Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• I was joking.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ha! :-j
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    Yeah totally. I'm not much of a tweaker really. I get some good sounds and I pretty much stick with them. I'm more concerned with workflow and ergonomics than I am with versatility. If I had a board that switched my amp via midi, didn't have gaps between patch changes, did a slow phaser, a fast phaser, a flanger, a reverse delay, a regular digital delay (tap tempo not causing pitch changes in either), a hall reverb, had a manual mode and a big bright screen... I'd be like a pig in shit!

But as fucking MADDENING as it is... it doesn't exist!!
    That’s pretty much why I bought a Marshall JMD501. It kind of does everything you said and it sounds good (I know people diss it because it’s partly digital etc but the reality is that for most practical gigging purposes it sounds plenty good enough) and isn’t stupidly complicated. My problem with it is that it is too heavy to be officially ‘convenient’. At least for me.
  • @Si_, Have you read this thread recently?
  • How does midi work? Does it just hook up normal stomps and switch them in and out under presets that you configure? So in one press, you can switch off a delay and reverb, switch on a drive and chorus and change amp channel?

If so, I want one. Bet they're expensive.
    @Si_, Have you read this thread recently?
  • @Si_, are you a motivational speaker?
  • ThePrettyDamned;213467" said:
    How does midi work? Does it just hook up normal stomps and switch them in and out under presets that you configure? So in one press, you can switch off a delay and reverb, switch on a drive and chorus and change amp channel?

If so, I want one. Bet they're expensive.
    ----------------------------------------------------

To answer your questions,

It can do those things you were asking of it, that's how I used to use it.

What do you call expensive?
    Maybe I should be :)

Situations change, lack of bands means less live play more home play. Imminent relocation (to a whole new country) also means no bands for a while and maybe being in an apartment rather than a house so again, the AxeFX suits that.  No plans to go valve free, but defiantly going for a 4CM setup this time.

• I'm finding my AF2 setup very handy at the moment. For the next 12 weeks I'm living like Alan Partridge in hotels, my AF2 has kept me occupied, and prevented me from dismantling the Corby trouser press.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Si_ said:
    Maybe I should be :)

Situations change, lack of bands means less live play more home play. Imminent relocation (to a whole new country) also means no bands for a while and maybe being in an apartment rather than a house so again, the AxeFX suits that.  No plans to go valve free, but defiantly going for a 4CM setup this time.

If you are only playing at home then you might find it better to use the AFX with some powered studio monitors.
    You don't have to spend a fortune to get something decent- it will sound good (or even great), be much quieter and maintenance free.

I have some Dynaudio's in the studio- you don't have to spend that sort of money- any £500/pair powered monitors will do the job.
    I would use a small mixer or monitor controller though unless the monitors have some sort of level control on them- many of them don't.
    edited April 2014
    Yea, already been looking into studio monitors so any advice appreciated.  Wasn't looking to spend that much, was thinking more like £200-300. 

I was looking at the Tannoy Reveal series..
    edited April 2014
    At the moment one of the best deals is on the Mackie MR8mkII.

You need two of them but for just over £300 you are getting a lot of monitor(s).
    I wouldn't want to do a pro mix on them as they are a bit bass heavy (which translates to a bass light mix) but for guitar tones and general docking around you will struggle to find much better under £350.

Otherwise, KRK Rokit RP6 are good, so is the Genelec 6010B.
    Be aware that most monitors are sold singly these days (as many people go 5:1) so be careful if you find a cheap price for a monitor that is around half of what a pair of them costs- it will usual bye the price for a single monitor.

I don't like the Tannoy's at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited April 2014
    I can vouch for KRK's. The RP6's and RP8's are pretty good.

I have Tannoy's at home. They're perfectly servicable. Mine have gotta be at least 15 years old now. I bought them when I was 17, and I've learned their sound - which is why I'm hesistant to change. But if I did, it would be KRK's.

Genelecs are BAAAASSSSSSYYYYYY ... good for listening to music. Shit for mixing on.
    edited April 2014
    Yes, I tried to tailor the recommendations for guitar stuff.
    For mixing I'd go with various Dynaudio Air's, Focal's, Barefoot, Quested- but they are all a lot more money.

Have you tried the Barefoot Micromain?
    Man alive they are terrific speakers.

Focal SM9 too.
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    KRK RPG2 6's in my studio. Can't fault them. They are the perfect size for a home setup.
    The 5's haven't quite got the oomph when/if it's needed and the 8's stretch the budget a bit too much (mine anyway). They're all great as said above but the 6's are ideal.

I considered getting the matching 10" sub but the look on my wife's face when I mentioned was enough to put an end to that thought...no need for it in a small house anyways.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    I considered getting the matching 10" sub but the look on my wife's face when I mentioned was enough to put an end to that thought...no need for it in a small house anyways.
    A sub is a great idea.
    I mix at home in 2:1 with a sub- in a small studio you won't hear much under 80hz.
    Mixing without the sub I don't hear the low frequencies and the mixes end up overly loud and uneven in the bottom end.
  • KRKs are decent even though they get bashed a lot on many recording forums.  I've had RP5 and RP6 G2s - they're pretty common on the used market and not too expensive.  I stupidly sold my RP6s to a friend to buy the new Yamaha HS8s late last year, but after using the HS8s for a few months I don't actually like them as much.  I'm just used to the KRK sound, even though they appear to have less clarity than the Yamahas they aren't anywhere near as harsh.  I find myself mixing dull and boring sounding guitars on the HS8s otherwise I just feel uncomfortable with how harsh stuff sounds.

For pure listening enjoyment I'd personally take the KRKs over Yamahas.
    Well, AxeFx is Shipped and will be here next Wednesday so starting to think about setup. 

Patches V Scenes.. what are the pros and cons?