Custom Chibson Experience (Internals vid added)

What's Hot

Comments

• monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    very interesting... can't wait for you to give us a firsthand opinion. hope it comes out nicely for you!
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    fascinating thread :)  - can't wait for the unboxing and review.  When's it due?
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    @McToot, @Chuffola and @Megii PM sent.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Adam_MD said:
    Cheers feller.  I echo the praise for the thread: a potentially emotive subject handled well. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    Cheer's @McToot :)

Dindude - I wish, I was planning on writing a comprehensive review for them detailing any/all areas that can be improved (hopefully very few!). I'm a little torn if I should though as if they implement any of them, then I'm helping them to make better fakes! :\

Still, I'll probably post it on here at least.

Should be ready to ship by the end of the week, but I'm not 100%. Shipping is via insured air mail too so at least that shouldn't take too long, unless it get's held in customs/courier for any length of time.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I'm a little torn if I should though as if they implement any of them, then I'm helping them to make better fakes! :\
    If you are that concerned about supporting them then surely the logical thing is not to buy one. <confused>

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You might disagree but I see a difference in buying a cheap copy that's pretty close to the original, and helping them to make a more accurate fake that is more likely to confuse buyers. 

From the pictures, this one seems close enough already, but there are minor things I can see straight away that identify it as a fake (f-hole size, cutaway shape, bridge choice, incorrect trapeze, pickguard bracket etc.). These are all things that they could easily rectify if they were pointed out to them (and if it was cost-effective), but they would then begin to be much harder to identify when placed next to a modern reissue from Gibson - particularly the new Trini reissue which is much more accurate than the first attempt.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    Does it make me a bad person that I really don't care about the whole fake/counterfeit thing.

1. Will gibson go out of business because of it? No

2. Are these guitars made in a sweatshop by people who are paid bugger all and get beaten? Unlikely. If that was the case I would t touch it with a barge pole

But the whole fake thing just doesn't factor with me.

Fire up the flame thrower
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    For me the main thing is what logo they have on them. I have no issues with copies which you cannot try and pass off as the real thing. If you ordered one of these with Chibson as the logo and a slightly different head stock shape then I don't have a problem with them.

I also don't like partsacasters with Fender logos on them either but that's just me.

I've been on the site and if guitar geeks is any good i could be very tempted by a purple stained 355 with chrome hardware, a custom logo and different headstock as I can't buy that anywhere else.
    You might disagree but I see a difference in buying a cheap copy that's pretty close to the original, and helping them to make a more accurate fake that is more likely to confuse buyers. 
    You could always tell them the wrong things, e.g. "it should really have a 25.5" scale length"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Me neither. Except when unwary and less knowledgeable people get conned. No suggestion this is the case here of course.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    GuitarMonkey;181941" said:
    Travisthedog said:

Me neither. Except when unwary and less knowledgeable people get conned. No suggestion this is the case here of course.
    Absolutely
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Adam_MD said:
    Cheers for that! :)
    Minor update - I had a reply yesterday confirming that the small binding and logo had not been finished yet, hence the difference between specs and photos. They'll be sending some more progress pics shortly for confirmation - this is far better than I expected when I placed the order. To be honest I half expected to either get scammed with a dud, or get a generic off-the-shelf version sent straight to me. I've had less contact from UK & US builders* before during a build so it's a nice touch. :) 

I've enquired about adding a hard-case too as I'm not sure if the headstock would squeeze into a normal 335 case, and it'll be tricky to source one otherwise if I feel the need.

I made the mistake of not asking about fitting an ABR-1 bridge too, but i've found some nice conversion posts to fit the larger bushings that should do the job later on. I'd like to keep it fairly vintage accurate, so one of the mods i'd like to try is fitting nylon saddles like the originals. I'll see how bright it is though first.

Here's my inspiration for the build;

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27491
    edited March 2014
    @guitargeek62 ... if yours turns out OK, I'm more likely than not going to order something for myself.

So I'm watching this thread with more than passing interest!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony;186566" said:
    @guitargeek62 ... if yours turns out OK, I'm more likely than not going to order something for myself.

So I'm watching this thread with more than passing interest!
    Me too if @guitargeek62 is happy with his then I'll be ordering a purple 345. I never ever considered a purple 335 type until I saw the pics on their site.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited March 2014
    Interesting. It's taking a while isn't it?
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Can I have a wee pm too plesse?
    @Deijavoo pm'd
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Where's all the hate gone for these chibsons. ( not that I'm a hater ) :)

Just saying like ........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom