Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss answer to helix - fx 8 - headrush finally released

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited February 2018
    Fretwired said:
    WTF is this guy talking about ... :-)

Phew reminds me why I won't be stepping down that particular route i.e. Helix, Fractal AX8, etc
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28417
    Fretwired said:
    WTF is this guy talking about ... :-)

Errrrr!?!

I couldn't listen to that guy talking. Just totally random jibber jabber
    Still better than the yawnfest playing.

"Hi - we're Boss, and we've made a unit that sounds like every guitar shop on a Saturday afternoon. Yay us!"
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    i don't find the Helix time based effects anywhere near as good as boss's 500 series tbh, especially the mods and reverbs (and digital delays) even with serious tweaking they just sound a bit cheap to me on the helix, more significantly on record.
    Also they still haven't got a comp that matches cp1-x which appears to be in this GT..

if they've got those right on this new unit i'd rather go for the boss..
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    althy said:
    i don't find the Helix time based effects anywhere near as good as boss's 500 series tbh, especially the mods and reverbs (and digital delays) even with serious tweaking they just sound a bit cheap to me on the helix, more significantly on record.
    Also they still haven't got a comp that matches cp1-x which appears to be in this GT..

Hav you check d put the space echo in the latest firmware?  Sound like a space echo :). The Xotic comp is fab too
  • althy said:

I wouldn't say either are particularly amazing. They're both ok. They do a job
    I do think the Helix is a hell of a lot easier to tweak though. The boss 500 series gives me a nose bleed just thinking about going into that menu.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    I wouldn't say either are particularly amazing. They're both ok. They do a job
    I do think the Helix is a hell of a lot easier to tweak though. The boss 500 series gives me a nose bleed just thinking about going into that menu.
    Agree, i do like the dd's on the DD500 and choruses from the MD better than their contenders though. but if their midi implementation wasn't so quirky i'd go for empress stuff all day.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Manual etc are online now apparently.
  • andyoz said:
    Is this here it mate?

https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/gt-1000/owners_manuals/
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    impmann said:
    "Innovative Stompbox" mode...

I do hope Daniel from the Gigrig spotted that... I'm sure he'd have words to say about the use of that terminology, especially as it sound like *exactly* the same thing that G2 does but with pedal loops.

Boss demos are shocking, though.
    I think it's just called "stompbox mode", and the "innovative" part is just Boss patting themselves on the back.

As for the Gigrig comparison- I don't get it. The GT-1000 and the Gigrig G2 are not really comparable products, and the feature in question isn't common on products that *are* comparable to the GT-1000.
    OK... I was being a little obtuse but...

On G2, "Stombox mode" allows you to kick in individual effects in real time into preset patches (involving multiple individual pedals).
    On this new Boss doodah their "innovative" stompbox mode allows you to kick in individual effects in real time into preset patches (involving onboard effects - I can't be arsed to look, but does the Boss have loops too... if so...).

So very similar in what it in effect does, no?

Boss don't need to pat themselves on the back around here... ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• andyoz said:
    Is this here it mate?

https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/gt-1000/owners_manuals/
    That is indeed the badger.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

edited February 2018
    I saw a note about manual on FB.  I must have a flick through.

It's really up against it though with the Helix LT with it's new sub £700 price.  For one thing Helix LT display is 800 x 480 pixel.  Boss is 512 x 160.

I haven't jump onto the modelling bandwagon but I'm getting more and more confused with each product release LOL.
  • impmann said:
    impmann said:
    "Innovative Stompbox" mode...

I do hope Daniel from the Gigrig spotted that... I'm sure he'd have words to say about the use of that terminology, especially as it sound like *exactly* the same thing that G2 does but with pedal loops.

Boss demos are shocking, though.
    I think it's just called "stompbox mode", and the "innovative" part is just Boss patting themselves on the back.

As for the Gigrig comparison- I don't get it. The GT-1000 and the Gigrig G2 are not really comparable products, and the feature in question isn't common on products that *are* comparable to the GT-1000.
    OK... I was being a little obtuse but...

On G2, "Stombox mode" allows you to kick in individual effects in real time into preset patches (involving multiple individual pedals).
    On this new Boss doodah their "innovative" stompbox mode allows you to kick in individual effects in real time into preset patches (involving onboard effects - I can't be arsed to look, but does the Boss have loops too... if so...).

