Cant say fairer than these sentiments from Andertons.

What's Hot

Comments

• Another thing, if Andertons are so worried by abusive and sexist comments, why on earth do they think it is Ok to call someone a 'dick' as a term of abuse? What's wrong with dicks or being the owner of a dick? Imagine the outcry if he had said 'Don't be a cunt', which just goes to show the hypocrisy and double standards in operation here. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I swear down peeps, @Three-ColourSunburst isn't one of my sock accounts! :lol: 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited August 2017
    I finally watched it.

I truly think the irony of no sexism - don't be a dick, itself a gendered slur, is quite funny really. Possibly a poor choice of words given the topic, but I understand the sentiment.

Other than that I have no issue with how they want to run their own channel.

I think it's a bit of virtue signalling to insinuate all real musicians are nice and helpful because that's just not the case. I do think all people should try to be nice and helpful and I certainly try to do that, as do most posters on here... but, musician isn't a religion with its own code of conduct defining who is/isn't... it's a skill based definition (loose at that) not everyone competent at music is a nice person all the time - most are, but they're not really linked in the same way not all lawyers, doctors etc are nice people, even though most are.

Its not really aimed at me though, I don't really post YouTube comments to begin with.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I stopped watching Anderton's videos after Lee said the Epiphone binding was painted on.

If they get criticised, they should man up and either take it on the chin saying nowt or respond intelligently. It is after all mainly a world of grown-up people.

Swedish Guitar Nerd was quite frequently battered by trolls but I don't think he is bothered one bit. That attitude has diminished the negative comments on his videos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7613
    I finally watched it.

<snip>

I think it's a bit of virtue signalling

Hardly, they are acting not just mouthing off. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26918
    I truly think the irony of no sexism - don't be a dick, itself a gendered slur, is quite funny really. Possibly a poor choice of words given the topic, but I understand the sentiment.
    That particular issue - the gendered slur - is something I believe is a load of rubbish, and language-specific (seriously, you guys would have a shit-fit if you were in a French-speaking country...). Go back ten or fifteen years, and nobody cared...it's just another way that people have found to take offence as stuff, IMO. I find it ironic that folk who rail against SJWs should fly that flag, personally ;)

Of course, I would say that. I'm responsible for Rule #1 here, and it's a direct homage to Wheaton's Law - I really don't care about the words used, it's the sentiment which is important.

Probably worth noting that this is just about the only gender-politics issue that Drew and I vehemently disagree on ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    Sure, those who post personal abuse, racist comments and so on deserve to be labelled 'dicks', but is seems that what has rattled their cage of late is simply the number of people agreeing with comments such as

Your basis for that conclusion? 
    Red ones are better. 
    It's a bit like when That Pedal Show got criticised when they did a bunch of delay walk-throughs and totally boned their comparisons of some of the higher end models due to drinking too much beer and not taking it as seriously as they could have. They didn't go on a ban rampage. They saw the criticism, however ill put, and took it on board. They did a 2nd video where they went into those pedals on a deeper level. That was the moment where I began to pay more attention to them. Nuff respect to them for listening to people.
    I finally watched it.

Other than that I have no issue with how they want to run their own channel.

I think it's a bit of virtue signalling to insinuate all real musicians are nice and helpful because that's just not the case. I do think all people should try to be nice and helpful and I certainly try to do that, as do most posters on here... but, musician isn't a religion with its own code of conduct defining who is/isn't... it's a skill based definition (loose at that) not everyone competent at music is a nice person all the time - most are, but they're not really linked in the same way not all lawyers, doctors etc are nice people, even though most are.

Its not really aimed at me though, I don't really post YouTube comments to begin with.

Admit it Maximus. You just want carte blanche to act like a knob. That is the only reason you'd say any of that stuff, obviously!!!

