Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I don't often use my AxeFX at home so don't really have a need for 2 different setups per patch. I think once I get them set up at a band practice I should be good. Even if I do find that I need slightly different settings I think it's a small price to pay for the better sound and feel.  Like I said, I'm a Marshall guy, so some marshall flavour from the poweramp isn't a bad thing for me.

As for the live/practice difference, I actually gig at the same volume I practice at  :)  (Loud drummer and small practice room) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited September 2013
    Is the Marshall loud enough?
    I've had the Mesa 20/20 before myself and it definitely didn't have enough clean headroom to cut it for me.

I'm thinking of going back to a tube power amp- probably a Engl E840 though.
    That's a good question. I've gigged with my Orange Dark Terror before and that's 15w, also gigged a Jet City JCA20H which is 20w and both were fine. Remember I don't need crystal cleans, the cleanest I get is a crunchy AC30 patch. Also since it's 20w a side, and I have to use both sides, I expect it to be louder then the others.

Since I HAVE to use both channels I was considering trying a stereo setup but not sure it's worth the effort since it's all coming from a single cab.

The Fryette 1u could be interesting depending on price, I really didn't want to go to a 2u Valve power amp.

One thing I did like about the Marshall 20/20 is the presence control on the power amp, makes it nice and easy to make a change to impact all patches. The one patch I have done so far is setup with the power amp presence at noon so I can raise or lower it as required. 
    I wouldn't buy a Fryette right now. Storm shadow have stopped bringing them in, citing reliability & customer service issues from Fryette.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Curious, what's your reasons for wanting to go back to a tube Poweramp? I thought you were happy with the Matrix (where I've always thought it lacked something)

Si_ said:
    Curious, what's your reasons for wanting to go back to a tube Poweramp? I thought you were happy with the Matrix (where I've always thought it lacked something)

I have had shoulder problems and I was using a SS power amp to save on weight. I had my second op 3 months ago and I'm fine now so I can get back to lugging more weight. I'm not saying the Matrix isn't great for what it is but I prefer tubes and guitar speakers to SS and FRFR. I mostly gig with a tube amp these days - my CAE.
    Ok, 8 patches re-done and setup for the new power amp, fingers crossed (2 weeks until next band practice).

• Good luck, buddy.
    Still not tried it at volume but the Matrix amp is out of my rack now and up for sale.. anyone want it :)
  • I don't want to sound a like a nervous Neddy, but wouldn't it be handy to to keep it just in case your new machine piles in live?
    Na.....
  • Si, I like you.  You remind me of me, I'm a risk taker. You're going all the way.
    LOL..

I get bored of stuff and sell it so fast, keeping spares is for cowards.... 

(Saying that, I always take my Dark terror with me to gigs just in case)

Grr..

I'm all set to trade the AxeFX for a sweet Mesa Mark V Head and a load of boutique pedals, dal is done in theory and the guy is well up for it.. 

Then typically, I played a gig last night using my Marshall 20/20 power amp and it sounded great!.. I had 3 random people come up to me during the interval asking about the rig and commenting on how great it sounded (it's s Muso's pub so it's good comments coming from them).

Not sure what to do now...
  • Follow your heart, and get it all. Does this help?
    edited September 2013
    Si_ said:
    Grr..

I'm all set to trade the AxeFX for a sweet Mesa Mark V Head and a load of boutique pedals, dal is done in theory and the guy is well up for it.. 

Then typically, I played a gig last night using my Marshall 20/20 power amp and it sounded great!.. I had 3 random people come up to me during the interval asking about the rig and commenting on how great it sounded (it's s Muso's pub so it's good comments coming from them).

Not sure what to do now...
    That is just how it is when gigging.
    The venue acoustics, the relative levels of the other instruments, the number of people in the room all matter and they are all outside your control.

I wouldn't let one positive or negative gig sway me either way from doing what I wanted but also I wouldn't completely ignore it either.

The reality is you will be dealing with the same issues if you bought a Mesa or any other hardware amp.
    You will have some good gigs, some bad gigs.
    That is just how it is.

You may be ready for a change but it is entirely possible that in a few months after getting the Mark V and the pedals you will be back here looking for more elegant switching solutions. Maybe add an RJM switcher and a midi control pedal, or a Gigrig controller.
    Maybe then looking at rackmounting pedals and all that entails?
    Then you come back full circle to a rack and you are shopping for an Axe FX rig again.

Why not look at finding a cheaper 2 channel head- maybe an Egnater or 5150- something you can get without having to completely sell the Axe FX rig?
    Add a few pedals to it and run both rigs in tandem, using what you want when you want?

I have a bunch of rigs here (nice for some, I know) and I pick whatever I need or want for the project.
    It feels like a luxury but it honestly doesn't cost any more than constantly swapping rigs all the time- which is the least efficient and most expensive way to do it.

I've been where you are with amps- I was constantly swapping from rack to amp all through the 90's.
    I had a full Triaxis rig, then a Dual Rec, then a Triaxis, then a Mark IV, then to a rackmounted Dual Rec.
    The money I spent on those rigs was more than buying two setups outright, I am absolutely sure.

Just my 2c- YMMV of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rack mounting pedals, been there and done that, and got the photos and the RJM Effects Gizmo to prove it. It is what made me go axe-fx. After a while i couldn't see the benefit of having a 1U multi FX, 2u tray for pedals, 1u switcher and an amp head when the Axe-fx could do it for me, and be lighter, even with a 1.5kW power amp.

I really did enjoy my pedals, but compared to the AF2, they're kinda redundant.
    I think the difference has been the switch to a Valve power ampand the re-doing of all of my patches. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Btw, I'm glad you are getting where you want to be, especially if you're impressing musos,(aka critics) with your sound.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    octatonic said:
    I wouldn't buy a Fryette right now. Storm shadow have stopped bringing them in, citing reliability & customer service issues from Fryette.
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

That is actually FUCKING hilarious!!