So very similar in what it in effect does, no?

Boss don't need to pat themselves on the back around here... ;-)

No, it's not the same thing - despite the similar names. Based on reading the manual, what Stomp Box for the GT-1000 seems to do is this...  

On my GT-100 (and I'm not planning on upgrading...) you can have a specific effect with specific settings and store it as a favourite. For example, a modulated delay where the modulation value is 50/100 could be stored as a favourite and then when you're setting up a new patch for the solo in a song, you just go to your favourites and call it up. You might do that for a few patches. However, each patch has a discrete copy of the settings for that effect. If you soundcheck at a gig and then find your delay sounds better in that room with the modulation reduced to 30/100, you'll have to change every patch which uses that effect with those settings.

The Stomp Box feature in the GT-1000 seems to allow you to only change it in the one place and have every patch dynamically retrieve the new settings without you needing to edit them all individually. Which is not the same thing as kicking in  a new effect to an existing patch in real time a la the G2 Stompbox mode.  

Of course, just like physical effects pedals with cables, finding that a patch sounds better if you reduce the modulation to 30/100 doesn't mean that all the patches using that effect with those settings will still sound good. 

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited February 2018
    The fanboys are out in this thread!

I'm loving how comparisons are being made when one of the multis isn't even out on the market yet...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • The fanboys are out in this thread!

I'm loving how comparisons are being made when one of the multis isn't even out on the market yet...
    Not me. I just think discussions go better if we're armed with the facts. Still, glad you're enjoying it. How's the popcorn? 
  • Seems an odd thing to compare a physical switching system with a digital multi fx. It's not as if people would be choosing one or the other..they are completely different things. Fact is, no other multi does this and it's a really cool feature.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    I assume the keyboards heads are also going nuts for the likes of the Line 6 HX etc. Some powerful tone processing in these user friendly boxes.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Seems an odd thing to compare a physical switching system with a digital multi fx. It's not as if people would be choosing one or the other..they are completely different things. Fact is, no other multi does this and it's a really cool feature.
    Not comparing.

Merely pointing out (using humour missed on 99% of you, clearly) that the concept of using 'stompboxes' within patches is nothing new or "innovative". Whether or not anyone else is currently making a multi that does it is moot - and I'm fairly sure other firms have done similar before (didn't the Line6 HD500 do that..?)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    Seems an odd thing to compare a physical switching system with a digital multi fx. It's not as if people would be choosing one or the other..they are completely different things. Fact is, no other multi does this and it's a really cool feature.
    Not comparing.

Merely pointing out (using humour missed on 99% of you, clearly) that the concept of using 'stompboxes' within patches is nothing new or "innovative". Whether or not anyone else is currently making a multi that does it is moot - and I'm fairly sure other firms have done similar before (didn't the Line6 HD500 do that..?)

Nope - the HD500 didn't do it. Much to my irritation. That's the thing...it seems like an obvious thing to have because it would be so incredibly useful and practical. But nobody has done it before. Kind of the definition of innovation. :)
  • impmann said:
    Not comparing.

Nope - the HD500 didn't do it. Much to my irritation. That's the thing...it seems like an obvious thing to have because it would be so incredibly useful and practical. But nobody has done it before. Kind of the definition of innovation. :)
    Eh? Doesn't the helix do that or have I missed something?
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    impmann said:
    Not comparing.

No, nobody has done this as far as I know (apart from AxeFX).  Many manufacturers bang on about "stomp" functionality without acknowledging the major difference with a real stomp which is the GLOBAL aspect.  Tweak a knob once, and that change is universal, regardless of how many other effects are locked to patches.

Since I bought my first MFX (a GT5 in about 1997), I have always used external drive pedals alongside them for this very reason.  Every time a new MFX comes out, I scour the manual to see if they've addressed this, and they never have until this latest Boss release.

In my day job I'm a UI designer (not MI industry), and I've often thought about trying to get in with the likes of Boss, L6, etc to make stuff like this happen.

I did attempt to start a discussion on this back in 2015, but nobody seemed to be interested  :)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/55150/mfx-with-global-od-settings

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here