Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Trek Discovery

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24395
    ennspek said:
    I am persevering but the issue I have with it is I don't really like any of the characters and therefore don't really care what happens to them.
    I never understood persevering with something you don’t like. It’s only telly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, I think I’m done with Disco. I feel the same as I did when I quit the walking dead. Annoyed because I was invested but also annoyed because the show wasn’t actually very good.

I still have high hopes for the Pike show. That may be foolish
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I like Disco.
    And Doug Jones' performance is so good that I probably could forgive almost anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793

I'm with you on that... at the end of season 1 when they were deciphering the transmission and gradually revealing NCC-1701 I was almost jizzing in my pants with excitement :lol:

...I may also have many many Enterprise models on shelves just above my desk... and a Discovery.

I'm quite liking the new season, although not as much as I enjoyed S2 I think. I'm also getting a little bit tired of any kind of technology you want just because it's the future. Detached nacelles? Why?

I thought the detached nacelles might be a bit too much, but they are a pretty obvious visual clue to "Starfleet might be a few hundred ships now, not thousands but they have REALLY COOL tech..."

I'm kind of hoping they will find a cluster of a few hundred more "survivors" - as a long term Trek fan the idea of 95% of Starfleet blowing up and killing all those crews is pretty devastating, but again, that's the idea.

Also... was that guy on the planet with the door a Q, because who else could do that?

My working theory is the burn was a terrible accident caused by some fantastically advanced species trying to make contact with the Federation, and that the assumption of attack and threat goes away allowing Starfleet to be Starfleet again.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Stevepage said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Stevepage said:
    Just seen the new episode and it was starting to get interesting with the Burn story.

However, I’m finding the story writing is taking a back seat to a few scenes of virtue signalling. Star Trek was all about inclusion but it never stalled the excitement of a scene. I just find it lazy.
    Agree it is too preachy, at the moment, I could take or leave Michael Burnham's romance.  What I really want is more Michelle Yeo - she gets all the great bitchy one-liners hinting at a wider plot but it doesn't materialise

Hopefully her seizures are about to be reconciled to a BIG story arc

To further add to my comment. The current season is based around 1100 years in the future (from our present), surely people wouldn't still be having trouble with pronouns and ideas on gender? Just make it part of lore if you feel it should be included,  instead of stopping a scene dead in its tracks for some present day preachy crap. It throws everything off.

See I'd say that was it done PERFECTLY, unless somebody who is transgendered wants to correct me, bearing in mind that although set in the future, the series is being made right now. 

For example, we all have to just pretend "Turnabout Intruder" didn't happen, not just because it's a shit episode (unlike the commonly quoted shit episodes in TOS, like "Spock's Brain", it isn't even funny), and even in the 60s an episode where it's like "women just can't command starships" is ridiculous.  To this day, people try and justify and make up reasons why in the 2260s women weren't allowed commands!

Adira was troubled, confused and looking for help with her identity, and she said to her colleague and friend Stamets that she would prefer a different pronoun, and he just said "sure". 

I thought it was lovely.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader

My working theory is the burn was a terrible accident caused by some fantastically advanced species trying to make contact with the Federation, and that the assumption of attack and threat goes away allowing Starfleet to be Starfleet again.

I reckon the Burn was caused by Michael sending the time travel suit back to self destruct... Or something to do with that.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rabs said:

I reckon the Burn was caused by Michael sending the time travel suit back to self destruct... Or something to do with that.
    Could be.

Although I'd love it to be Q over doing things when drunk.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Rabs said:

That would be shit, so I hope you're not right!

Wouldn't explain the music, or the weird nebula.  I suspect a slight steal from Battlestar Galactica is under way with the little tune.

• I'm with you on that... at the end of season 1 when they were deciphering the transmission and gradually revealing NCC-1701 I was almost jizzing in my pants with excitement :lol:

...I may also have many many Enterprise models on shelves just above my desk... and a Discovery.

I'm quite liking the new season, although not as much as I enjoyed S2 I think. I'm also getting a little bit tired of any kind of technology you want just because it's the future. Detached nacelles? Why?

I thought the detached nacelles might be a bit too much, but they are a pretty obvious visual clue to "Starfleet might be a few hundred ships now, not thousands but they have REALLY COOL tech..."

I'm kind of hoping they will find a cluster of a few hundred more "survivors" - as a long term Trek fan the idea of 95% of Starfleet blowing up and killing all those crews is pretty devastating, but again, that's the idea.

Also... was that guy on the planet with the door a Q, because who else could do that?

As soon as he appeared my wife said "He looks like Q or something" :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Well that was crap ending to Phillipa  :/

Is that the finale - it's been pretty grim overall ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I like Disco.
    And Doug Jones' performance is so good that I probably could forgive almost anything.
    Agreed ! He and Michell Yeo have held it together - she'll be greatly missed.  

Soneqa Martin-Green started off as ace, but the plot device that she was brought up as a Vulcan is beyond credit now ! 

Feedback
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5773
    That’s series three done and I’m going to miss it. I’ve really enjoyed it and I’m pretty impressed it lived up to series two. It t can’t be easy making a show where most of it gets ripped down and you have start almost from scratch. Twice. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    Series 3 just lost steam and became formulaic for me, disappointed tbh 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5519
    Yeah, I think I’m done with Disco.

*sadface*

I like Disco.

<blushes>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Season 3 of Discovery was by far the worst Star Trek I've ever watched.

Crying. Whispered, overly dramatic speeches. More crying. More over acted, whispered, overly dramatic speeches. More teary eyes, because the heroes are so incredibly touched by how heroic they are. More crying. The end of civilisation, because a kid throws a hissy fit. More crying.  :#

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Was that a dolphin they traversed or a...
    I'm still loving it. I hope we get 7 seasons.
    I won't be upset if Picard ends though. That was pants.

DS9 is still the best ST.

Feel exactly the opposite.  Discovery S3 was dire. Totally agree with @Stratology ^^^^

Feedback
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    edited January 2021
    Jalapeno said:

Feel exactly the opposite.  Discovery S3 was dire. Totally agree with @Stratology ^^^^

Me too. Picard wasn’t great but was def better than Disco S3,

I still don’t know the names of the bridge crew - that’s how little I care about any of them
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Season 3 of Discovery was by far the worst Star Trek I've ever watched.

Crying. Whispered, overly dramatic speeches. More crying. More over acted, whispered, overly dramatic speeches. More teary eyes, because the heroes are so incredibly touched by how heroic they are. More crying. The end of civilisation, because a kid throws a hissy fit. More crying.  :#

...and don't forget the sickly group smiles. There were moments when I almost threw up.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom