Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender amps why the love??

What's Hot

Comments

•   professorben said:

Far from it. 
    Im not saying you have bad taste in music, you don't like the music I like for the reasons you stated, the vast majority of the music posted in support of Fender tones is poorly played, pedestrian dad rock that deserves to be locked away in the vault of 'irrelevant' but hey, I prefer music that's well played and passionate 

I know there's a bit of tongue-in -cheek with what you are saying and some truth in it also.  Plenty of dad rock has been recorded on Fender's! But I also think it's kind of funny that anything like the bands you listed are still thought of modern in anyway.  Most of these bands are middle age and have been doing the same stuff for years.  Only on a guitar forum would anybody think this kind of music is any more relevant than 'dad rock'.  It's dad metal - much of it is tired and clichéd.  So since it is such, you may as well just get funky and get a Fender  

If you want to get out of the vault of 'irrelevant' you're probably going to want to put the guitar down full stop as well.....

Very very true. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6686
    edited September 2017
    Doesn't a tiny part of you worry you might be missing out though?

There might be a magic unicorn dust coated amp you haven't tried yet??
    I've played through a lot of amps, I've owned a lot of guitars, I've owned and tried a lot of pedals, I've played (and still play) many different styles of Music. I've come to where I'm at through experience and openness, through a willingness to learn.

There is no tiny part of me that is "worried" about missing out and I also don't believe in magic unicorn dust, snake oil or rhino horn. If I find something I prefer then I will endeavour to follow my ears and find one, be it amp, guitar or pedal. 

When I was studying saxophone in music college, my sax teacher said referring to the elusive mouthpiece search, "if you want to sound like John Coltrane, then get a sax and mouthpiece in the ball park, and practise your arse off". 

As a pro sax/clarinet player, I have found the sound in my head, which to me is the most important thing. As a very keen semi-pro guitarist, I have done the same. My aim is to be true to my own voice, and use the tools that make that easiest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    take your pick of Fender era styles in this...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Far from it. 
    Im not saying you have bad taste in music, you don't like the music I like for the reasons you stated, the vast majority of the music posted in support of Fender tones is poorly played, pedestrian dad rock that deserves to be locked away in the vault of 'irrelevant' but hey, I prefer music that's well played and passionate 

I know there's a bit of tongue-in -cheek with what you are saying and some truth in it also.  Plenty of dad rock has been recorded on Fender's! But I also think it's kind of funny that anything like the bands you listed are still thought of modern in anyway.  Most of these bands are middle age and have been doing the same stuff for years.  Only on a guitar forum would anybody think this kind of music is any more relevant than 'dad rock'.  It's dad metal - much of it is tired and clichéd.  So since it is such, you may as well just get funky and get a Fender  

If you want to get out of the vault of 'irrelevant' you're probably going to want to put the guitar down full stop as well.....

to me, nothing screams "dad rock" more than the mesa brand. Old dudes copping the santana thing, needing an amp that's overengineered and overcomplicated because of an anti-pedal philosophy...

It seems to me that this thread is mainly about branding, but the truth is that fender amps and guitars show up in EVERY genre. I mean goddamn, even the guy from slipknot has had 2-3 fender sigs or something??? And I'm pretty sure every pro bass player at a certain level is using (or would be happy with) the current super bassman range.

The loudest band I've ever seen - METZ - had just one Twin on stage for the guitarist, I can't remember what the bassist used. They were louder and heavier than Mudhoney, who headlined that night.

But then again, maybe silverface fenders do have an unofficial brand association with 21st Century heavy garage punk??
  • bbill335 said:
      professorben said:

Far from it. 

to me, nothing screams "dad rock" more than the mesa brand. Old dudes copping the santana thing, needing an amp that's overengineered and overcomplicated because of an anti-pedal philosophy...

It seems to me that this thread is mainly about branding, but the truth is that fender amps and guitars show up in EVERY genre. I mean goddamn, even the guy from slipknot has had 2-3 fender sigs or something??? And I'm pretty sure every pro bass player at a certain level is using (or would be happy with) the current super bassman range.

