Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Trek Discovery

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuego said:
    It doesn't seem a very sustainable business model, all these companies setting up their own competing streaming services, as you say most people will only subscribe to 2 or 3 and happily pirate anything else. No one really benefits, customer or seller.
    Next step will be offering to bundle them into cheaper packages of multiple services, either via middlemen or even company more mergers. So back to cable, essentially. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• No doubt when the Paramount streaming service does launch all Trek will be removed from all other platforms.

I have 3 streaming subs already. I am not paying for another one.

Yarrr! 

You from Brizzle then?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    I read about this yesterday and it all feels like a very last minute money grab. It’s also made me feel like I’m the only person left who has no idea how shiver me timbervision works 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15616
    dazzajl said:
    I read about this yesterday and it all feels like a very last minute money grab. It’s also made me feel like I’m the only person left who has no idea how shiver me timbervision works 
    nope, I am also in that boat.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    VimFuego said:
    dazzajl said:
    nope, I am also in that boat.
    An oar each then. Perfect:)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11875
    It's not the end of the world, for these reasons...

1.  Paramount + won't be expensive, and you can subscribe for a month, catch up with Discovery then drop it.
    2.  It won't be for long, there are fundamentally way too many streaming services, and if you look at it...

Netflix - first to market - will survive.
    Amazon - are Amazon, I think they will be fine.
    Disney - are Disney and have a very strong content library, will be fine.

HBOMax - Sky in the UK, obvious target for a buy-out.
    Peacock - Sky in the UK, obvious target for a buy-out
    Paramount + - heavily tied to Sky in the UK, obvious target for a buy-out.

Interesting thing is, Sky are investing heavily in partnerships with the new streaming services, or at least building on their older ones - maybe premiership football no longer being the draw it was has them worried?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24583
    What significant IP has Paramount got other than Trek?

Surely subs aren't going to be based on Crocodile Dundee!
  • What significant IP has Paramount got other than Trek?

It'll probably be a huge disappointment but there'll be a lot of folk wanting to watch the Frasier reboot.
  • Well that is a proper bummer. All that time invested watching three series and they pull this stunt. Like hell am I paying up for another streamling  site.I l know a few who have found ways of streaming illegally, might have to investigate that now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Have to agree that this is not how to treat customers.  We have 4 subscriptions running at the moment ( Sky, Netflix, Prime and Disney) and it gets silly to keep adding more.  The reality is that I will drop one - for a while then binge watch a series and move onto something else.  It ultimately will cost them subscribers, not make them more money.

• I’ve got to finish voyager sometime, ive only got roughly to the bit where they are entering a part of the delta quadrant that Neelix hasn’t been to, I don’t even think 7 of 9 had appeared yet.I’ve got it on an old hard drive somewhere ready to watch when I get chance .

ive got to see enterprise yet ,I recall watching some when it came out but didn’t manage to keep caught up with it . Looks like I have some to look forward to. I never took to deep space 9 much apart from episodes where exciting stuff happened ,it could be a bit political . The free gift were always good fun though 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    tFB Trader
    Enterprise has the WORST theme music ever.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rabs said:
    Hang about, I’m sure I liked enterprise theme ,isn’t it written by dianne Warren or something 
    I remember it being quite epic
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11875
    Rabs said:
    it also has the Battle of Azati Prime (spoilers) at its best it was brilliant

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:
    Hang about, I’m sure I liked enterprise theme ,isn’t it written by dianne Warren or something 
    I remember it being quite epic
    Dont know who wrote it or anything..  I just know I found it painful to listen to each week. But each to their own and all that  :) To me it sounded like a really bad Bryan Adams song...  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t actually if it’s leaving Netflix here in AbDab (Netflix has Disco and Picard is on Amazon) but I’ll be amazed if e get the option of Paramount+ at all - we don’t even have Disney+ yet, just OSN which is our local equivalent of Sky I guess.

I was an obsessive trek fan as a kid and I still consider myself a big fan, but if they think Disco is good enough to justify $10 a month from all but the most diehards for they’re having a laugh.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Rabs said:
    I find your lack of faith of the heart disturbing!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What significant IP has Paramount got other than Trek?

Mission Impossible is theirs, and makes a decent chunk of money every time it rolls around. Might be good for a return to TV in a spinoff.

Terminator? I think that one might be dead now.

Transformers? They're not good films, but they're profitable. I've heard occasional rumbles about a "Hasbro-verse" that ties in Transformers, G.I. Joe and a couple of other toy line tie-ins. Seems like a terrible idea to me...

I think they have a finger in the Indiana Jones pie- those films aren't on Disney+ with all the other Lucasfilm IP...

Either way, I'm not going to be subscribing to another streamer. I already pay for Netflix and Disney+ and I definitely won't miss Disco so much that I'll pay extra for it.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

So.

Anyone seen the new episode yet?