Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender amps why the love??

What's Hot

Comments

• Jalapeno said:

or classic jazz/blues, a cranked champ

That's Larry Carlton - probably via his Dumble/Dumbleator
    Tweed Deluxe apparently.  
    Aye, there is a rig rundown somewhere with a story about The Dan flying the Fender in specially. You are right a tweed deluxe rather than champ. 

As for not liking Neil, I would guess you have not seen him live. Needs to be indoors, somewhere reasonably small. Once you do that, it makes sense.  
    The only way I'm getting indoors with Neil is with a shiv and the chance I might use it. 

I have a dislike. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This thread makes about as much sense as this:
    Bananas why all the love??
    I'm obviously in the minority around there parts, in that I can't stand B type fruit.
    I've only tried a couple but the mushy, mealy texture turns my stomach.
    It's plain that others get on very well with them but I don't see it.
    Chiquita
    Dole
    Del Monte
    Turbana
    Fyffes 
    Them ones I've tried  
    How are you guys getting good tastes from them??

In subsequent replies, you will go on to describe how much better apples are.
    Ha fair play, I'm flattered you took the time to research banana distribution companies. 

Now imagine all you see and read on the forum is people waxing lyrical about bananas? 

All these odd codes that get banded about 53ec+xyz etc. 

You might get curious, especially as your first hand experience with said fruit has been so lack lustre and disappointing. 

You might try to understand what people see in them, even more so when a lot of the dishes that are presented in evidence as great exampl s of the culinary delights of banana simply taste bad. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Here you go; 3 Fender Twin Reverb heads:

Hmmmm what gig is that??
    that first chord does sound epic 

although the rest of the song should come with a warning about driving or operating heavy machinery whilst listening.   

;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Comfortably numb gets played more on here than on classic rock radio stations 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• Another thing about Fender amps, they are synonymous with open back cabinets, great for a big open sound.  If you want a tight directional sound with good chug  you're on a loser straight away.  If you we're for example looking at the Supersonic as a more modern option it would be wise to audition the head and closed back cab as opposed to the combo.

I'm not trying to make a Fender amp do the metal thing, I have a big Mesa set up that does that perfectly. 

Im trying to get an understanding of why they are so popular. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Gassage said:
    Let's just list, in chronologicalish order of early guitat playing what people generally regard as the definitive amps of all time:

Deluxe
    Champ
    LP Twin
    HP Twin
    Bassman
    Super
    Vibroverb
    VOX AC30
    Marshall Plexi
    Magnatone
    Vibrolux
    Princeton
    Twin R
    Deluxe R
    Super R
    Hiwatt
    SF TR etc etc

Do I really need to go on?
    Yep, till you start listing any amp I have a desire to play. 
    As so far I wouldn't want to try any of those. 
  • Comfortably numb gets played more on here than on classic rock radio stations 
    Its soporific vibe calms even the savage Drew/Emp. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2899
    What fender did Jack White use on Elephant? I like that tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960

Another thing about Fender amps, they are synonymous with open back cabinets, great for a big open sound.  If you want a tight directional sound with good chug  you're on a loser straight away.  If you we're for example looking at the Supersonic as a more modern option it would be wise to audition the head and closed back cab as opposed to the combo.

I'm not trying to make a Fender amp do the metal thing, I have a big Mesa set up that does that perfectly. 

My view on their popularity is that for bands that are "Guitar Centric" (thinking rock here) you use Mesa, Marshall and their derivatives, for everything else - Fender style amps fit the bill very nicely. 
  • TTBZ said:
    What fender did Jack White use on Elephant? I like that tone. 
    Little bit of sick in my mouth at the mention of Jack White. ;)  

• exocet said:

Another thing about Fender amps, they are synonymous with open back cabinets, great for a big open sound.  If you want a tight directional sound with good chug  you're on a loser straight away.  If you we're for example looking at the Supersonic as a more modern option it would be wise to audition the head and closed back cab as opposed to the combo.

My view on their popularity is that for bands that are "Guitar Centric" (thinking rock here) you use Mesa, Marshall and their derivatives, for everything else - Fender style amps fit the bill very nicely. 
    Wait....?
    there are other types of music apart from Metal??!
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    This thread makes about as much sense as this:
    I'm obviously in the minority around there parts, in that I can't stand B type fruit.
    Chiquita
    Dole
    Del Monte
    Turbana
    Fyffes 
    Them ones I've tried  

Ha fair play, I'm flattered you took the time to research banana distribution companies. 

Now imagine all you see and read on the forum is people waxing lyrical about bananas? 

You might get curious, especially as your first hand experience with said fruit has been so lack lustre and disappointing. 

You might try to understand what people see in them, even more so when a lot of the dishes that are presented in evidence as great exampl s of the culinary delights of banana simply taste bad. 

i think you're forgetting that just as with tastes in food it's all subjective, there is no right or wrong, just different tastes and it's irrelevant if everyone else in the room holds the contrary opinion. I youtubed a bit of Scar Symmetry, Meshuggah, Periphery and The Haunted and to me they all sound very samey, horrible high gain guitar widdlyness, toneless clicky drum stuff (god i hate double bass-drum nonsense) all with the same faux-angry shouty vocals with 6th form lyrics, but that's just my (bad in your opinion) taste and my problem. You're never going to convince me to like them, just as it seems no one's going to convince you to like Fender amp sounds, they're just not your taste and they're used to make music you predominanty don;t like. Enjoy what you like =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Waiting For The Punchline has one of the greatest ever Fender tones recorded.

90s RI Vibroverb with a microphonic tube through a 4x12 with everything turned up loud.
  • Totally subjective, but for me there are no cleans like a good Blackface. 

There are some bad fender amps (i think) - a lot of festivals this year seemed to have Blues Jnr's or Devilles as backline instead of a trusty Twin and I hated it. Too trebly, weak, thin, and a feeling of disconnect. Any chance I get I take my Deluxe Reverb - I have to play modern pop, country gigs, folk-y gigs, and jazz, and it covers everything and takes pedals amazingly well. Nothing is more satisfying than turning up to work with no pedals and going straight into a Deluxe for me, but it is rare not to need a pedal board. 

The last year in studios I've been using my silverface Champ a lot with a Flint and it's been blowing people away! And I can carry it on the train! Result. Punchy, cleans, and ultimately its a fun sound - I can plug any of my guitars into my deluxe or champ at home and sit for hours just enjoying hearing the guitar and the sound of my fingers with an instant gratification from the amp. No colouring, just touch sensitive fun.

There are a couple of amps that I've played that I would use alongside a Fender, but never would replace! A Carr Sportsman being one, and a 633. I never need thick marshall driven tones, and when I need some chaos a Tubescreamer boosts those mids and turns a Deluxe into something more beastly - or an Archer to just give it some tweed sounding break up.

Different strokes for different folks
  • Octafish said:
    Chiquita
    Dole
    Del Monte
    Turbana
    Fyffes 
    Them ones I've tried  

i think you're forgetting that just as with tastes in food it's all subjective, there is no right or wrong, just different tastes and it's irrelevant if everyone else in the room holds the contrary opinion. I youtubed a bit of Scar Symmetry, Meshuggah, Periphery and The Haunted and to me they all sound very samey, horrible high gain guitar widdlyness, toneless clicky drum stuff (god i hate double bass-drum nonsense) all with the same faux-angry shouty vocals with 6th form lyrics, but that's just my (bad in your opinion) taste and my problem. You're never going to convince me to like them, just as it seems no one's going to convince you to like Fender amp sounds, they're just not your taste and they're used to make music you predominanty don;t like. Enjoy what you like =)
    Far from it. 
    Im not saying you have bad taste in music, you don't like the music I like for the reasons you stated, the vast majority of the music posted in support of Fender tones is poorly played, pedestrian dad rock that deserves to be locked away in the vault of 'irrelevant' but hey, I prefer music that's well played and passionate  ;)

That being said, just so many people rate Fender Amps I figured I'd try to see what it was that draws people to them. 

I know quite a lot of guitarist but I don't know anyone that plays Fender Amps, not one that I can think of, Marshalls, Vox, Engl, Mesa, Bognor, Peavey, Orange, EVH etc, but not one Fender player I can think of. 

Now my research (if that's the right term) leads me to conclude that either:

1) Fender Amps almost universally sound shit and anyone that plays them is a cloth eared dunce. 

OR

2) I just don't like the sound they make, others dig it and more power to them. 

Its 2 isn't it?

=) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Octafish said:
    Chiquita
    Dole
    Del Monte
    Turbana
    Fyffes 
    Them ones I've tried  

Far from it. 
    Im not saying you have bad taste in music, you don't like the music I like for the reasons you stated, the vast majority of the music posted in support of Fender tones is poorly played, pedestrian dad rock that deserves to be locked away in the vault of 'irrelevant' but hey, I prefer music that's well played and passionate  ;)

That being said, just so many people rate Fender Amps I figured I'd try to see what it was that draws people to them. 

I know quite a lot of guitarist but I don't know anyone that plays Fender Amps, not one that I can think of, Marshalls, Vox, Engl, Mesa, Bognor, Peavey, Orange, EVH etc, but not one Fender player I can think of. 

Now my research (if that's the right term) leads me to conclude that either:

1) Fender Amps almost universally sound shit and anyone that plays them is a cloth eared dunce. 

OR

2) I just don't like the sound they make, others dig it and more power to them. 

Its 2 isn't it?

=) 

Yep, number 2 all the way, although some of the stuff posted in defence of Fender is pedestrian dad rock :naughty: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Totally subjective, but for me there are no cleans like a good Blackface. 

There are some bad fender amps (i think) - a lot of festivals this year seemed to have Blues Jnr's or Devilles as backline instead of a trusty Twin and I hated it. Too trebly, weak, thin, and a feeling of disconnect. Any chance I get I take my Deluxe Reverb - I have to play modern pop, country gigs, folk-y gigs, and jazz, and it covers everything and takes pedals amazingly well. Nothing is more satisfying than turning up to work with no pedals and going straight into a Deluxe for me, but it is rare not to need a pedal board. 

The last year in studios I've been using my silverface Champ a lot with a Flint and it's been blowing people away! And I can carry it on the train! Result. Punchy, cleans, and ultimately its a fun sound - I can plug any of my guitars into my deluxe or champ at home and sit for hours just enjoying hearing the guitar and the sound of my fingers with an instant gratification from the amp. No colouring, just touch sensitive fun.

There are a couple of amps that I've played that I would use alongside a Fender, but never would replace! A Carr Sportsman being one, and a 633. I never need thick marshall driven tones, and when I need some chaos a Tubescreamer boosts those mids and turns a Deluxe into something more beastly - or an Archer to just give it some tweed sounding break up.

Ugh playing without a Pedalboard makes me feel all itchy. 

Im aware I'm coming across as a petulant shouty Metal kid, but I have covered a lot of musical ground in my playing life 

Folk
    Jazz
    Blues
    Van Morrison tribute act
    Roxy Music tribute act
    Punk
    Soul
    Funk
    Rock
    Wedding Function bands

I auditioned and got a gig for a corporate function band, all click tracks, silent stage and choreographed lighting etc, just never gigged it unfortunately, (that's the point I gave up trying to make a living from music)

more recently I make my own loud heavy music. 

Never have I thought to try a Fender in any of those musical situations. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6688
    Totally subjective, but for me there are no cleans like a good Blackface. 

Agreed 100%. Find the sound and tone you like and get on with it. I recently acquired a Louis Electric Columbia Reverb, and for my style of playing it's damned near perfect. Does a really amazing Blackface clean and takes a drive pedal like nobody's business. Best of all possible worlds, to me at least. 
  • merlin said:
    Totally subjective, but for me there are no cleans like a good Blackface. 

Agreed 100%. Find the sound and tone you like and get on with it. I recently acquired a Louis Electric Columbia Reverb, and for my style of playing it's damned near perfect. Does a really amazing Blackface clean and takes a drive pedal like nobody's business. Best of all possible worlds, to me at least. 
    Doesn't a tiny part of you worry you might be missing out though?

There might be a magic unicorn dust coated amp you haven't tried yet??
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704
    edited September 2017
      professorben said:

Far from it. 
    Im not saying you have bad taste in music, you don't like the music I like for the reasons you stated, the vast majority of the music posted in support of Fender tones is poorly played, pedestrian dad rock that deserves to be locked away in the vault of 'irrelevant' but hey, I prefer music that's well played and passionate 

I know there's a bit of tongue-in -cheek with what you are saying and some truth in it also.  Plenty of dad rock has been recorded on Fender's! But I also think it's kind of funny that anything like the bands you listed are still thought of modern in anyway.  Most of these bands are middle age and have been doing the same stuff for years.  Only on a guitar forum would anybody think this kind of music is any more relevant than 'dad rock'.  It's dad metal - much of it is tired and clichéd.  So since it is such, you may as well just get funky and get a Fender  

If you want to get out of the vault of 'irrelevant' you're probably going to want to put the guitar down full stop as well.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom