The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• PJHPJH Frets: 25
    I had a great response to my previous video showing the comparison between my Marshall/Super Crunch Box combination and the captured Kemper profile.

There was a very slight difference between the two so I decided to try another pedal/amp combination and see if I could get them even closer. I used my JCM2000 TSL and the MI Audio Megalith Delta Hi Gain pedal this time and I can say that I’m really happy with the result.

The clip switches randomly between the Kemper profile and the amp/pedal recording.

In fact the two tones are so close that I had to go back and check a few times to see that I had selected the correct recordings.

I also added solo guitar lines instead of just playing basic riffs to see if I’d hear any difference in the single notes but there was also hardly any way of choosing between the two.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    Great videos.  I've been a Kemper owner for about 4 years now, I've used it live as well as in the studio.

I'm of the opinion that the Kemper sound is pretty much indistinguishable from a mic'd amp as far as the listener is concerned.  That leaves 'feel' and the sound of the 'amp in the room' and I'm also pretty much convinced that these two factors are closely linked.  If you have the real amp in the live room but you play from the control room listening to the mic'd sound - do you perceive any difference in 'feel'?  I suspect not.

I'm more than happy to live without that 'amp in the room sound'.  I use in ears because amp in the room = ringing in the ears.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited May 2019
    Musicwolf said:
    Great videos.  I've been a Kemper owner for about 4 years now, I've used it live as well as in the studio.

I'm of the opinion that the Kemper sound is pretty much indistinguishable from a mic'd amp as far as the listener is concerned.  That leaves 'feel' and the sound of the 'amp in the room' and I'm also pretty much convinced that these two factors are closely linked.  If you have the real amp in the live room but you play from the control room listening to the mic'd sound - do you perceive any difference in 'feel'?  I suspect not.

I'm more than happy to live without that 'amp in the room sound'.  I use in ears because amp in the room = ringing in the ears.
    This is the USP of the Kemper in my opinion, when you are recording 'what you hear is what you get', and you can track anywhere with the minimum of fuss. It really is a genius piece of gear the way I use it.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2412
    Gig with the RedSound cabs went very well - they're chuffing loud! Uploaded a sneak peek video in the RedSound thread.
  • Hi all, been going through various profiles I have and I've got a bunch I made myself of an Orange Rockerverb, Mesa Roadster and a new one of the Marshall JVM. Includes some DI profiles. It's a bit of a mixed bag but thought some people on here may be interested. Will possibly upload them to Rig Exchange in the future.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uLvmv5X_OhrE1GLCXJ6kJfeuwJGB1TA_
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers mate!

One thing I've discovered lately - setting the hi-cut to about 5500kHz. Celestion speakers only have a max frequency of 5000kHz; doing this seems to make things a bit more alive and much easier to listen to.

(Apart from my god-awful playing).
    edited June 2019
    It's officially summer, so something should be dropping before the autumn!  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Out of interest, what settings does everyone have for delay and reverb when playing rhythm and then going into a solo?
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    I no longer use the Kemper live (Kemper studio / Helix live - 'cos I can) but whichever system I go with I like to use the expression pedal to switch between sounds where ever possible.  This started because I was also trying to sing whilst playing and I didn't want to be looking down at the floor at the same time.

For the Kemper I had a Boss FV-500H set up as a 'morph' pedal (other expression pedals are available).  I'd set up my delay & reverb then toe up = rhythm (wind the delay mix down, usually to zero) - press save.  Toe down = lead (wind up delay level / reduce reverb to taste, wind up volume, probably boost the mids and often drop the gain a little) - press save again.

As long as you are not trying to change amp profiles you can change any parameter this way (as long as the effects are turned on).  Sometimes you can hear background artifacts going on as you move the expression but you really can't notice live (well, the audience can't).
    Musicwolf said:
    I no longer use the Kemper live (Kemper studio / Helix live - 'cos I can) but whichever system I go with I like to use the expression pedal to switch between sounds where ever possible.  This started because I was also trying to sing whilst playing and I didn't want to be looking down at the floor at the same time.

For the Kemper I had a Boss FV-500H set up as a 'morph' pedal (other expression pedals are available).  I'd set up my delay & reverb then toe up = rhythm (wind the delay mix down, usually to zero) - press save.  Toe down = lead (wind up delay level / reduce reverb to taste, wind up volume, probably boost the mids and often drop the gain a little) - press save again.

As long as you are not trying to change amp profiles you can change any parameter this way (as long as the effects are turned on).  Sometimes you can hear background artifacts going on as you move the expression but you really can't notice live (well, the audience can't).
    That's what I do; use a morph pedal to increase delay and reverb mix. I was more interested in the specific delay and reverb types and settings people were using, as mine sounds a bit 'sterile' somehow.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Just got an email from Tone Junkie - some free Princeton Profiles
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    New Kemper floor unit coming...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpCbk7guLPY
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Game changed.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Wow then 
    edited July 2019
    Game changed.
    Welcome back to Kemper-land 
  • Freebird said:
    Game changed.
    Ha, not likely, I'm afraid. The toaster was the best format for my needs. But this is very cool and if I was playing live it'd be a no brainer. Thankfully, my gas fund is safe, because I'm not!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    So considering there hasn't been an announcement. What y'all reckon this is in the shops before 2022?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I gave up and went back to amps
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    edited July 2019
    sgosden said:
    So considering there hasn't been an announcement. What y'all reckon this is in the shops before 2022?
    Official announcement Monday 24th, and looks like stock's ready to go to the stores:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0I7jBhi5Fx/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
    edited July 2019
    Freebird said:
    Game changed.
    Ha, not likely, I'm afraid. The toaster was the best format for my needs. But this is very cool and if I was playing live it'd be a no brainer. Thankfully, my gas fund is safe, because I'm not!
    I just curious since you have tried both, but can you tell the difference between the Kemper and a digital recording of a real mic'd amp in the room?