Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Florida shooting ...

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5638
    VimFuego said:
    For me, the very need of something like that should be a huge wakeup call, a rubicon moment so to speak, an indicator of how far things have fallen.
    It’s like the frog in hot water analogy, though. Pop a frog in hot water and it’ll jump straight out. Put it in cold water and heat it up and it’ll happily boil to death. 

If we all suddenly woke woke up in 2018 to a dozen and a half mass shootings society would probably do something about it. 

Its been a gradual increase over the last 40 years or so, so society has slowly become conditioned to it and while some are outraged others, particularly pro gun folk, don’t see a problem. 

I also think that the more mass school shootings that happen, the propensity for them to happen increases. It sews the idea in a twisted mind that shooting up a load of school kids and teachers is a way to let go of internal angst and go down in a blaze of glory. I may not have worded that as well as I wanted so please don’t think I’m rationalising it as acceptable in any way shape or form. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9681
    Well, he’s now suggesting teachers could be armed!

My first thought is that this is a rubbish idea (although I can see that being able to take down a shooter before the police get there could well save lives).

If I was a teacher I’m not sure that I would want that kind of responsibility. And if I should get it wrong I can’t imagine having to explain to bereaved parents that I’d made a dreadful mistake.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched a bit of that listening thing with Trump and that chap talking about visiting his daughter in the graveyard made me cry. Then Trump talking about teachers carrying concealed guns ( as @HAL9000 mentions above) . Because that’s the problem, not enough guns. 

Im sure there isn’t a simple answer but I feel the man who had $21m off the NRA in 2016 doesn’t have it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72399
    Straight from the NRA wish list.

If armed people at schools are the right solution - which I'm not sure they are, but I admit there may be limited alternatives in a country awash with guns - then it needs to be trained security officers, not teachers. Paid for by a direct tax on the gun industry.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep...because teachers carrying guns into every classroom is exactly what inner-city schools need. Not difficult to see what happens next...teacher gets overpowered by a bunch of nearly-adult-sized kids, they take the gun, and...oh look, another school shooting.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep...because teachers carrying guns into every classroom is exactly what inner-city schools need. Not difficult to see what happens next...teacher gets overpowered by a bunch of nearly-adult-sized kids, they take the gun, and...oh look, another school shooting.
    There’s really no need to overpower the teacher, since all the kids are packing AR15s... 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ...or just a  teacher having a bad day suddenly remembers s/he has a gun in their pocket. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting stuff from Rubio in the debate (if that’s the right word). He almost sounded receptive to new ideas, which I assume is mostly just an attempt to make it blow over, but at least a little bit of credit goes to him for actually having the balls to show up. One wonders if he’s also lining himself up for a future run at the presidency by distancing himself as far as possible from the current administration,

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15494
    carrying a gun, and being able to use a gun effectively under pressure are two different things. This is why the army (especially the arms, like the infantry) and armed police spend a lot of time on firing ranges, training under simulated pressure. When are teachers going to fit in this practise? Will they have to be certified? insured? Will they have similar legal protections as police officers when it comes to the use of force?
    If I didn't know better, it sounds like a soundbite reaction made public in a tweet, not that the Don ever does that...

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• VimFuego said:
    carrying a gun, and being able to use a gun effectively under pressure are two different things. This is why the army (especially the arms, like the infantry) and armed police spend a lot of time on firing ranges, training under simulated pressure. When are teachers going to fit in this practise? Will they have to be certified? insured? Will they have similar legal protections as police officers when it comes to the use of force?
    If I didn't know better, it sounds like a soundbite reaction made public in a tweet, not that the Don ever does that...
    More to the point, will teachers even want that responsibility? In addition to the long hours, crap pay and stress increasing year-on-year, they'd now be expected to be the first line of defence.

Not only that, but every school shooter would then just aim for the teacher first, and everyone else afterwards.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    I've been a teacher.  Only for a couple of years.  There would be too much temptation to use it on some of kids!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22919
    VimFuego said:
    Here's part of what Trump said:

“So let’s say you had 20 percent of your teaching force, because that’s pretty much the number. If you had a teacher who was adept at firearms they could very well end the attack very quickly. I think a lot of people are going to be opposed to it, I think a lot of people are going to like it. You can’t have 100 security guards in Stoneman Douglas, that's a big school. That would be a situation that is being discussed by a lot of people. You’d have a lot of people that would be armed, they would be ready. They’re professionals, they may be Marines that left the Marines, left the army, left the airforce and they’re very adept at doing that.”

See, it's simple.  Don't worry about training teachers to use these guns they're all going to be carrying.  Just make having the ability to blast a bad guy out of his fucking socks one of the primary criteria for recruiting them in the first place.  There are too many commie pinkos in the teaching profession anyway.

"Have you completed your geography assignment?"
    "Sir, no, sir!"
    BLAM.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • "If you had a teacher who was adept at firearms..."

Firearms isn't a verb. Jesus wept (pretty sure he wouldn't have been a Republican..)
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    ...or just a  teacher having a bad day suddenly remembers s/he has a gun in their pocket. 
    "Six of the best!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5638
    What happens when a teacher with the responsibility to protect kids fails to do just that? What if, under pressure, he/she can’t take a life, can’t pull the trigger, or isn’t in the right place when the shooter is raining bullets in another classroom?

They’ll probably be persecuted by everyone who then holds them responsible for loss of life that could have been prevented. 

I’d also imagine the nightmare scenario for any teacher given that responsibility would be accidentally taking the life of an innocent while trying to protect the innocent. Not that I know from experience but I imagine things happen fast in a gun fight and it would take only one stray bullet in the wrong direction or through a stud wall to end an innocent life. 

I wouldn’t want that responsibility on any level, thanks. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Haych said:
    They’ll probably be persecuted by everyone who then holds them responsible for loss of life that could have been prevented. 

Yes, the USA being what it is, any armed survivors will be sued to hell!

Really it's none of my business what they do, their land is their land, but their two-faced culture as a country is despicable sometimes.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Slightly disappointed he didn't suggest banning schools.
    TBH I probably wouldn't have been that surprised though.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31599
    There have been some heroic acts by teachers attempting to protect their pupils from nutters, but expecting Miss Jones from Home Economics to get involved in a gun battle?

If anyone needs shooting it's their fucking stupid president. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15494
    p90fool said:
    There have been some heroic acts by teachers attempting to protect their pupils from nutters, but expecting Miss Jones from Home Economics to get involved in a gun battle?

If anyone needs shooting it's their fucking stupid president
    dear mr cia person, the above comment is not indicative of how we all feel on the fretboard. Many of us are supporters of your fine and upstanding president. Please don't call a drone strike on us.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    What schools need are moats - big, deep and full of crocodiles (we all know the sewers are full of them, so they're easily sourced). 
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister