Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Florida shooting ...

What's Hot

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    VimFuego said:
    p90fool said:
    There have been some heroic acts by teachers attempting to protect their pupils from nutters, but expecting Miss Jones from Home Economics to get involved in a gun battle?

If anyone needs shooting it's their fucking stupid president
    dear mr cia person, the above comment is not indicative of how we all feel on the fretboard. Many of us are supporters of your fine and upstanding president. Please don't call a drone strike on us.
    JVOOYR
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haych said:
    What happens when a teacher with the responsibility to protect kids fails to do just that? What if, under pressure, he/she can’t take a life, can’t pull the trigger, or isn’t in the right place when the shooter is raining bullets in another classroom?

They’ll probably be persecuted by everyone who then holds them responsible for loss of life that could have been prevented. 

I’d also imagine the nightmare scenario for any teacher given that responsibility would be accidentally taking the life of an innocent while trying to protect the innocent. Not that I know from experience but I imagine things happen fast in a gun fight and it would take only one stray bullet in the wrong direction or through a stud wall to end an innocent life. 

I wouldn’t want that responsibility on any level, thanks. 
    This is an awful idea:

Teacher shoots, misses, hits other pupil
    Teacher shoots, kills, then has psychological problems from taking a life
    Teacher doesn't shoot - parents blame teacher, teacher has psychological problems for lives taken, they could have saved
    Teacher goes mad and shoots pupils
    Pupils Over power teacher and shoot teacher.

Teachers are there to educate, the state is there to protect it's citizens from violent crime. Teachers are not meant to be the last line of defense against gun crime.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Donald done a think! Donald done a think!
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Haych said:
    What happens when a teacher with the responsibility to protect kids fails to do just that? What if, under pressure, he/she can’t take a life, can’t pull the trigger, or isn’t in the right place when the shooter is raining bullets in another classroom?

They’ll probably be persecuted by everyone who then holds them responsible for loss of life that could have been prevented. 

I’d also imagine the nightmare scenario for any teacher given that responsibility would be accidentally taking the life of an innocent while trying to protect the innocent. Not that I know from experience but I imagine things happen fast in a gun fight and it would take only one stray bullet in the wrong direction or through a stud wall to end an innocent life. 

This is an awful idea:

Teacher doesn't shoot - parents blame teacher, teacher has psychological problems for lives taken, they could have saved

Teachers are there to educate, the state is there to protect it's citizens from violent crime. Teachers are not meant to be the last line of defense against gun crime.
    Don't forget this is the US so more like... Teacher doesn't shoot - parents blame teacher and sue teacher for $10 million.

Donald is clearly a very special kind of fucknut!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Octafish said:
    Haych said:

This is an awful idea:

Don't forget this is the US so more like... Teacher doesn't shoot - parents blame teacher and sue teacher for $10 million.

Donald is clearly a very special kind of fucknut!
    Totally. I just can't even get my head around the fact that someone in a position of power is mooting that as an answer to the problem. Feels like a very slippery slope.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22917
    edited February 2018
    This is an awful idea:

Plus in at least two of those scenarios the parents, or someone, would sue the teacher for failing to protect their kids.

I can even imagine a shooter's family suing a teacher for using excessive force.  This is America.

(Edit: Octafish beat me to it!)

• Nutjob enters room with gun, fires and misses, teacher responds and disables nutjob. Pupil traumatized after seeing teacher shoot somebody. Teacher is sued. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• Teacher shoots, misses, hits other pupil

You'll also note that every single one of those results in the end of the teacher's career, not just the "teacher goes mad" one.
    <space for hire>
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22917
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15493
    so, to sum up this thread, we all think this about the worst idea since the square wheel, correct?

the yanks are bound to enact it. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonRice666JasonRice666 Frets: 7
    edited February 2018
    As an student in England, I can safely say that I feel safe every day. We have no metal detectors upon entry, we have no security on site, we have a gate and that’s it. The last shooting was in ‘98 and all rifles and handguns were banned. Only shotguns are legal WITH a reason, such as owning a farm or cattle. We haven’t had a shooting since.

On the other hand, knife crime is at an all time high, especially among teenagers. So one could argue that if it’s not guns it’s knives.

However personally I beleive that America needs to step up and make the change for the better of their society.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Can I add some input, as a teacher?  As a lecturer that spends a lot of time trying to help students achieve their goal, for a living.
    (Actually, I typed a lot and deleted it.  This is a bit too searchable, not that it was offensive, I'm just being cautious.)

Basically this.  I'm here to teach, mentor, guide, support etc... and yes, make a living.  I am here to supervise, check welfare, help etc...  Of course.  Am I here to protect?  To an extent yes.  Does that extent cover use of weapons?  No. Nope nope nope nope nope.  

Anyone else watch the Futurama episode where the Earth stood stupid?  the lines SEND MORE TRAINS to solve train crashes?  I see some similarities. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 28350
     Jesus wept (pretty sure he wouldn't have been a Republican..)
    I'm not as widely travelled as some people here, but I still know not to say that in at least 30 states of the US.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15493
    Sporky said:
    I'm not as widely travelled as some people here, but I still know not to say that in at least 30 states of the US.
    yeah, but you can't tell me you'd not be tempted. I know I would.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• In terms of the politics of this (as opposed to the tragedy, which remains such), there's one positive - while America's spending all of its time focusing on their inward stupidity that they're unable to devote much in the way of resources toward spreading their unique brand of stupid around the globe.
    <space for hire>
  • Sporky said:
    Hey, we're going for a road trip though at least 4 of them in April...! I shall *not* be talking politics whenever possible..!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Sporky said:
    Hey, we're going for a road trip though at least 4 of them in April...! I shall *not* be talking politics whenever possible..!
    Just in case, for reference:-

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited February 2018
    Guys I know it sounds crazy, but I now want to punch Wayne LaPierre from the NRA in the throat even more than I do Trump.

What an utterly amoral, bloodsucking excuse for a man. Lowlife vermin. I hope one of his AR15-toting mates turns the fucking rifle on him when there's no "good guy with a gun" around to save him.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    As an student in England, I can safely say that I feel safe every day. We have no metal detectors upon entry, we have no security on site, we have a gate and that’s it. The last shooting was in ‘98 and all rifles and handguns were banned. Only shotguns are legal WITH a reason, such as owning a farm or cattle. We haven’t had a shooting since.

On the other hand, knife crime is at an all time high, especially among teenagers. So one could argue that if it’s not guns it’s knives.

However personally I beleive that America needs to step up and make the change for the better of their society.
    Rifles aren't banned.  A lot of people use them for hunting.

The semi automatic type that was used in Florida is banned though.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22154
    edited February 2018
    Bucket said:
    Guys I know it sounds crazy, but I now want to punch Wayne LaPierre from the NRA in the throat even more than I do Trump.

What an utterly amoral, bloodsucking excuse for a man. Lowlife vermin. I hope one of his AR15-toting mates turns the fucking rifle on him when there's no "good guy with a gun" around to save him.
    If there truly is a God out there, then Wayne LaPierre will be caught by law enforcement officers in some weird sex cult ceremony involving donkeys. And he'll be receiving. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom