes, I was joking, do you really think I was serious?
    robgilmo said:
    I think people who ''let it slip'' like this should be punched in the face, full frontal, straight in the middle of the face, just for some public humility and a sore face, they would soon think twice after a few black eyes ,fat lips and dislodged noses. Sorry but ''suspended'' just isn't good enough, it wont stop them from thinking the way they do.
    I think you may need to re-visit your idea of "joking", your initial statement came across as being entirely serious. And that suspension won't change their way of thinking, but intense violence might at least stop them voicing it is bizarre at best.

Do you think suspension will change a racists views? perhaps you are right and I do need to re-visit my idea of "joking" but I really was serious in comparing the stupidly light consequences to this persons actions compared to what could happen should she say it to the wrong person, truthfully I don't believe a punch in the face would ever change ignorance in a person, what would you suggest should happen to this person for her ''slip'' of the n word? 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    How about an eyeroll, a tut, and everyone moves on with their lives???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:
    How about an eyeroll, a tut, and everyone moves on with their lives???

Nope, I want to sit here and argue with people I have never met until at least, fuck me is that the time? 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:

Do you think suspension will change a racists views? perhaps you are right and I do need to re-visit my idea of "joking" but I really was serious in comparing the stupidly light consequences to this persons actions compared to what could happen should she say it to the wrong person, truthfully I don't believe a punch in the face would ever change ignorance in a person, what would you suggest should happen to this person for her ''slip'' of the n word? 
    Her "slip" should result in being severely sanctioned or sacked, just as it would be if I used it in the delivery of my duties as a "public servant". It doesn't matter what her views are, she's entitled to hold them as a private individual (the free thought thing).

But it reveals her as to what she is in private, in public. More fool her for being so foolish as to think she could do so, or so stupid as to not to think ahead before speaking in public.

No-one can possibly think that using the n-word is acceptable by an MP in 2017, surely?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    robgilmo said:
    Ok, go to Brixton and exercise the right to freedom of speech by using the word the lady in the op used, see how far it gets you?
    I lived in Brixton in the 70's. I was coming home one night, it was pub closing time, walking up Coldharbour Lane I was accosted by a very drunk american man, in his early twenties. He latched on to me as I was the only white face in sight. He started shouting "what are all these n******s doing here, there's fucking n*****s everywhere". By his accent I guessed he must be from one of the southern states. He was loud, obnoxious and he wouldn't leave me alone. I'm thinking to myself 'this guy is going to get the shit kicked out of him very shortly'. I looked around, somewhat nervously (this guy was acting in his drunken way like we were friends, as drunks do...) and everyone was staring at him... with pity in their eyes. Whether this was because he was an ignorant fuckwit or because they knew he was shortly going to get the shit kicked out of him, I don't know, but I suspected it was the former - They pitied him his stupidity.
    edited July 2017
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:

Her "slip" should result in being severely sanctioned or sacked, just as it would be if I used it in the delivery of my duties as a "public servant". It doesn't matter what her views are, she's entitled to hold them as a private individual (the free thought thing).

But it reveals her as to what she is in private, in public. More fool her for being so foolish as to think she could do so, or so stupid as to not to think ahead before speaking in public.

No-one can possibly think that using the n-word is acceptable by an MP in 2017, surely?
    Indeed, and what message does that put across? do as I say and not as I do? if leaders truly led by example we would be royally fucked. I don't think she is racist but more just ignorant, then again racism is born from ignorance and there does seem to be a lot of ignorant people out there, I'm not even sure that ignorance is held my the minority anymore but that's probably just me being angered by such things. Its strange that if I said that word in my job there would be consequences but I do live in a part of the world where it seems to be deemed Ok by most, which sickens me, 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    OK .. enough of Tory woman. What about me? Apparently I'm pale. male and stale ... isn't that racist? The BBC was called hideously white by its former boss Greg Dyke, and the West End stage hideously white by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Maybe equal opportunity piss taking should be enshrined in law.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/15/pale-stale-males-blamed-brexit-trump

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    OK .. enough of Tory woman. What about me? Apparently I'm pale. male and stale ... isn't that racist? The BBC was called hideously white by its former boss Greg Dyke, and the West End stage hideously white by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Maybe equal opportunity piss taking should be enshrined in law.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/15/pale-stale-males-blamed-brexit-trump

Are you pale , male and stale in a sense that you are deemed inferior through race by the person calling you pale , male and stale? Was the term ''hideously white'' used to deem you inferior due to your race than any other colour of skin/race? If someone mentions the colour of your skin that doesn't necessarily mean you have been subject to racism.

JezWynd said:
    robgilmo said:
    Ok, go to Brixton and exercise the right to freedom of speech by using the word the lady in the op used, see how far it gets you?
    I lived in Brixton in the 70's. I was coming home one night, it was pub closing time, walking up Coldharbour Lane I was accosted by a very drunk american man, in his early twenties. He latched on to me as I was the only white face in sight. He started shouting "what are all these n******s doing here, there's fucking n*****s everywhere". By his accent I guessed he must be from one of the southern states. He was loud, obnoxious and he wouldn't leave me alone. I'm thinking to myself 'this guy is going to get the shit kicked out of him very shortly'. I looked around, somewhat nervously (this guy was acting in his drunken way like we were friends, as drunks do...) and everyone was staring at him... with pity in their eyes. Whether this was because he was an ignorant fuckwit or because they knew he was shortly going to get the shit kicked out of him, I don't know, but I suspected it was the former - They pitied him his stupidity.
    If I had of been in your shoes I would have been more concerned for my own safety.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't really find the word offensive
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    robgilmo said:
    Are you pale , male and stale in a sense that you are deemed inferior through race by the person calling you pale , male and stale? Was the term ''hideously white'' used to deem you inferior due to your race than any other colour of skin/race? If someone mentions the colour of your skin that doesn't necessarily mean you have been subject to racism.

I think it does ... or are you saying that picking on someone who is black is racist but the other way round is not?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    And so... we arrive at the point where Rob wanted to get to several pages ago. Go on mate... just say it.. you know you want to. Here... I'll help:

<puts on SJW retard hat>

You can't be racist towards white people

</takes off SJW retard hat>

There you go! Feel better?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    Fretwired said:
    robgilmo said:

I think it does ... or are you saying that picking on someone who is black is racist but the other way round is not?

No, that's not what I am saying, what I am saying is that mention of ones skin colour does not necessarily mean one has been subject to racial slur when you take into account the actual definition of racism.

''the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races, prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior''

edited July 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    And so... we arrive at the point where Rob wanted to get to several pages ago. Go on mate... just say it.. you know you want to. Here... I'll help:

<puts on SJW retard hat>

Of course you can , I am White (does that surprise you?) and I have been subject to quite severe racism by other white people, and even when I got myself out of that situation that was happening daily I still get subject to it occasionally, racism isn't just about the colour of your skin.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4924
    I've been on the receiving end of racism, both abroad and in the UK (curiously, abroad for being British and in the UK for having spent time abroad - you can't win!).

I think the woman unconsciously used a phrase she may have grown up with and I don't think things should go beyond a reprimand.

I laugh at Reginald D Hunter's jokes and he uses the N-word. He also makes jokes about white folks.

Here is a thought guys, I'm off to bed but I'll leave you with this, if a White guy says '' those white people are all the same'' , is that a racist belief that he holds? Can what he said be deemed as ''racist''?
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24312
    Yes.  It's singling out people for no other reason than their race.  It makes no difference who says it.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    robgilmo said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

<puts on SJW retard hat>

Of course you can , I am White (does that surprise you?) and I have been subject to quite severe racism by other white people, and even when I got myself out of that situation that was happening daily I still get subject to it occasionally, racism isn't just about the colour of your skin.
    I'm curious - what have you experienced?