Custom Chibson Experience (Internals vid added)

What's Hot

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    blueskunk said:
    Where's all the hate gone for these chibsons. ( not that I'm a hater ) :)

Just saying like ........
    Does this mean it is OK for young @AdolfHipster to put his up in the classifieds now? ;)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    edited March 2014
    blueskunk said:

It's still here. 

Copies, homages etc as long as they use a different logo and are not exact copies are fine with me.

Anything else with a fake logo  is just meant to deceive or why would you bother?

I'm surprised there is so much interest in finding out more about this stuff as all other guitar fora I post on really dislike counterfeit stuff. 
    :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    But the whole fake thing just doesn't factor with me.
    Me neither. Except when unwary and less knowledgeable people get conned. No suggestion this is the case here of course.
    The trouble is that people rarely keep a guitar for all their lives and no matter how sanctimonious and careful people are about it somewhere down the road somebody usually ends up being conned.

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    Neil;186609" said:
    GuitarMonkey said:

Travisthedog said:

Me neither. Except when unwary and less knowledgeable people get conned. No suggestion this is the case here of course.

The trouble is that people rarely keep a guitar for all their lives and no matter how sanctimonious and careful people are about it somewhere down the road somebody usually ends up being conned.
    Caveat Emptor
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil said:
    blueskunk said:

It's still here. 

Copies, homages etc as long as they use a different logo and are not exact copies are fine with me.

Anything else with a fake logo  is just meant to deceive or why would you bother?

I'm surprised there is so much interest in finding out more about this stuff as all other guitar fora I post on really dislike counterfeit stuff. 
    :(

I believe that several of us are interested in the fact that the company seems to be offering the ability to custom spec a 335 alike guitar, down to neck size, paint type and f hole binding, for not much money. Apart from the OP, I don't think anybody's said they're planning to have a gibson logo applied...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    blueskunk said:

He'll get that, when he pretends it's not for sale, but it really is..! ;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Could the OP pm me the link, too, please? I'd like to have a wee butchers..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    JookyChap said:
    blueskunk said:

Does this mean it is OK for young @AdolfHipster to put his up in the classifieds now? ;)
    It's got nothing to do with our opinions or otherwise on the morality of buying them, but we've had legal advice that if you let people sell stuff with the wrong logo on the headstock you are open to prosecution even if you say in the ad that it's a fake. 
    edited March 2014
    Neil;186609" said:
    GuitarMonkey said:

Travisthedog said:

Caveat Emptor
    Very easy to say of course but somebody who may not be an expert in the minefield that is second hand guitars might just believe the fake name on the headstock.

Still,  just saying caveat emptor makes all the fakery OK doesn't it?

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    t's got nothing to do with our opinions or otherwise on the morality of buying them, but we've had legal advice that if you let people sell stuff with the wrong logo on the headstock you are open to prosecution even if you say in the ad that it's a fake. 
    Nah, quite agree, I don't think anybody wants fakes for sale on here anyway. I was more amused at my own moral compass spinning randomly - I'm following this with interest too, but would be the third to fire up the pitchfork in a different area of the forum.

• It's interesting how good the process is going. I've heard quite a few horror stories from UK and US luthiers so it's kinda cool you can spec a guitar and get it custom built.

I'd design my own logo though.

See also Atlas Custom Guitars. They wwon't fake a logo (don't like faking myself) but the make wonderful quality stuff for a reasonable price. I've contacted the UK rep for them and he's a nice bloke and is confident in the quality.

They also supply build pics as they go.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    I'd actually quite like one of those DG types, but I'd probably get it tweaked and not have the G logo. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27484
    I think a nice "Chibson" logo is the way to go ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    JookyChap;186641" said:
    monquixote said:

t's got nothing to do with our opinions or otherwise on the morality of buying them, but we've had legal advice that if you let people sell stuff with the wrong logo on the headstock you are open to prosecution even if you say in the ad that it's a fake. 

Nah, quite agree, I don't think anybody wants fakes for sale on here anyway. I was more amused at my own moral compass spinning randomly - I'm following this with interest too, but would be the third to fire up the pitchfork in a different area of the forum.
    I'm with you on this I really don't like the fact they'll put a Gibson logo on it but would have absolutely no issue if they used their own.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    edited March 2014
    I'm happy to be the forum guinea-pig for this place, and trust me, it'll be ripped apart as soon as it gets here (with pics!) to check the build standards out. I'm still expecting the neck profile to not be quite what I'm hoping for, but we'll see soon enough I guess.

@Stevebrum, it's taking a little longer than their first estimate but I'd rather they take their time and build it closer to my spec, than rush it and miss something potentially. Besides, it's 4 weeks to the day since I placed my order, that's more than reasonable in my book for a complete build, including finishing. :)

In regards to the logo, I understand the comments, but I genuinely don't foresee a situation arising when this particular one will be sold. I can't stress enough that it'll kept as a (literal) wall-hanger if I don't like the end result. If it's an ugly beast too, then it'll get the headstock stripped, and fixed up as best as I can for a school donation or some-such.

On the other hand, my next one from here wouldn't have the Gibson logo. ;)

*edit* Not sure if I mentioned it before but I specified a particular serial number too (My initials and birthdate), which won't match up to anything from Gibson and should instantly raise suspicions if it was ever checked.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    guitargeek62;186672" said:
    I'm happy to be the forum guinea-pig for this place, and trust me, it'll be ripped apart as soon as it gets here (with pics!) to check the build standards out. I'm still expecting the neck profile to not be quite what I'm hoping for, but we'll see soon enough I guess.

@Stevebrum, it's taking a little longer than their first estimate but I'd rather they take their time and build it closer to my spec, than rush it and miss something potentially. Besides, it's 4 weeks to the day since I placed my order, that's more than reasonable in my book for a complete build, including finishing. :)
    I guess 4 weeks isn't that bad. I was under the impression they'd knock hundreds out a week and you'd pick one up for a bag of rice...

As you rightly say it's a custom build so or will take some time.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    Yep, if I'd have picked a stock one then I'd be seriously getting worried that it hadn't shipped by now! I think they mostly run a build-to-order system though by the sounds of it. Although I'm sure they keep a stock of right-handed blue, and black DG-335s ready to go. :)
  • I'm thinking about a Trini, bound diamond holes, wine red nitro finish, and a bigsby (which I guess I'd need to add myself). And a personalised logo. Pretty much like the one they have posted on their Trini section of the site under custom builds.

• Basically this one, but with a bigsby and no kitten.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Just in case anyone was wondering, they will do custom Firebirds too...

I asked, and now I'm obsessing about an Inverness Green Firebird I