The loudest band I've ever seen - METZ - had just one Twin on stage for the guitarist, I can't remember what the bassist used. They were louder and heavier than Mudhoney, who headlined that night.

But then again, maybe silverface fenders do have an unofficial brand association with 21st Century heavy garage punk??
    Hmmm there is another side to Mesa than the Santana thing (a guitarist detest almost as much as Neil Young) 

Im aware of the irony (hypocrisy?) of playing an amp designed in the mid 80's to achieve the tones I want trying to play modern music. 

Im not anti pedals, so much as I've yet to find a pedal that sounds as good as amp drive, but that's a whole other can of worms to open. 

I will be upfront and say that if an amp doesn't have a blisteringly awesome drive channel, it's not a good amp...... for me. 

And thats where the issue lies I think, every Fender amp ( not discussing guitars here as that's a totally different thing) has had a frankly terrible drive channel, if it had one at all. 

Ive owned single channel Amps and they are always a compromise, neither one thing or the other, can't get a great clean AND a great dirty, always have to rely on pedals for gain which in turn lays over the tone as opposed to being part of it. 

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Ive owned single channel Amps and they are always a compromise, neither one thing or the other, can't get a great clean AND a great dirty, always have to rely on pedals for gain which in turn lays over the tone as opposed to being part of it

I guess one could perceive it that way, and that could be seen as a problem, but it is 100% not true.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Here are my takes on great tones. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6686
    compromise

That one word is the summing up of this whole thread. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlin said:
    compromise

Ha how so?
  • merlin said:
    compromise

I think "pointless" would be more appropriate.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    Here are my takes on great tones. 

Not really a surprise you don't like Fender amps then is it? Tools for the job and all that. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Blues deluxe breaks nicely. You’d maybe like those. 
    How do you manage that without making your ears bleed and breaking all the windows though? (On either channel)
  • Lodious said:
    Here are my takes on great tones. 

Not really a surprise you don't like Fender amps then is it? Tools for the job and all that. 

Totally. Just trying to be open minded as to alternative choices. 

• merlin said:
    compromise

What makes you say that? It's an honest inquiry as to what people like about that style of amp, to garner a greater understand of the different options available. 
  • robinbowes said: 
    What makes you say that? It's an honest inquiry as to what people like about that style of amp, to garner a greater understand of the different options available. 

You don't like the sounds that Fender amps are good at.

You don't like the (vast pantheon of) music that uses Fender amp sounds.

You clearly don't like bananas.

That's fine.

Enjoy your apples.

R.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited September 2017
    robinbowes said: 

You don't like the sounds that Fender amps are good at.

You don't like the (vast pantheon of) music that uses Fender amp sounds.

You clearly don't like bananas.

That's fine.

Enjoy your apples.

R.
    Agree.

I don't really understand Ben's reason for starting the thread- his responses reminded me of a toddler when says 'No' to any question you ask it.
    I'm not sure he really has a doctorate either.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    It all depends on the style(s) of music you enjoy playing and whether you are primarily an amp gain/ pedal gain or a blend of the two type of person. When I first started I was very much about the gain so it was the Marshall sound I was after. Over time though I started fixating more on having a cleaner/ broken up sound and using either pedals or the amps dirty channel for the rest. For me the clean is the base, and if that is not right then it really does not matter how nice the dirty channel is. Hence why I have a Super Sonic 22 and for a different gain vibe an EQD Talons which is fine for punk and beyond :)
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    To be fair, I could point out a number of brands that I don’t think I’d use but I’m sure I could find an occasion where it would work just fine. 

i would never own a Jackson guitar and I can’t think of many times where I’ve loved the tone when one has been used but I wouldn’t dismiss them on the whole. Even if they are shredy wank pieces haha.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    merlin said:
    compromise

When you're only interested in the same bland nu metal tones that form a whole seperate section of the gear industry, it doesn't make sense to look over the fence and tell the neighbours that their mower is shit coz you only like electric ones and theirs is petrol. Or something.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom