Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Florida shooting ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154
    edited February 2018

Let's see what Mr Trump has to say:

"I never said “give teachers guns” like was stated on Fake News @CNN & @NBC. What I said was to look at the possibility of giving “concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experience - only the best. 20% of teachers, a lot, would now be able to

....immediately fire back if a savage sicko came to a school with bad intentions. Highly trained teachers would also serve as a deterrent to the cowards that do this. Far more assets at much less cost than guards. A “gun free” school is a magnet for bad people. ATTACKS WOULD END!"

"What many people don’t understand, or don’t want to understand, is that Wayne, Chris and the folks who work so hard at the @NRA are Great People and Great American Patriots. They love our Country and will do the right thing. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15636
    it seems to me that 'murica is becoming a fact free zone. I sometimes wonder if they are even the same species as the rest of us.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5691
    VimFuego said:
    it seems to me that 'murica is becoming a fact free zone. I sometimes wonder if they are even the same species as the rest of us.
    It needs invading followed by a regime change. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Haych said:
    VimFuego said:
    It needs invading followed by a regime change. 
    sounds like a plan, we're right behind you. 

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Philly_Q said:

Let's see what Mr Trump has to say:

"I never said “give teachers guns” like was stated on Fake News @CNN & @NBC. What I said was to look at the possibility of giving “concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experience - only the best. 20% of teachers, a lot, would now be able to

....immediately fire back if a savage sicko came to a school with bad intentions. Highly trained teachers would also serve as a deterrent to the cowards that do this. Far more assets at much less cost than guards. A “gun free” school is a magnet for bad people. ATTACKS WOULD END!"

"What many people don’t understand, or don’t want to understand, is that Wayne, Chris and the folks who work so hard at the @NRA are Great People and Great American Patriots. They love our Country and will do the right thing. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"

So he didn't say arm teachers, he said that we should arm teachers, cool, glad he cleared that up :D

Surely all it would mean in the long run is that mental guy with assault rifle would empty a full magazine in to the teacher first to be safe?
    and the mental guy would get another gun for his trouble. I know I may get some flack for this, but I really don't think the don has thought this one through.

VimFuego said:
    and the mental guy would get another gun for his trouble. I know I may get some flack for this, but I really don't think the don has thought this one through.
    Doubt anyone is going to disagree with you bud, I don’t think there’s much cognitive ability in America when it comes to guns at the moment. 

All America want is more guns, yeah that’s the solution, more guns. 

The people in power (i.e. the NRA) don’t want to even consider gun control as a possible solution. That option isn’t on the table. 

Theyre so stuck on the second amendment they can’t see sense. 

So, why not add a 5000% arbitrary tax to every gun, bullet and accessory sold. Introduce an annual licence fee of $10,000 per weapon for owning a gun. Make it mandatory for anyone buying a gun to attend a weapons training course for a week in contested Syrian territory at their own expense. 

Keep your second amendment but this is what it will cost you. 

Wayne LaPierre: To stop a bad guy with a gun it takes a good guy with a gun. 

Well apparently there was a good guy with a gun, an armed security officer assigned to the school, and he stood outside the building for four minutes, 90 seconds after arriving at the scene. 

Florida school shooting: Armed officer 'did not confront killer' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43164634

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24451
    What I have trouble with is how a country that managed to bring the world space travel, the transistor and superglue can simultaneously be so fucking retarded on a huge swathe of policies and attitudes.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    It's a foreign country.

The people voted for Trump.

They like guns.

And no amount of hand wringing or earnest discussion from liberal outsiders will change that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    Neil said:
    It's a foreign country. It's a very foreign country

The people voted for Trump. Even more people voted for Clinton. And even more people didn't bother to vote at all.

They like guns. Some Americans like lots of guns.

And no amount of hand wringing or earnest discussion from liberal outsiders will change that. True

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    FX_Munkee said:
    Sporky said:
     Jesus wept (pretty sure he wouldn't have been a Republican..)
    I'm not as widely travelled as some people here, but I still know not to say that in at least 30 states of the US.
    Hey, we're going for a road trip though at least 4 of them in April...! I shall *not* be talking politics whenever possible..!
    Just in case, for reference:-

+ Get a Haircut!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    edited February 2018
    Pretty shocked to hear that there was a security guy there with a gun and he was to cowardly to go in .... 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43164634
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    axisus said:
    Pretty shocked to hear that there was a security guy there with a gun and he was to cowardly to go in .... 

Is it fair to say he acted cowardly?  I'd love to say i'd go straight in, but unless it happens I don't really know.

I suppose he did get that job
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    edited February 2018
    Neil said:
    It's a foreign country.

The people voted for Trump.

They like guns.

And no amount of hand wringing or earnest discussion from liberal outsiders will change that.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/756459/97-percent-americans-want-universal-background-checks-gun-buyers-67-percent-want-ban-assault-weapons

The majority of Americans do want gun control.  That poll is saying 67% want to ban assault weapons.

The problem is that when they vote, gun control is only one of a number of issues that will affect their decision.  If you look at another hot button topic in the US, there will be a large number who don't want people killed with assault rifles but also don't want unborn babies killed in the womb.  They will point at 44 million abortions since 1970 and regard that as a far bigger issue.

The other big issue is that the NRA is very clever in the whole candidate selection process.  The US system is different with primaries where voters select the candidates.  The NRA will bankroll the campaign of their favoured candidates, and get their activists out to vote in the primary.  A small handful of NRA nutters might not be enough to swing an election where most people vote, but it can be enough to swing a primary with a much smaller number of voters.  The swing voters in the proper election then often don't have the choice to vote for someone who wants gun control.

joeyowen said:
    axisus said:

Is it fair to say he acted cowardly?  I'd love to say i'd go straight in, but unless it happens I don't really know.

this, it's difficult to judge the guy, I'm not sure I'd be willing to put my life on the line for what is a job. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    VimFuego said:
    joeyowen said:
    axisus said:

this, it's difficult to judge the guy, I'm not sure I'd be willing to put my life on the line for what is a job. 

From what I read he was the police liaison officer in the school.  He'd been there since 2009.  It looks like more of a community role than a security role.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    VimFuego said:
    joeyowen said:
    axisus said:

As callous as it feels (and it does). At least this goes quite a long way to disprove the theory that having with good guys with guns will stop bad guys with guns. So the NRA can be slapped over the head with that one.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    crunchman said:
    VimFuego said:
    joeyowen said:
    axisus said:

From what I read he was the police liaison officer in the school.  He'd been there since 2009.  It looks like more of a community role than a security role.

this I didn't know, but it may explain why he didn't act. He was hardly a highly trained close protection officer. And as FX munkee says, it does show that just having armed people there won't necessarily stop an attack. 

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    joeyowen said:
    axisus said:

+wis.  The lesson from this is: we've all seen action movies, but NONE of us are quite sure what we'd do in a situation like this.

A regular chap on another site I read was a retired US cop who boasted that in his career he'd never drawn his weapon on the street, let alone had to fire it. Who knows what being suddenly thrown into that situation does to you...