Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Trek Discovery

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16730
    Pretty much
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I love Star Trek but I'm finding it a bit dry. Can't really love it.
    Not sure why, I hope it will come bit we are a few seasons in now.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24404
    I’m really enjoying Disco but I’m struggling to see it as Star Trek, as it just doesn’t feel like Trek, with its endless cursing and explosions and “here’s the bit where the music indicates you should Feel Something”. I think it’s quite good TV, I just want something a bit more like old episodic, optimistic Trek
    DS9 wasn't optimistic really. It's aged far better than the others too, especially from about season 3 when the writers figured out that the non-travelling station allowed a different type of writing.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    I’m really enjoying Disco but I’m struggling to see it as Star Trek, as it just doesn’t feel like Trek, with its endless cursing and explosions and “here’s the bit where the music indicates you should Feel Something”. I think it’s quite good TV, I just want something a bit more like old episodic, optimistic Trek

It feels very Trek for me, but YMMV.

What may be good news for you is that they are working up the promised/possible "Strange New Worlds" Pike on the Enterprise series as a much more episodic Trek, you know there will be arcs, but episodic TV is very do-able.

Will also get to the point in that show where someone at some point says "this is my XO, Commander Kirk" and the young officer says to Pike "you have a wonderful ship Sir, would love to command her someday..."

Cos, I'm a nerd ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • @fretmeister Yes, DS9 wasn't optimistic in the way TNG was, but it still had the "big federation ideals" behind it most of the time. And it still did a lot of episodic stuff. 

@darthed1981 I know what you mean - SNW should be the best Trek thing in 20 years if they get it right. Hiring Anson Mount was the first step as he was so good in Disco S2. I'd personally rather they didn't shoe-horn Kirk into it, but I suspect you're right...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5774
    P'raps you could confirm something though:

That was the set/props/dialogue from Arnie's "The Running Man" weaved into a Star Trek episode?
    I absolutely loved that bit and I hope it was a very deliberate nod. 

I’m really enjoying this series of Discovery. I’ve loved all the Trek, every incarnation has had something to enjoy but this is the first time I’ve not felt like I know where it’s going before I watch it. I like that aspect a lot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Been enjoying S3 but found the Trill episode a bit of a chore to get through. Hopefully it will pick up again next episode. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    Season 3 has been a huge disappointment so far, surely it can’t get any worse ? 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3054
    Just seen the new episode and it was starting to get interesting with the Burn story.

However, I’m finding the story writing is taking a back seat to a few scenes of virtue signalling. Star Trek was all about inclusion but it never stalled the excitement of a scene. I just find it lazy.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Stevepage said:
    Just seen the new episode and it was starting to get interesting with the Burn story.

However, I’m finding the story writing is taking a back seat to a few scenes of virtue signalling. Star Trek was all about inclusion but it never stalled the excitement of a scene. I just find it lazy.
    Agree it is too preachy, at the moment, I could take or leave Michael Burnham's romance.  What I really want is more Michelle Yeo - she gets all the great bitchy one-liners hinting at a wider plot but it doesn't materialise

Hopefully her seizures are about to be reconciled to a BIG story arc

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m really enjoying Disco but I’m struggling to see it as Star Trek, as it just doesn’t feel like Trek, with its endless cursing and explosions and “here’s the bit where the music indicates you should Feel Something”. I think it’s quite good TV, I just want something a bit more like old episodic, optimistic Trek

It feels very Trek for me, but YMMV.

What may be good news for you is that they are working up the promised/possible "Strange New Worlds" Pike on the Enterprise series as a much more episodic Trek, you know there will be arcs, but episodic TV is very do-able.

Will also get to the point in that show where someone at some point says "this is my XO, Commander Kirk" and the young officer says to Pike "you have a wonderful ship Sir, would love to command her someday..."

Cos, I'm a nerd ;)

I'm with you on that... at the end of season 1 when they were deciphering the transmission and gradually revealing NCC-1701 I was almost jizzing in my pants with excitement :lol:

...I may also have many many Enterprise models on shelves just above my desk... and a Discovery.

I'm quite liking the new season, although not as much as I enjoyed S2 I think. I'm also getting a little bit tired of any kind of technology you want just because it's the future. Detached nacelles? Why?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3054
    Jalapeno said:
    Stevepage said:

Agree it is too preachy, at the moment, I could take or leave Michael Burnham's romance.  What I really want is more Michelle Yeo - she gets all the great bitchy one-liners hinting at a wider plot but it doesn't materialise

To further add to my comment. The current season is based around 1100 years in the future (from our present), surely people wouldn't still be having trouble with pronouns and ideas on gender? Just make it part of lore if you feel it should be included,  instead of stopping a scene dead in its tracks for some present day preachy crap. It throws everything off.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It's become nauseating...too much hugging, and weeping, yuk.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    Stevepage said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Stevepage said:

To further add to my comment. The current season is based around 1100 years in the future (from our present), surely people wouldn't still be having trouble with pronouns and ideas on gender? Just make it part of lore if you feel it should be included,  instead of stopping a scene dead in its tracks for some present day preachy crap. It throws everything off.
    1100 years in the future & still no sodding seatbelts...
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2610
    tFB Trader

Detached nacelles? Why?
    I wondered that too.. Maybe we will find out?

And yeah.. This season has been way too slow.. I get they have a whole new changed universe and new characters to introduce and such, but thats all they seem to be doing.. The overall storyline of the burn is just not interesting enough.

Also sadly like a lot of modern day series as far as I know we are only getting ten episodes which I just dont think is enough for a full storyline. The Mandalorian suffers from that too I think. The last two episodes were good but one was 37mins and the other only 31mins for two very cool characters.  Again, just not long enough. Its like they are saying ohhh, you have a Jedi and one of the most classic Star Wars characters ever, be grateful you are getting that. But then its Disney isnt it.. I doubt we can ever expect them to do anything but milk it for all its worth.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24404
    Stevepage said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Stevepage said:

I disagree. Irrespective of when it is set it is a current audience watching it.

No different to the interracial kiss. I bet you a shiny pound that was viewed as 'preachy crap' in the 1960s even though ST: TOS was way in the future too.

I agree the scene could have been done better - in fact DS9 did do something similar much better - but it's still necessary.

As it should be, when those who are on the receiving end of bigotry / oppression etc say it's been solved then it's been solved. Those of us unaffected don't get to make that declaration.

Still, it's Trek and thus I'm enjoying it. And it's WAY better than Picard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16730
    Rabs said:

Detached nacelles? Why?
    I wondered that too.. Maybe we will find out?

And yeah.. This season has been way too slow.. I get they have a whole new changed universe and new characters to introduce and such, but thats all they seem to be doing.. The overall storyline of the burn is just not interesting enough.

Also sadly like a lot of modern day series as far as I know we are only getting ten episodes which I just dont think is enough for a full storyline. The Mandalorian suffers from that too I think. The last two episodes were good but one was 37mins and the other only 31mins for two very cool characters.  Again, just not long enough. Its like they are saying ohhh, you have a Jedi and one of the most classic Star Wars characters ever, be grateful you are getting that. But then its Disney isnt it.. I doubt we can ever expect them to do anything but milk it for all its worth.
    Disagree with the Mandalorian.  Think of it as an extended movie, rather than a long running TV series.   

They are taking the time to tell a story that would traditionally be done in a single  2 hour sitting.... you could probably cut it down to that and still have it make sense.  Boba would get his 6 minutes of screen time just like the original films

Discovery is an odd one.   I have enjoyed it, but its a lot less consistent than other trek.  Not sure the constant reinvention works in its favour as its hard to connect the ones we are watching now with its first series 
  • My view of the previous seasons was that they were very pretty to look at, but I had no idea what the hell was going on. The prettiness of the latest season has, if anything, increased, but I have a vague idea of what's happening. I assume this is progress. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I am persevering but the issue I have with it is I don't really like any of the characters and therefore don't really care what happens to them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I was interested in this week's episode that they mentioned

the Romulan mining ship that went back in time - that's from the first of the new films, isn't it? Lots of scope for bringing in stuff from Chris Pine's universe :)

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)