Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Florida shooting ...

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    It also goes a long way to show why a ban on assault weapons would be a big start, even if handguns remain legal. A security officer with a handgun against an attacker with an assault rifle... I have some sympathy for him not going in straight away, if that proves to be the case, although I think he still had a duty to.

For the same reason, teachers with handguns against attackers with assault rifles will very likely just add to the casualty figures. Presumably the NRA will propose that schoolteachers keep assault rifles in the classrooms too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26787
    edited February 2018
    crunchman said:
    Neil said:
    It's a foreign country.

The people voted for Trump.

They like guns.

And no amount of hand wringing or earnest discussion from liberal outsiders will change that.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/756459/97-percent-americans-want-universal-background-checks-gun-buyers-67-percent-want-ban-assault-weapons

The majority of Americans do want gun control.  That poll is saying 67% want to ban assault weapons.

Therein lies the rub - did you see the CBS Town Hall with Marco Rubio? He actually came across as a pretty genuine guy, and surprisingly had some excellent points. One of them is that the assault weapons ban would be utterly ineffective - it only covers 200 specific models of assault weapon, and leaves out 2000 more because the definition of "assault weapon" includes that it has a plastic stock (I believe). All gun manufacturers need to do to avoid their weapon being termed an "assault weapon" is to replace that bit with a piece of wood, and job done.

Of course, that's how he justifies not bothering with an assault weapons ban at all, and focusing on background checks...when the obvious thing to do is actually to change the definition of "assault weapon". However, should that happen then the NRA will spend the GDP of a small country bribing senators to vote it down.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    ICBM said:
    It also goes a long way to show why a ban on assault weapons would be a big start, even if handguns remain legal. A security officer with a handgun against an attacker with an assault rifle... I have some sympathy for him not going in straight away, if that proves to be the case, although I think he still had a duty to.

For the same reason, teachers with handguns against attackers with assault rifles will very likely just add to the casualty figures. Presumably the NRA will propose that schoolteachers keep assault rifles in the classrooms too.

Not just that.  The teacher is going to have the safety on.  If it is known that they may have a weapon, they will be the first target.  They will never even get a chance to get it out.

If it is a pupil/ex-pupil like this, they will also have a very good idea which teachers carry the guns.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    While it's true that if there were multiple teachers in the school with guns, one of them might have been able to stop the attacker; it is also true that when confronted with a threat, and you had the option of pulling out a gun, you would use that option.

Now consider the number of teachers confronting threatening/violent students on a daily basis versus the number of teachers who have encountered school shootings, and the problem will become obvious...
  • joeyowen said:
    axisus said:
    Pretty shocked to hear that there was a security guy there with a gun and he was to cowardly to go in .... 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43164634
    Is it fair to say he acted cowardly?  I'd love to say i'd go straight in, but unless it happens I don't really know.

I suppose he did get that job
    running towards shots / bullets is never going to be easy is it, I don't suppose any of us know how we'd act. Maybe he has a young family and got scared. Don't judge anyone put in that position.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Neil said:
    It's a foreign country.

They like guns.

And no amount of hand wringing or earnest discussion from liberal outsiders will change that.

What about hand wringing from Americans? Or even Americans who survived the attack last week?
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5691
    joeyowen said:
    axisus said:
    Pretty shocked to hear that there was a security guy there with a gun and he was to cowardly to go in .... 

Is it fair to say he acted cowardly?  I'd love to say i'd go straight in, but unless it happens I don't really know.

running towards shots / bullets is never going to be easy is it, I don't suppose any of us know how we'd act. Maybe he has a young family and got scared. Don't judge anyone put in that position.
    I feel sorry for the guy. He probably took the job thinking he was an insurance policy nobody would ever need to claim on, if tackling a shooter was ever part of his job description at all.

Like others have said it’s impossible to know how you’d react in the same situation. Hypothetically yeah great, a good guy with a gun, but actually having to go into that situation is a whole different ball game. 

As for teachers with guns, I was listening to a radio excerpt from R5 where a US teacher made a very valid point. The shooter last week went into the school with an assault rifle, body armour and a reinforced helmet. A teacher with a handgun and nothing else is no match for that beyond not wanting the responsibility in the first place. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    joeyowen said:
    axisus said:

Exactly, nine years ago he got a quiet, part time job as a glorified janitor in a nice school with a crappy wage. 

He had a handgun against a heavily armed lunatic firing 45 rounds a minute, and he may have saved a couple of kids by embarking on suicide mission, but I bet that bit wasn't in the job ad he applied for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23151
    VimFuego said:
    crunchman said:
    VimFuego said:
    joeyowen said:
    axisus said:

this, it's difficult to judge the guy, I'm not sure I'd be willing to put my life on the line for what is a job. 

From what I read he was the police liaison officer in the school.  He'd been there since 2009.  It looks like more of a community role than a security role.

this I didn't know, but it may explain why he didn't act. He was hardly a highly trained close protection officer. And as FX munkee says, it does show that just having armed people there won't necessarily stop an attack. 

And this is an immediate example of exactly the kind of personal/public dilemma which would occur if they armed teachers.

This is a cop and he didn't know what to do.  How much worse for a teacher?  They train, qualify and get a job in order to teach, not to be a security guard, judge and possible executioner.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    OK, I hold my hand up, the word 'cowardly' was wrong to use. Apologies to the guy and I am attempting to kick myself up the arse as we speak. Having said that, if I had a gun and knew how to use it I'm pretty sure that I'd want to try and protect kids in a school. I guess we don't truly know how we would react unless we are in a situation
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    underdog said:
    Neil said:
    It's a foreign country.

They like guns.

What about hand wringing from Americans? Or even Americans who survived the attack last week?
    If there's enough hand wringing in the USA and people desert the NRA in protest then maybe some things will change. 

I have American relatives and spend a fair amount of time there every year and although everybody is appalled when massacres like this happen I really think that many people have become hardened/callous to this stuff over time and just carry on rather like the British public did at the height of the IRA mainland bombing campaign.

It probably won't happen to you or your loved ones but it is always lurking in the background. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    edited February 2018
    It will change eventually.  The demographic of the NRA membership is predominantly middle aged and old white men.  Give it 25 years and large numbers of them will have died off.  Hopefully something happens sooner than that though.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    crunchman said:
    It will change eventually.  The demographic of the NRA membership is predominantly middle aged and old white men.  Give it 25 years and large numbers of them will have died off.  Hopefully something happens sooner than that though.
    I was passing through Brescia a while back and was the only guest that night in the hotel who wasn't an American arms dealer or NRA rep. 

It certainly looked pretty much like SAGA holiday coachload, except the clothes were even worse. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    crunchman said:
    It is certainly something to hope for although TBH I see a lot of youngsters and women involved too. 

Women I guess possibly feel more vulnerable and purse guns are very popular, but of course they are not assault rifles.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1318
    If the guy had been provided with a firearm, and his responsibility includes protection of students and teachers from attacks with weapons, then he has a duty.
    Put it this way, he will spend the rest of his life living with the choices he made in those moments and I do not think he will be proud.
    I'm not saying he should have charged in and got himself killed, but he should have done something and had his own children been in there, I doubt he would have stayed outside like that.

The fact that we are having this debate is just proof that it's so incredibly messed up.  I feel very sorry for kids that grow up in that atmosphere, and the way the US constitution is used in an almost biblical way is quite ridiculous.  The fact that you are quoting an amendment shows that it is not set in stone.  It should be based on the way Americans want to live their lives today.  People understand the consequences of getting rid of as many guns as possible.  If they want to do it, let them do it!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9743
    I see the NRA is now, true to form, accusing gun control advocates of exploiting the Parkland school tragedy. This, and Trump singing to the NRA's tune unfortunately means that, probably, nothing will really change.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • HAL9000 said:
    I see the NRA is now, true to form, accusing gun control advocates of exploiting the Parkland school tragedy. This, and Trump singing to the NRA's tune unfortunately means that, probably, nothing will really change.
    Which, I think, is part of the reason that Rubio has done a sudden about-face and is totally in favour of more gun control. I spy a presidential run in a couple of years' time.
    <space for hire>
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27256
    edited February 2018
    HAL9000 said:
    Which, I think, is part of the reason that Rubio has done a sudden about-face and is totally in favour of more gun control. I spy a presidential run in a couple of years' time.
    Absolutely this. Rubio is effectively positioning himself as "the only Republican who wants to save the kids", which could be very powerful if Trump and/or the GOP decides not to go for 2 terms of the current regime. 

Surely the "won't somebody PLEASE think of the children" brigade can be as noisy as the "we love our guns" brigade?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    HAL9000 said:
    I see the NRA is now, true to form, accusing gun control advocates of exploiting the Parkland school tragedy.
    I find the irony simultaneously hilarious and unfathomably depressing.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    HAL9000 said:

...This, and Trump singing to the NRA's tune...
    Singing to their tune? He's more like their poodle.  (He has the hair already.)