Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited August 2014
    Well... another rehearsal, another bout of displeasure. This time into the effects return of my D-Moll. It sounded good... but not great. D-Moll absolutely CAINS it.

What are the second hand prices for Axe FX II MKI's like?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I got a fair price for mine on here, and there still in demand. I'm still getting emails asking to buy it even now.
    Withdrawn my for sale thread. Going to give it more time, and if not for live... just keep it for recording. My recordings just sound fantastic with it, why spoil a good thing?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Swap you for a fuzz pedal.

Go on.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nah mate ;)
    Added bass to that previous moodboard:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/na8yuv3xkjqcovs/Modulus_Bass2.mp3
    Realistically... if I get a tube poweramp, how different is it going to be to plugging into the effects loop return of a guitar amplifier? Also... this Carlsbro 60's PA valve head I have... how different is that going to be from a modern tube power amp?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26623
    edited August 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    Realistically... if I get a tube poweramp, how different is it going to be to plugging into the effects loop return of a guitar amplifier? Also... this Carlsbro 60's PA valve head I have... how different is that going to be from a modern tube power amp?
    Valve power amps do tend to stay cleaner for longer, I think - so you effectively get more volume than from an equivalent head; I know my Marshall 20/20 got way louder than my Jet City 50W before it started to break up. Also, you get stereo, which I'm pretty sure you can do interesting things with on the AxeFX. I believe Clarky has some tricks for really expanding the sound, even if you're running both sides into each half of a single 4x12".
    <space for hire>
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Drew_fx said:
    Nah mate ;)
    Like with Nick McCabe's 4x12 Mesa I'm tempted to try and buy this Axe FX just because it belonged to Drew.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Drew_fx said:
    Withdrawn my for sale thread. Going to give it more time, and if not for live... just keep it for recording. My recordings just sound fantastic with it, why spoil a good thing?!
    couple of thoughts re keeping it…

the Axe with the 8008 works.. ok so it's not a real Diezel but it ain't bad..
    I reckon a pair of 4x12's helps hit the spot… but that's a whole different chat..

what you do have with the Axe / 8008 is..
    - awesome recording rig for guitar and bass
    - flight friendly rig if you get all famous and need to play overseas / tour
    - a pretty fkn good backup rig in the unlikely, but fkn scary event that the D-Mol throughs a hissy fit

you win.. and win.. and in a quality way too… but you never lose.. 
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm still not understanding how the VS can be louder than the Matrix. It is still bugging me lol. I get that tube amp watts = more, but not how 80 s/s Marshall watts beat 500 Matrix s/s watts.
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    I'm still not understanding how the VS can be louder than the Matrix. It is still bugging me lol. I get that tube amp watts = more, but not how 80 s/s Marshall watts beat 500 Matrix s/s watts.

Speaker Ohms?
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited August 2014
    matt1973 said:
    I'm still not understanding how the VS can be louder than the Matrix. It is still bugging me lol. I get that tube amp watts = more, but not how 80 s/s Marshall watts beat 500 Matrix s/s watts.

Speaker Ohms?

I thought that @Clarky used Marshall 1960Bs in 4 ohm, would give the full 500 watts to the Matrix?
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Yes it would. If they're loaded with T75s you'd be in blow-up territory in fact,
  • I think you'd go deaf first! Past 12:00 my GT1000FX gets super loud, and I'm going into an 8 ohm cab.
    matt1973 said:

Speaker Ohms?

I thought that @Clarky used Marshall 1960Bs in 4 ohm, would give the full 500 watts to the Matrix?
    this is true..
    I think that Matrix rate their amps accurately and Marshall rate the 8008 at a sort of "think of it as an 80W / chan valve power amp"..

a 500W Matrix channel is said to be [by Matrix] roughly the equivalent of a 120W to 130W valve power amp channel.
    which is of course still more than the 8008..
    but then even in the valve would, no two power amps of the same power rating are the same..
    and the 8008 has a reputation for being notoriously loud..
    I think you'd go deaf first! Past 12:00 my GT1000FX gets super loud, and I'm going into an 8 ohm cab.
    yup… I have one… they ain't exactly.. erm.. 'gentle'.. lmao
    I've just started playing with CabLab in a big way…

holy fk ! ! what a superb tool...
    Trying to decide whether to pickup a Matrix GT1600 or go and get a valve poweramp to mess around with. This weekend is experimentation time!

I'm really loving the Bogner Euro Red Modern at the moment. That's what you're hearing in that Modulus clip.

a lil' note matey.. the GT1600FX will sound exactly the same as the GT1000FX.. it'll just be louder.. that is the only difference..

I'm not saying that the GT1600FX is / is not the right unit for you.. but tone wise, you've essentially heard it when you was noodling with my GT1000FX.. they have the same 'voicing' and feel.. which as we discovered was pretty close to the 8008 in Linear mode..