Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2778
    How many saucepans do you need. .......?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My other half knows to speak to a guitar playing friend of mine if I ever pop my clogs. 

I’d hate her to go into a dodgy guitar shop (or worse, a cash converters) and end up being given £500 to “take them off her hands”. 

Genuinely though, both my friend and my wife are both clear on this arrangement :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    sev112 said:
    How many saucepans do you need. .......?

Three.  But that's another thread.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
    Might be time to do a stock take of how many wives you've got...
  • I know that these threads are always somewhat tongue in cheek but if you're a grown adult hiding purchases from your spouse then you have serious issues. Particularly if those purchases run into big bucks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    edited December 2017
    p90fool said:
    On a serious note, if your other half is going around the house counting guitars then you already have bigger problems than the quantity of guitars in the house. 
    sure does.

Op has been found out to be a liar, underhand and secretly spending money.. wonder what is going through the other half's head? "if he lied about 6 guitars and has 26, I wonder what else he has lied about. Omg he's having an affair!!"

Female thought process innit.

Edit; think I have mixed stories in the thread. I'd be crap at this secret buying stuff..
  • p90fool said:
    On a serious note, if your other half is going around the house counting guitars then you already have bigger problems than the quantity of guitars in the house. 
    sure does.

Op has been found out to be a liar, underhand and secretly spending money.. wonder what is going through the other half's head? "if he lied about 6 guitars and has 26, I wonder what else he has lied about. Omg he's having an affair!!"

Edit; think I have mixed stories in the thread. I'd be crap at this secret buying stuff..
    If you got that many guitars you dont want to have an affair she can rest easy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    sure does.

If you got that many guitars you dont want to have an affair she can rest easy
    That is male logic. No question.

Someone on here was in the dog house because his other half dreamed he'd had an affair... 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    bazxkr said:

haha, know the feeling. I got busted 1W December, she never goes in my music room but wouldn't wait for me to get the Xmas decs down and they are in storage rooms off my music room. So she took it on herself to sort it. What's worse is that she had to move 26 guitar cases (only two of which were empty) so she knows they were nearly all full ! She understood I had only 6 !! So been in the doghouse for couple of weeks now. Still, I'm working on the solution....started digging a patio footing outside the kitchen door & have just left it. She been quiet as a mouse on the subject this week

What? You're burying her? That's a bit strong :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1954
    edited December 2017
    kt66 said:
    Strat54 said:
    Tell her she'll be wealthy when you pass. True story I was left after a close friend died to sell his extensive guitar collection. He had thirty odd instruments ranging from £1500 to £8000. Took me a while to sell them, his wife didn't seem interested till I deposited £120000 into her account. She was gobsmacked, her husband had hidden many from her, told her that some were on loan from me and that the rest only cost under a grand. She genuinely had no idea. 
    My solution is to have a wife with an expensive hobby, my wifes equestrian expenditure over the course of our marriage far exceeds my guitar outlay. She never questions what I spend and often encourages me...win win 
    I always remind her how much I paid and how much they are worth, I never lose a cent on guitar buying. 
    But when you go to sell, surely you charge 50% less VAT for 2nd hand...Right?!  o
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    My wife moaned at how Many guitars i had ....5 .she then proceeded to go on Gumtree and notify me of any cheap guitars I might be interested .So far a Keiper 109 Les Paul sized hollowbody for  60 quid ,love it and a real keeper .A Vintage Zip for 30 ,quirky but plays well and fun and a couple of Squier strats I resold for a profit .

wimmen ....sigh
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    Ok Fenderistas .Buy a  dirt cheap strat  or tele.. .put a Fender decal on it ,then slowly replace all the parts with the pukkah parts .You can re spray the old body with a theatrical flourish  then craftily sub the real parts if you want to colour change the body .Havnt actually done it apart from replacing a cheapy  T neck with a Fender but I doubt she noticed  .
  • Reading this thread has reminded me of one of the few benefits of being single....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66 said:
    "You didn't have to agree it was "too many"

12 in total, incl 1 on long term loan from friend and one acoustic that's not really playable.

I am a drummer 
    Your only playing at it with 12. Ha ha ha 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    So long as I only buy white fenders with rosewood boards of black LP's i'll be OK. There's only so many times one can use the old 'oh this? it's been at my folks/mates/tech/studio etc' line
  • Strat54 said:
    Tell her she'll be wealthy when you pass. True story I was left after a close friend died to sell his extensive guitar collection. He had thirty odd instruments ranging from £1500 to £8000. Took me a while to sell them, his wife didn't seem interested till I deposited £120000 into her account. She was gobsmacked, her husband had hidden many from her, told her that some were on loan from me and that the rest only cost under a grand. She genuinely had no idea. 
    My solution is to have a wife with an expensive hobby, my wifes equestrian expenditure over the course of our marriage far exceeds my guitar outlay. She never questions what I spend and often encourages me...win win 
    That reminds me of a quote that goes something like "my biggest fear is that I die and my wife sells my [guitars/bike/cars/whatever] for what I told her I'd paid for them"

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26688
    edited December 2017
    HAL9000 said:
    kt66 said:
    Never had such an obvious stock take, it was ruthless.
    I had to agree I have too many.
    Let the battle commence 
    Do a stock take of her shoes and handbags. Then ask her how many she actually she can use at one time. Let battle commence.
    This is what I did, when my wife demanded to know how much money I'd spent on the gear I had in the house (crucially, she didn't ask how much I'd spent *in total*) in the middle of an argument about something else. So...I suggested we have a stock take of her handbags alone, not even the shoes. In good spirits, and confident she was going to "win" (ie having spent much less), we worked it all out together. Rough final tallies (this was 5-10 years ago, my memory isn't what it was)...

Guitar gear: £4,500
    Handbags: £8,200

We were both shocked. Me at my total being so low, and she at hers being so high...plus the realisation that including the shoes would've put her into five figures, as well as the fact that she couldn't possibly have afforded that on her wage at the time (near minimum wage), so there's nearly 100% chance that quite a bit of the money I hand over for bills etc every month must've gone into the pot on a regular basis...I didn't have a huge problem with that, but she really did.

Since then, I've never heard a peep from her on the subject (and, to her credit, she got rid of a lot of them and now buys about one handbag per year...), and to keep it fair I've never mentioned the handbag situation except when storage becomes an issue and they start appearing in my wardrobe etc.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Pretty sure my missus doesn’t know or care how many guitars I’ve got.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • To be fair, my wife has chilled out a lot since we bought our own house. It was a major dream of hers and she did resent any purchase as taking money away. I was not fussed about buying a house so we had some fun arguments.

No she doesn't care so long as we save the agreed amount each month for our maintainence fund. 

I do think if you are having to secretly squirrel away gear then something is fundamentally wrong with one of you..
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    It does depend a lot on the wife tbh, mine gives me a knowing smile when I buy any music gear which isn't a tool for our band, but it's tempered by her having 3 motorcycles, 4 bicycles and 3 drum kits. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom