Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Trek Discovery

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Not going to bust a gut trying to find a way tbh, thought it had largely run its course.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    Jalapeno said:
    Not going to bust a gut trying to find a way tbh, thought it had largely run its course.
    I’m hoping we get better scripts with a more traditional trek now that we effectively have a new universe for them to explore.

But I am more excited about the other new one with Captain Pike.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    edited November 2021
    Jalapeno said:
    I’m hoping we get better scripts with a more traditional trek now that we effectively have a new universe for them to explore.

I don’t ever really understand the comments about being more traditional Trek. In so many ways Discovery seems closer to the original series than anything we’ve had since. 
    dazzajl said:
    Jalapeno said:

I don’t ever really understand the comments about being more traditional Trek. In so many ways Discovery seems closer to the original series than anything we’ve had since. 
    It just seems to me that the entire first 3 series of Disco was building up to boot them into the far future so they could start properly with a clean slate.

In some respects like Voyager did. All that distance allowed them to completely re-write the rules of the universe.

As it happens I think DS9 was the best by far, and that was very different to both TOS and TNG.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:
    Jalapeno said:

It just seems to me that the entire first 3 series of Disco was building up to boot them into the far future so they could start properly with a clean slate.

In some respects like Voyager did. All that distance allowed them to completely re-write the rules of the universe.

As it happens I think DS9 was the best by far, and that was very different to both TOS and TNG.
    DS9 definitely broke barriers and went off in a totally different direction. And still the only series to do more than travel with a single crew by letting us live in their whole world. Much as I’m an old school Trekkie with undying loyalty to Kirk, Spock and Bones, DS9 is my favourite too. 
  • Just watched Ep2.  What a load of melodramatic claptrap.

If I wanted that tosh I'd be mainlining archetypical chick flicks.

One more  twaddlefest and love in like that and I'll be out for good.

Looks nice tough.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajl said:
    Popped over the US quickly to catch ep 1. 

Bloody fabulous, 100% Trek. 
    Eh.??! 

Burnham saves everyone but only just AGAIN (even if they're self aware enough to call her out on it, it's still dull writing) and swelling music telling the audience we have to Feel Something

Then EVERYTHING explodes at the end. AGAIN. 

Meh

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    dazzajl said:

Eh.??! 

Burnham saves everyone but only just AGAIN (even if they're self aware enough to call her out on it, it's still dull writing) and swelling music telling the audience we have to Feel Something

Meh

You have seen Star Trek right? That’s kinda the deal. A ludicrous situation is set up and then against all odds and only possible because the script says so, our heroic Captain swoops in and saves the day. It’s 45 minutes of total fantasy escapism set in a universe that’s better, kinder and more tolerant than ours. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    edited November 2021
    dazzajl said:
    dazzajl said:

Eh.??! 

Meh

You have seen Star Trek right? That’s kinda the deal. A ludicrous situation is set up and then against all odds and only possible because the script says so, our heroic Captain swoops in and saves the day. It’s 45 minutes of total fantasy escapism set in a universe that’s better, kinder and more tolerant than ours. 
    I can't be bothered typing out the synopses of various classic episodes but I heartily disagree with you - The Inner Light, Measure of a Man, Chain of Command, Darmok, City on the Edge of Forever, In The Pale Moonlight, Times Arrow. These are all character pieces where actually not that much happens and the real strength is from the script and the performances

There have been a handful of eps with lots of action and stuff exploding but events like Wolf 359 only had impact because they didn't happen every other bloody episode. There was the one where the 1701-D explodes every 5 minutes in a time loop but that jeopardy there isn't whether the ship blows up but whether the crew can realise and escape the loop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I’m not sure it’s completely fair to hold one episode of Discovery up against all of the first two incarnations. Every Star Trek run has had a mix of pace 

I agree that Discovery is pretty heavy on the action and effects side but there is a lot of character work too. It’s not DS9 but it does go much further outside the business of Starfleet and into personal lives than any shipboard series we’ve had. And I love the contrast between the flawless crew and the odd shaped and dysfunctional relationships that hold them together. 
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 991
    edited November 2021
    dazzajl said:
    I’m not sure it’s completely fair to hold one episode of Discovery up against all of the first two incarnations. Every Star Trek run has had a mix of pace 

I agree that Discovery is pretty heavy on the action and effects side but there is a lot of character work too. It’s not DS9 but it does go much further outside the business of Starfleet and into personal lives than any shipboard series we’ve had. And I love the contrast between the flawless crew and the odd shaped and dysfunctional relationships that hold them together. 

Flawless - never seen so much "concealed" acne on TV!
  • dazzajl said:

It's like we're watching completely different shows. 
    dazzajl said:

It's like we're watching completely different shows. 
    Or seeing what we want to see?
  • dazzajl said:

I can assure you I'm not seeing what I want to see- that's the bloody problem!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:

I can assure you I'm not seeing what I want to see- that's the bloody problem!! 
    That wasn’t necessarily aimed at you :)
    It’s back tonight on Pluto.

9pm. 
    edited February 2022
    And it was most excellent. 

I’m guessing the timing now works so that Discovery runs until Picard starts and that goes through to the start of Strange New Worlds. 

Quite a time to be a Trekkie
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    Enjoyed the new episode, Discovery has really found it's feet this series.

Really looking forward to Picard season 2... and it's on Amazon flipping prime!

OK, Strange New Worlds will be on Paramount + most likely, but if there is one thing that would get me signed up for another streaming service, it's Trek!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited February 2022
    Pluto not on Sky is it ? Is Pluto Web / Chromecast only ? And not on catch-up ? (doesn't seem to be, neither is it searchable on website)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Final season has started on Paramount Plus.

1st two episodes available, the rest coming at a rate of 1 per week.