Anyone got a SIMBA mattress?

What's Hot

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    FX_Munkee said:
    Are they called Simba because they are good for lion on?
    a-wimmaway-a-wimmaway oooh oooh ooooooh ahh oooh oooh ooooooh
    If the company uses that as the mane theme in their ads they will take great pride in being a roaring success and feline very good about it!  TBH I'm not lion!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had an Otty but sent it back after two weeks after a fortnight of the worst sleep I've ever had!  It was weird though, because I found the mattress comfortable to lie on when I was awake.  I've gone back to the old cheapo sprung mattress and am sleeping soundly again.  Odd.
  • We got our new mattress and bed frame delivered yesterday.

So nice going from a double to a king size...

It's quite firm so far.  We knew it was firm when we ordered it, that's what we liked after trying loads of different mattresses in multiple shops, plus our last mattress was on the soft side, so it feels like quite a change.  Guess we'll have to try it for a few weeks and see how it goes!

https://www.johnlewis.com/silentnight-sleep-genius-1400-pocket-memory-mattress-firm-king-size/p3234034#tabinfo-returns

To be honest my favourite thing we got was the Tempur Comfort pillows... great decision on those, just so comfy.  They are expensive but given the amount of time you spend sleeping it's actually a bargain to be comfortable
    Update - bed breaking in nicely. Happy with the choice
    I think the term is technically "bedding in nicely" ;)

Might wait for the summer,  ie for the spring to go, before I get a mattress
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    We change our mattress every few years. Usually prompted by me getting lower back ache. The current one is a Tempur Cloud 21. Its great.

My new problem is pillows- I've tried loads. Memory foam, latex, you name it. We got 2 tempur cloud pillows with the bed (free, but retail at £80 apiece). They cripple me. Ended up settling on a £12 one from Dunelm, just about the only one that doesn't give me bad uppoer back trouble.

Before the Tempur we had a memory foam topped sprung mattress, but tbh it was too soft.

You can't substitute trying them out as much as you can. A few seconds lying on a mattress in a shop isn't much use really, so the 100 day buy back is good. Most shops seemd to be offereing them when we got ours.

Dreams did the best deal and fastest delivery.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27493
    Snap said:
    We change our mattress every few years. Usually prompted by me getting lower back ache. The current one is a Tempur Cloud 21. Its great.

My new problem is pillows- I've tried loads. Memory foam, latex, you name it. We got 2 tempur cloud pillows with the bed (free, but retail at £80 apiece). They cripple me. Ended up settling on a £12 one from Dunelm, just about the only one that doesn't give me bad uppoer back trouble.

Just a thought, but perhaps the mattress/pillow isn't the cause of your back issues, and it's that some mattresses/pillows just mask an underlying problem better than others?

Have you tried a visit to a decent physio to get your back checked out @Snap?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Snap said:

Just a thought, but perhaps the mattress/pillow isn't the cause of your back issues, and it's that some mattresses/pillows just mask an underlying problem better than others?

Have you tried a visit to a decent physio to get your back checked out @Snap?
    cheers, but yeah, I have. She reckons its the pillows, and probably my desk sitting posture - a kneeling chair is next on the list. Got all the exercises and stretches todo, which do work, but I also think I sit badly in my chair.
  • The wife got us a new mattress a few years ago. It cost several hundred pounds. She said it was great. I thought it was shit. She thinks it's shit now too. Damned thing is holding its shape and there's no bust springs. I'll be dead before it's busted enough to replace!
  • nanomannanoman Frets: 62
    We had the Simba in Kingsize, returned as we found it too soft and way too hot. Replaced it with the Leesa; firmer, much comfier than the Simba but still way too hot and the quality of sleep was still not quite right.

Ordered a British Bed Co pocket sprung mattress from Mattressman that didn't fit up the stairs due to the wire edge support running round it. Good company to deal with though.

Finally took delivery of a Bensons pocket sprung yesterday and had the best sleep I've had for months. It's been a proper faff for sure. Just got to get the Leesa returned and the refund sorted now but they don't seem to quible at all and are flexible on their pick up (by a charity org)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    So what do they do with all these returned mattresses?  Surely they can't sell them again "as new"?

Simba and Leesa have both said they go straight to charity. Makes you wonder about the margins that they can afford the 100 day return policy.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    nanoman said:
    Simba and Leesa have both said they go straight to charity. Makes you wonder about the margins that they can afford the 100 day return policy.
    They probably don't get that many returns. They must be all making a hefty markup to offer the returns policy though. 
  • Over the course of 100 days you'll probably get used to it.  The first week or so is the weirdest with a new mattress it seems.  Really like our new one.
  • fobfob Frets: 1430

@Snap have you tried a buckwheat pillow? My aunt had quite serious neck and back problems (still does) that meant it took her a good 10 minutes to sit upright from prone. I bought her one of these on the off-chance and the problem disappeared. Virtually everyone in my family now has one. Ironically the only person who doesn't sing its praises to the heavens is me. I like it and still use it but I prefer to lie flat and usually just discard the pillow completely. Everyone else, however, seems to use it on top of a normal thin pillow (makes it too high for me) so perhaps that's the secret. Genuinely life changing for my aunt.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CalmingBreath-Buckwheat-Pillow-Headaches-Sleeping/dp/B00X9USD0W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507801222&sr=8-2&keywords=buckwheat+pillow

Over the course of 100 days you'll probably get used to it.  The first week or so is the weirdest with a new mattress it seems.  Really like our new one.
    With the Simba we lasted just over a week before ordering the Leesa. It was causing us lower back pain. We've given the Leesa 2 months (and they do ask that you wait at least 30 days before kicking off a return - Simba do not make that stipulation)
    fob said:

@Snap have you tried a buckwheat pillow? My aunt had quite serious neck and back problems (still does) that meant it took her a good 10 minutes to sit upright from prone. I bought her one of these on the off-chance and the problem disappeared. Virtually everyone in my family now has one. Ironically the only person who doesn't sing its praises to the heavens is me. I like it and still use it but I prefer to lie flat and usually just discard the pillow completely. Everyone else, however, seems to use it on top of a normal thin pillow (makes it too high for me) so perhaps that's the secret. Genuinely life changing for my aunt.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CalmingBreath-Buckwheat-Pillow-Headaches-Sleeping/dp/B00X9USD0W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507801222&sr=8-2&keywords=buckwheat+pillow

cheers for that, I will have a look!

FUnnily enough I've just returned from the physio having had a deep tissue massage. Jesus H, the pain.........
    I have to say, despite not getting on with the mattresses ourselves, both Simba and Leesa have been very professional and easy to deal with to return the items. British Heart Foundation have organised collecting the Leesa next week. This is on top of Leesa giving one mattress to charity themselves for every 10 sold in their One:Ten programme.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited October 2017
    boogieman said:
    nanoman said:
    They probably don't get that many returns. They must be all making a hefty markup to offer the returns policy though. 
    That was exactly my thought. To offer that kind of deal the margins must be really high. In effect customers who keep the mattress are allowing the 'triallers' the luxury.

Anyway when it comes to beds once you've got the comfort side of things thrashed out - just buy the largest you can.

We've got a super king. The idea that double beds are standard is ridiculous - two adults sleeping on 4' 6" slab is hardly conducive to quality sleep.

Children get 3' to themselves!

I say all this sat downstairs at 7am on a Sunday morning, stretched out on the settee listening to music and posting on a guitar forum because the two kids and wife are in 'my' bed.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Anyone tried a Sleeping Duck effort?  

I like the idea of them as you can have one side of a king size, firm and the other side medium or soft etc....
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited August 2018
    We just bought a Hypnos pillow top mattress from John Lewis. It’s lovely. 
  • Now on our 4th SiMBA

Fucking crock of shite