Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender amps why the love??

What's Hot

Comments

• Only watch this if you had made preparations to shit your pants.

In no way could I ever play like that. 
    But was kinda sloppy in places. 

Hes no Johnny Hiland/Brent Mason etc. 

As for being sloppy, well I prefer this.............. I think that is the main reason why Joe Bonamassa is not really loved. Makes it sound too easy.  

Mate, you would fucking love my playing, I'm really sloppy and make is sound really, really hard......
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    @icbm almost unwatchable due to the profound Bon jovi presence, but those guitars sure do sound well on that solo. 
    Indeed, I have a love/hate relationship with it as well! Just thought it was a good example of a Fender being used for a high (ish, it's still not really high) gain sound :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3872
    We need some more tweed deluxe lovin' on here...

• @icbm this track was all just driven Tonemaster - pretty crunchy and gainy? 

https://youtu.be/AI5grKCLnco
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3872
    Why the love for Fender amps? Easy. For any style of music requiring less gain than metal, tweed = best crunch sound and blackface = best clean sound. Simples.
    Ps. Don't bother coming at me with your Marshall and Vox love.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    I find Fender amps a bit unforgiving on their clean channels but that's a fault with my technique rather than the amps fault. The dirty channel on the The Twin is superb, shame it's so heavy. I was in a Thin Lizzy tribute for a few years and did gigs with the Fender, a Marshall and a Blackstar ..... listening back now I can't tell the difference between em so a Fender Twin can certainly do the Marshall thing 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Only watch this if you had made preparations to shit your pants.

In no way could I ever play like that. 
    But was kinda sloppy in places. 

Hes no Johnny Hiland/Brent Mason etc. 
    It was more the tone. Always hard to judge tone from YouTube clips, as has been recently proved, but I think I know how those two amps would sound in the room. Clean but on the edge of going dirty with the double stops.

As for being sloppy, well I prefer this.  I don't really like players that make it sound like they aren't really trying.  I think that is the main reason why Joe Bonamassa is not really loved. Makes it sound too easy.  

Daniel was definitely putting the effort in.

If you prefer more gain what about this old deluxe

or classic jazz/blues, a cranked champ

The Steely Dan was sublime, the tone totally suits that style of playing. 

The Neil Young...... the tone was only matched in its awfulness by his vocal. 

Not a big Neil fan I'm afraid. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Clean: Fender
    Dirty: Marshall.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a small superchamp xd which I love for the clean tones. If I need a bit of crunch, some od in front of it sorts it. The reverb is excellent.

I think you’re not missing out on anything tbh, the gear you need for the music you play is - as you have already said, in the Mesa+ range of things. Compressed, loads of crunch etc. 
  • octatonic said:
    Clean: Fender

Pretty succinct! Would have also accepted “Fender > Marshall”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @icbm this track was all just driven Tonemaster - pretty crunchy and gainy? 

https://youtu.be/AI5grKCLnco
    There are guitars on that???

I jest, I can hear them, totally totally not my thing, in fact I go as far as to say I hate it with a passion I've only just discovered.  

I think im starting to pigeonhole Fender into classic rock or indie. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• octatonic said:
    Clean: Mesa
    Filthy: Mesa

Ftfy
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391

That's Larry Carlton - probably via his Dumble/Dumbleator
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback

• I have a small superchamp xd which I love for the clean tones. If I need a bit of crunch, some od in front of it sorts it. The reverb is excellent.

I think you’re not missing out on anything tbh, the gear you need for the music you play is - as you have already said, in the Mesa+ range of things. Compressed, loads of crunch etc. 
    Yeah. I'm not trying to take the piss out of anyone at all, I have very defined tastes in music, I grew out of classic blues and rock by my late teens, never 'got' pop/indie, and was fully headlong into progressive metal by my early 20's
    its very much influenced my tonal choices. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6072
    I see you as a Super-Sonic guy.

Beige could be your colour.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:

That's Larry Carlton - probably via his Dumble/Dumbleator
    Tweed Deluxe apparently.  
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader

Now its all Scar Symmetry and Meshuggah, Periphery and The Haunted. 

Well thats the issue right there, if you walked into a guitar shop and said I am into those bands and they tried to sell you a Fender leave the shop fast. Vintage voiced fenders don't have the high mids for this sort of sound never mind the drive or power supply to hold it together at volume

• Now its all Scar Symmetry and Meshuggah, Periphery and The Haunted. 

Well thats the issue right there, if you walked into a guitar shop and said I am into those bands and they tried to sell you a Fender leave the shop fast. Vintage voiced fenders don't have the high mids for this sort of sound never mind the drive or power supply to hold it together at volume
    Right, I know my tones at least the type I like, but are there no modern fenders? 
    Or are they all tweedy voiced things? 

• Lebarque said:
    We need some more tweed deluxe lovin' on here...

Honestly they sounded awful. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I think I just don't like Fender tones.....
    I was worried I was missing out but it seems that the cleans are bland, high gain stuff is non existent and whilst there are some nice crunchy territory tones. Nothing that can hold a candle to a JCM800 or a Mesa.
    I'd agree that high-gain isn't their thing. There are a couple of models which can do it but I don't think they're a good example of great high-gain sounds.

Although if you like more rock stuff, there's always this… I have no idea what else he might have been going through, with this amount of gain I would guess there may be something in front of the amps as well as the mid boost in the guitar. These are Tonemasters, and supposedly he did have them all on and up loud!

I saw them live in Cape Town in 1995, sounded great and the amps covered a wide range of sounds, however I would assume in those days he would have had a huge rack touring with him