Fretboard Jam 2017 - Song List Thread - Running Order V4

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Alnico said:
    impmann said:
    I've kept out of all the discussions - not because I'm not interested, but because I didn't want to complicate things. I'm just happy to be there and do whatever.

In terms of vocals, if it helps I could do the high parts of Sunshine of your Love as they can be challenge (its two voices on the record) and I've done it before. If not needed, not offended at all.

Could you do that second vocal on sunshine #2 with me?
    I used to sing that part too, I know it well.
    That'd be great.
    No problem. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Alnico said:
    SONG KEYS

1. Alright Now - A
    2. Anarchy in the UK - C
    3. Beat It - E  (*Eb Tuning)
    4. Call me the Breeze - F#
    5. Crossroads - A
    6. Cupid's Dead - E  (*Eb Tuning)
    7. Cynical - D  (*Eb Tuning)
    8. Fortunate Son - G
    9. Foxey Lady - F#  (*Eb Tuning)
    10. Hard to Handle - B
    11. Learning to Fly - C
    12. Midnight Hour - E
    13. Mustang Sally - C
    14. Plug in Baby - D
    15. Pretty Vacant - A
    16. Roadhouse Blues - E
    17. Running Down a Dream - E
    18. Shake a Tailfeather - D
    19. Sunshine of your Love - D
    20. Testify - D (Drop Low E string to D)

@horse - here's the post with the keys in - @Alnico - can you check this is the most up to date? I'll add it to the spreadie in post 1 later so we all know where they are
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    @Bridgehouse
    looks fine to me.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568

@horse - here's the post with the keys in - @Alnico - can you check this is the most up to date? I'll add it to the spreadie in post 1 later so we all know where they are
    Thanks @Bridgehouse ;
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    @Alnico  what happens to the song list regarding the guys that pull out and the guys that step in?, do you take on the songs of the guy you replace? 
    adampeter said:
    @Alnico  what happens to the song list regarding the guys that pull out and the guys that step in?, do you take on the songs of the guy you replace? 
    Hey,

No, not at all. You play what you want to play so if you wanted to do that, we only need to swap the name and you can do both of His songs .
    If you don't want to do that we'll take that person out of the song completely and put you in wherever you want.

Like all the best parties, you only take part in what YOU feel comfortable with.
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Alnico said:
    adampeter said:
    Hey,

No, not at all. You play what you want to play so if you wanted to do that, we only need to swap the name and you can do both of His songs .
    If you don't want to do that we'll take that person out of the song completely and put you in wherever you want.

Like all the best parties, you only take part in what YOU feel comfortable with.
    ;)
    Or you can spend all your time in the kitchen ;)
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    @Alnico  sounds good buddy, will have to wait and see if there's another non-runner and what their songs were. 
    @Bridgehouse  it all depends whats happening in the kitchen  ;)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    Alnico said:
    adampeter said:
    Hey,

;)
    Or you can spend all your time in the kitchen ;)
    You'll always find me in the kitchen at jam sessions, gives me an idea for a song...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    @TTony ;
    @Bridgehouse ;
    @Alnico ;

Work is seriously impacting upon my time to practice, and even though there's a Bank Holiday coming up, my challenge of learning two songs for the 2nd is to fall by the wayside. Sorry.

As a consequence, I shall have to relinquish Tom Petty's Runnin' Down a Dream. I just don't have time in the next two weeks to do it justice.

Thankfully, I am still up for Roadhouse Blues. And looking forward to it.

fandango said:
    @TTony ;
    @Bridgehouse ;
    @Alnico ;

Work is seriously impacting upon my time to practice, and even though there's a Bank Holiday coming up, my challenge of learning two songs for the 2nd is to fall by the wayside. Sorry.

As a consequence, I shall have to relinquish Tom Petty's Runnin' Down a Dream. I just don't have time in the next two weeks to do it justice.

Thankfully, I am still up for Roadhouse Blues. And looking forward to it.

Sure,
    Good for you for saying so.

In our own ways we'll all have some pressure on us on the day and if that's too much for anyone and they've overestimated things, just let us know.
    No problem at all.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27509
    fandango said:

I'd suggest not pressuring yourself @fandango, but if you fancy a bash on day, it's a simple enough chord structure to just get up and give it a go, and follow it through on some song sheets.  And if you don't fancy it, then no worries.

We'll not be aiming for note perfect copies of the originals (well, I'm certainly not on anything that I'm playing) - it's more about just getting up there and playing in a supportive group.

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    TTony said:
    fandango said:

I'd suggest not pressuring yourself @fandango, but if you fancy a bash on day, it's a simple enough chord structure to just get up and give it a go, and follow it through on some song sheets.  And if you don't fancy it, then no worries.

We'll not be aiming for note perfect copies of the originals (well, I'm certainly not on anything that I'm playing) - it's more about just getting up there and playing in a supportive group.

:)
    Thanks. I am actually quite chilled about it all now, but knowing my propensity to go off at a tangent when playing at home doesn't help. Give me a delay pedal, a dash of reverb and some overdrive and I am away .... now where was I I? Ah yes... trying to nail the rhythm of Roadhouse .... 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    To be honest, I've just realised that I should stop whining about Cupid's Dead. @bigjon has a much tougher job than I do, since he's playing exactly what I am...on bass.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    edited August 2017
    To be honest, I've just realised that I should stop whining about Cupid's Dead. @bigjon has a much tougher job than I do, since he's playing exactly what I am...on bass.
    It isn't exactly a walk in the park for me either.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Ok, I've doing some charting out of song structures.

This is essentially what I'll be playing along to on the day.
    They are an aid to memory, rather than a proper chart with notation etc (which I don't need as I'm drumming).

If people want a copy of these then I can post all of them up in a folder and you can print out the ones you need.
    I won't be able to print out copies for everyone though.

On songs like this where there is a fadeout in the recording I'll just give a drummerly cue, opening the hihats up in the 2nd last bar, or starting to slow down a bit towards the ending (which is called either a Rittardando or Rallentando).
    Let's just wing that stuff.

All cool?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27509
    octatonic said:
    If people want a copy of these then I can post all of them up in a folder and you can print out the ones you need.

I'd have thought that would be most useful @octatonic.

That way, not only might we end up playing the same song, in the same key (sorted elsewhere) but also the same structure of the song, with verses where verses should be, and choruses where choruses should be.

Obvs the lead guitarists will be soloing over it all regardless.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    TTony said:

Obvs the lead guitarists will be soloing over it all regardless.
    You'll be amazed how long I can widdle whilst just using a minor pentatonic scale.

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    octatonic said:

They are an aid to memory, rather than a proper chart with notation etc (which I don't need as I'm drumming).

On songs like this where there is a fadeout in the recording I'll just give a drummerly cue, opening the hihats up in the 2nd last bar, or starting to slow down a bit towards the ending (which is called either a Rittardando or Rallentando).

All cool?

That one is a good example of the kind of thing it's going to be a challenge to keep everyone together on - I'd noted the extra bars on the G at the end of C2 & C3 (but not C1) and written myself a reminder, but on a one off jam these types of details are a challenge and half the band can be off playing a different section before you know it. Maybe before we start each track we should just share any thoughts between us on potential pitfall details like that to try and nail?
    horse said:
    octatonic said:

All cool?

That one is a good example of the kind of thing it's going to be a challenge to keep everyone together on - I'd noted the extra bars on the G at the end of C2 & C3 (but not C1) and written myself a reminder, but on a one off jam these types of details are a challenge and half the band can be off playing a different section before you know it. Maybe before we start each track we should just share any thoughts between us on potential pitfall details like that to try and nail?
    Great point, well put, good idea.

Thanks Pete.