/sarcasm
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    Sure, those who post personal abuse, racist comments and so on deserve to be labelled 'dicks', but is seems that what has rattled their cage of late is simply the number of people agreeing with comments such as

Your basis for that conclusion? 
    The fact that I haven't seen any hard-core personal abuse under any of the videos of their videos that I have looked at, and most 'negative' comments seem to be from people who are bored of the way 'The Monkey Lord' makes every thing they advertise, sorry test, sound exactly the same.
  • I see that Andertons have also stopped using that  '50's Pinup' opening screen for their 'Top Shelf Guitars' series. Perhaps 'The Captain' has had a visit from the thoughtpolice / has been captured by the Guardianista.  =)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
    edited August 2017
    Good for Andertons. Its completely the right message, its a mature and responsible approach, and well delivered. And Lee is spot on..trolling is bullying and must be wiped out. Provided of course that Andertons monitoring and red-carding is sensible, well considered, and not heavy handed. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I see that Andertons have also stopped using that  '50's Pinup' opening screen for their 'Top Shelf Guitars' series. Perhaps 'The Captain' has had a visit from the thoughtpolice / has been captured by the Guardianista.  =)
    IMO now that Mary Spender is on board they probably can't be using females in such a way that would be seen as "sex sells" and they have to clean up the comments and get all serious about "that sort of thing".  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited August 2017
    That particular issue - the gendered slur - is something I believe is a load of rubbish, and language-specific (seriously, you guys would have a shit-fit if you were in a French-speaking country...). Go back ten or fifteen years, and nobody cared...it's just another way that people have found to take offence as stuff, IMO. I find it ironic that folk who rail against SJWs should fly that flag, personally

Of course, I would say that. I'm responsible for Rule #1 here, and it's a direct homage to Wheaton's Law - I really don't care about the words used, it's the sentiment which is important.

Probably worth noting that this is just about the only gender-politics issue that Drew and I vehemently disagree on

There is a difference between a gendered language (such as French) and a slur for a biological body part though
    I see that Andertons have also stopped using that  '50's Pinup' opening screen for their 'Top Shelf Guitars' series. Perhaps 'The Captain' has had a visit from the thoughtpolice / has been captured by the Guardianista.  =)
    Or maybe they are just growing up
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    I finally watched it.

<snip>

I think it's a bit of virtue signalling

Hardly, they are acting not just mouthing off. 
    Well you snipped all the context of the paragraph relating to it - I was specifically addressing 'real musician'

Its like saying 'a real dog owner does this' and presenting preferential characteristics as if they're facts of the definition. Logically that's not how the term is defined... and my brain goes Logic > Emotion when it comes to arguments most of the time. Even though I understand his sentiments and generally feel I fit his description anyway

edited August 2017
    That particular issue - the gendered slur - is something I believe is a load of rubbish, and language-specific (seriously, you guys would have a shit-fit if you were in a French-speaking country...). Go back ten or fifteen years, and nobody cared...it's just another way that people have found to take offence as stuff, IMO. I find it ironic that folk who rail against SJWs should fly that flag, personally

Probably worth noting that this is just about the only gender-politics issue that Drew and I vehemently disagree on

There is a difference between a gendered language (such as French) and a slur for a biological body part though
    Except that in French, every description of body parts has gender - whether unique to a gender or not, or used as an insult a not. Or is your perspective that when everything has gender, nothing does?

My point is that it's ridiculous, and to me such a complaint marks the complainer out to be just as much of a SJW as anything possibly could.
    <space for hire>
    edited August 2017

To clarify, it doesn't bother me on a personal level. But I see it as a double standard. You can't say the word cunt is a gendered slur, and then deny that the word dick is a gendered slur. Because the logic is the same for both.

If the word dick is not a gendered slur, then the words bitch, cunt, whore, and slut can't be either.

And yes we do generally agree on a lot of things. Doesn't stop the misogynist accusations though!
    TimmyO said:
    Or maybe they are just growing up
    If being prissy and pearl clutchy about language is 'growing up' then I am damn happy to remain childish and infantile! :)
    edited August 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:

To clarify, it doesn't bother me on a personal level. But I see it as a double standard. You can't say the word cunt is a gendered slur, and then deny that the word dick is a gendered slur. Because the logic is the same for both.

If the word dick is not a gendered slur, then the words bitch, cunt, whore, and slut can't be either.

And yes we do generally agree on a lot of things. Doesn't stop the misogynist accusations though!
    Fair enough...we're probably closer on it than I thought. Thing is...

They're all gendered slurs. We just shouldn't care, because there are far more important things to worry about than figures of speech, particularly as there are just as many from each gender. More to the point, I'm still waiting for somebody to explain to me exactly why I should care about the "problem" ;)

Mind you, I'm amazed that somebody hasn't complained that the gender-fluid and non-binary folk are being left out of the slur game.
    <space for hire>