Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• kt66 said:
    Never had such an obvious stock take, it was ruthless.
    I had to agree I have too many.
    Let the battle commence 
    You didn't have to agree it was "too many". Unless she had her hand around your goolies at the time. You could have agreed it was "a lot", or that the number in question was actually the number she said it was. Your mistake was agreeing to qualify the number rather than agree to its quantitative value.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    On a serious note, if your other half is going around the house counting guitars then you already have bigger problems than the quantity of guitars in the house. 
    THIS

if you are hiding it and then being managed by your misses you have bigger issues.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6819
    kt66 said:
    Live in London, small house, and I'm really a drummer, very few places to hide, she counted the ones in the "dining" room , and then asked me how many upstairs.  You don't lie to her.  But first time she's ever shown interest in 
    "how many" 
    Just hide them behind the drum kits, they’ll be harder to spot then!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited December 2017
    "You didn't have to agree it was "too many"

12 in total, incl 1 on long term loan from friend and one acoustic that's not really playable.

I am a drummer 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited December 2017
    kt66 said:
    "You didn't have to agree it was "too many"

12 in total, incl 1 on long term loan from friend and one acoustic that's not really playable.

I am a drummer 
    If you play guitar you’re a guitarist. That’s actually a fairly average amount compared to what some people have on this forum.

And then there’s Harry7 who has 12 of each type of guitar.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30924
    I have related this story before, but a mate of mate who is a serious player  once went on a 'clear out' of 'all his spare gear'. He had loads of parts.

He then, absolutely true, had a 1963 CAR strat shipped from the USA in pieces, totally dis-assembled, in several packs.

He added said strat, in bits, to his spare parts, proudly showed his wife what he'd managed to clear out, announced he'd make a guitar from a few bits and sell the rest of the parts to take her on holiday.

I doff my flat cap of working class humility of this piece of strategic genius.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    If my fiancée told me I had too many guitars I would tell her I have two many girlfriends and I need to cut back to 0. 

Honestly i never understand this - so long as you pay your half and you can afford the things you want to do together, what does it matter how you spend YOUR money?? You work hard for it and you should be able to spend it however and on whatever you like. it works the same for your partner too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, I have very recently 'bought a guitar on behalf of a mate learning' only for him to 'tragically not to bond with music' and him returning to me a few weeks later.......

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Gassage said:
    I have related this story before, but a mate of mate who is a serious player  once went on a 'clear out' of 'all his spare gear'. He had loads of parts.

He then, absolutely true, had a 1963 CAR strat shipped from the USA in pieces, totally dis-assembled, in several packs.

He added said strat, in bits, to his spare parts, proudly showed his wife what he'd managed to clear out, announced he'd make a guitar from a few bits and sell the rest of the parts to take her on holiday.

Hey, that my story!

I genuinely did that on an eBay purchase about 10 years ago. Had a strat shipped to work, disassembled it, smuggled the bits home and announced I was making a guitar up from spares.

milked LOLs here on many occasions over the years!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    Gassage said:

Hey, that my story!

I genuinely did that on an eBay purchase about 10 years ago. Had a strat shipped to work, disassembled it, smuggled the bits home and announced I was making a guitar up from spares.

milked LOLs here on many occasions over the years!
    It may well have been; but I reckon also have heard it elsewhere, and I reckon you're not alone in doing it...I have genuinely considered it too!

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    As long as they don't make a mess, I mean as long as they're organised and everything looks neat, my Mrs is happy. I'm not necessarily so, because I can't really afford to keep everything and I'm still looking to downsize the "collection" and find the "perfect" strat. Think I've found it btw, but need to sell things on first. 
  • I've noticed a pattern: Just after we have a discussion approximating "This is probably as many guitars as you need really isn't it" and I agree ... seems to be prompt from the universe to put something rare and interesting (and for a price I can't refuse) right in front of my nose.

It would be a crime not to buy it at that price - see my new Crackle finish Charvel ... 

That's happened a lot.

Was interesting just how my guitars I had secreted around the house. Not hidden per se, just fitted neatly into little guitar case shaped spaces. Moving house was interesting ... lots of guitar cases.

There are lots of guitars I've been looking for for a very long time, so when they come up cheap I instinctively just buy them ...

'tis my nature. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9674
    kt66 said:
    Never had such an obvious stock take, it was ruthless.
    I had to agree I have too many.
    Let the battle commence 
    Do a stock take of her shoes and handbags. Then ask her how many she actually she can use at one time. Let battle commence.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    HAL9000 said:

Do a stock take of her shoes and handbags. Then ask her how many she actually she can use at one time. Let battle commence.
    Taking it from the conventional to the thermonuclear,  I advise caution.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoans said:
    HAL9000 said:

Taking it from the conventional to the thermonuclear,  I advise caution.
    Why have you got 2 of each shoe?

Surely you could have one of each and make pairs between similar shoes and therefore regain 50% shoe storage.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Gassage said:
    I actually have at least 65% of my machines in sunburst.

It lessens the chance of Alistair spotting new editions, and as they tend all to be Fender or Gibson, and the chances are quite slim as the colour offers a masking agent of IOC substance list proportions.

Worryingly though, he's started to distinguish between maple and rosewood boards. That's a serious concern.

Wait until he starts asking about the tonal  differences. That’s when you move in for the kill and convert. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2380
    edited December 2017
    Tell her she'll be wealthy when you pass. True story I was left after a close friend died to sell his extensive guitar collection. He had thirty odd instruments ranging from £1500 to £8000. Took me a while to sell them, his wife didn't seem interested till I deposited £120000 into her account. She was gobsmacked, her husband had hidden many from her, told her that some were on loan from me and that the rest only cost under a grand. She genuinely had no idea. 
    My solution is to have a wife with an expensive hobby, my wifes equestrian expenditure over the course of our marriage far exceeds my guitar outlay. She never questions what I spend and often encourages me...win win 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31591
    kt66 said:
    p90fool said:
    On a serious note, if your other half is going around the house counting guitars then you already have bigger problems than the quantity of guitars in the house. 
    not correct, great relationship. 
    Pleased to hear it, @kt66 !
    edited May 2019
    Strat54 said:
    Tell her she'll be wealthy when you pass. True story I was left after a close friend died to sell his extensive guitar collection. He had thirty odd instruments ranging from £1500 to £8000. Took me a while to sell them, his wife didn't seem interested till I deposited £120000 into her account. She was gobsmacked, her husband had hidden many from her, told her that some were on loan from me and that the rest only cost under a grand. She genuinely had no idea. 
    My solution is to have a wife with an expensive hobby, my wifes equestrian expenditure over the course of our marriage far exceeds my guitar outlay. She never questions what I spend and often encourages me...win win 
    I have always thought that a lot of women not really having hobbies is a big problem for men.
    She's had her shoes and bags phase, now over, I have too many hobbies that cost too much, HIFI is my first love, seen the price of a Lyra Cartridge ? or Paiste 602 cymbals?
    I would love her to have an expensive hobby but it won't happen. 
    edited May 2019
    Strat54 said:
    I always remind her how much I paid and how much they are worth, I never lose a cent on guitar buying.