Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    p90fool said:
    It does depend a lot on the wife tbh, mine gives me a knowing smile when I buy any music gear which isn't a tool for our band, but it's tempered by her having 3 motorcycles, 4 bicycles and 3 drum kits. 
    I wouldn't want to upset her then!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    edited December 2017
    Can’t imagine not being honest with the Mrs about my guitars -she is usually the one who finds them listed and suggests I give them a go (we both know trying leads to buying). She’s not even a player herself so must just enjoy hearing them being played. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    Strat54 said:

My solution is to have a wife with an expensive hobby, my wifes equestrian expenditure over the course of our marriage far exceeds my guitar outlay. She never questions what I spend and often encourages me...win win 
    Ditto - subject hasn't really surfaced since she bought a dressage horse .... ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Having spent 12 years with a beauty therapist for a girlfriend I became only too aware at how much money some ladies spend at the beauty parlour & hairdressers, which never gets questioned because it doesn't show up as items in the house.
    and the fact that a lot of hair salons are charging £100+ for a cut colour and blow dry, it can soon stack up.

So there are other habits that add up but don't show up as physical goods.
    Consider that a 20 a day smoking habit costs you £3000+ a year - that would net you a cool guitar or amp

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    It's not really about money, it's more about space.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    I know that these threads are always somewhat tongue in cheek but if you're a grown adult hiding purchases from your spouse then you have serious issues. Particularly if those purchases run into big bucks. 
    Coming from 'uncle phychosis' !
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    My gf knows how many guitars i have but also states that it is my money to spend accordingly. She is bemused by how often my collection changed over the past few years but that is about it. I am the one that puts limits on how many i "need" to have which is limited by the amount i earn, other outgoings in my life and not wanting to neglect a guitar for too long :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    My wife only realized how many guitars I had when we moved, but to be honest, so did I. I had a room dedicated to them and when I was designing the shelving, she said that I should leave enough room for a hundred, as I already had eighty five.  It turns out that the racks held a few more than 100, so since I was just using the space to estimate, I was off by about 20, though we still didn't actually count them - I do have the movers inventory but didn't add it up yet.

btw.  she hasn't said anything to me about having too many guitars.  
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    My wife doesn't really spend on anything. Looks for sale rail clothes, always buys the deals and doesn't have any expensive hobbies. She doesn't need to be like this, as although we're not flush with cash, we're reasonably comfortable.

I on the other hand have an expensive camera plus lenses, telescopes, a boat, guitars, amps, pedals, mountain/road bikes... the list goes on.

She really doesn't mind what I spend my money on as long as we can still pay our bills, go for meals, go on holiday etc

If I'm selling a guitar to buy another she'll be the first to say ' do you need to sell that one '
  • @PhilKing pics pls
    This is the room as it was once I moved things in (before buying more guitars):

0reaction image LOL 30reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Wonderful thread - gave the Mrs and I more laughs than any comedy show on tellybox this week. I don't think I'm in any danger as mrs Fez has enough wool to knit a scarf for every member of the armed forces.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • PhilKing said:

Sorry Phil, where did you say you lived?

Impressive btw.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • PhilKing said:

Sorry Phil, where did you say you lived?

Impressive btw.
    In particular your post code and alarm code... no reason, just making sure we can all keep an eye out for you. :)

That is a serious collection, bet you lose hours in there!
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    So Phil if you still had 85 guitars assuming you haven't bought any more and you do what I do and play a different one each day in rotation so they all get played it would take you 12 weeks, meaning each guitar would get played 4 times a year.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Good lord, that's an impressive room Phil. How do you go about insuring that many guitars? And i make the assumption that there is an amp collection too?

My collection has been reduced somewhat over the past 4-5 years, however it is also slowly increasing as I build them..... I reckon I have the wood/pickups to make around 6-7 more, notwithstanding acoustics.

Adam
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    PhilKing said:

If jealously is a terrible thing, I must be a very, very bad man
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Thats a lot of guitars. I’m not saying it’s too many guitars, I’m just saying it’s a LOT of guitars.. B)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    PhilKing said:

Scope there to hide them behind false walls ;)
    We just moved out  .  We are just in the new house for 6 months, so I will have them on chrome shelving as a temporary measure.  When we get a new place then I'll need to get another set of shelving built.

We saw a house we liked that had a hidden basement room which would have been brilliant for the guitars and amps, but unfortunately our house sale fell through and we weren't able to get it.  

I play some much more often than others (for example my Ibanez RG probably only comes out once a year, but the Feline Lion or 60 Strat are played almost every week).  There are also a lot that I have put together or modified, so the true vintage ones are more like 25.  There are a lot of amps too.  Probably way too many now, as I don't play as often, but I have joined another band (though as the bass player) and am looking to see if I can find one where I play guitar mainly.