The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    You have other options.

A Helix, Fractal AX8 if you need a floor unit.
    A Kemper rack or head if you absolutely need a Kemper.
    I have a feeling that Fractal may have stopped updating everything besides the Axe-Fx3 & FM3.
    Is that a problem though, if the platform is stable and everything works?

One criticism I have with Fractal is the constant updates- I'm usually 3-4 software releases behind what is current and I've only just updated from the AFX2 to the 3.
    Haven't updated the FX8 in yonks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a Stage in my shopping cart and now I’m thinking of a Helix I don’t do well with shit customer service or arrogance. All very worrying.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited August 2019
    octatonic said:
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    You have other options.

I have a feeling that Fractal may have stopped updating everything besides the Axe-Fx3 & FM3.

One criticism I have with Fractal is the constant updates- I'm usually 3-4 software releases behind what is current and I've only just updated from the AFX2 to the 3.
    The FX8 hasn't been updated in over 2 years. There were promises, but they never materialised, which translates to the MkII only being supported for a few months before it was abandoned. None of the drive block improvements were ported over, amongst other things. It feels like a game of Russian Roulette when you deal with these small companies, as you never know what to expect.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    You have other options.

The FX8 hasn't been updated in over 2 years. There were promises, but they never materialised, which translates to the MkII only being supported for a few months before it was abandoned. None of the drive block improvements were ported over, amongst other things.
    Yes I know- I own one.

Honestly, it isn't a problem for me- it works for what I use it for, which is in combination with a high gain amp, but the Riot pedal sounds killer too into a clean amp.
    It sounds great, never crashes and can channel switch the amps.
    edited August 2019
    octatonic said:
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    You have other options.

The FX8 hasn't been updated in over 2 years. There were promises, but they never materialised, which translates to the MkII only being supported for a few months before it was abandoned. None of the drive block improvements were ported over, amongst other things.
    Yes I know- I own one.

Honestly, it isn't a problem for me- it works for what I use it for, which is in combination with a high gain amp, but the Riot pedal sounds killer too into a clean amp.
    I'm not saying it's not good, but if you promise to do something, then you should do it and not stick two fingers up to the customer. It sounds like they couldn't be arsed to do it, and decided it would be easier to kill the product line, and just focus on the new $$$$ stuff. At least Kemper still support their legacy products.

However, they both operate like cults, which pisses a lot of people off!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    You have other options.

Yes I know- I own one.

I'm not saying it's not good, but if you promise to do something, then you should do it and not stick two fingers up to the customer. It sounds like they couldn't be arsed to do it, and decided it would be easier to kill the product line, and just focus on the new $$$ stuff. At least Kemper still support their legacy products.
    Well their legacy products are still their current products so they’d look pretty daft if they stopped supporting them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    simonk said:
    Well their legacy products are still their current products so they’d look pretty daft if they stopped supporting them.
    The FX8 has definitely reached the end of road, due to a new software development framework implemented in the Axe-Fx3 & FM3. The owner advised that anybody wanting future updates should just buy the new models, as they are going to be really great
    Freebird said:
    simonk said:
    The FX8 has definitely reached the end of road, due to a new new software development framework I plemented in the Axe-Fx3 & FM3, so just buy the new ones if you want any future updates  ;)
    I was talking about Kemper...as were you above.
  • Sometimes if you want to do the next big thing you need to forget legacy support. It happens. It's why valve amps will always reign, imho. They're simple and eternal.  ;)

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    I'm not saying it's not good, but if you promise to do something, then you should do it and not stick two fingers up to the customer. It sounds like they couldn't be arsed to do it, and decided it would be easier to kill the product line, and just focus on the new $$$$ stuff. At least Kemper still support their legacy products.

However, they both operate like cults, which pisses a lot of people off!
    It could be a lot worse and I'm not sure I'd say they are 'cults'.

It might be true Fractal aren't developing new software for their legacy products but most companies don't- Line 6 don't release software updates for their legacy products either and Kemper don't have any legacy products, but Access do (the synth arm of the same company) and they don't develop for legacy products either.

At least the drivers and Axe/FX Edit still work with current operating systems.
    Some manufacturers completely drop support when they drop the product.

I agree that Cliff sometimes says he will do things that don't end up happening.
    It is annoying but it isn't a reason to hold a grudge.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10226
    simonk said:
    Yea. There was a post on TGP, and the creator was talking about how the type of coding he does means that even though it's much, much more time consuming, it's much more efficient, so while other products need to update to add new things due to increasing processor demands, they don't have to do that, so they can support the products for much longer. The cost of producing them goes down and they can keep a similar price. Good business model really.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/kemper-profiler-stage.2064059/page-15#post-28917908
    edited August 2019
    octatonic said:
    It could be a lot worse and I'm not sure I'd say they are 'cults'.

It might be true Fractal aren't developing new software for their legacy products but most companies don't- Line 6 don't release software updates for their legacy products either and Kemper don't have any legacy products, but Access do (the synth arm of the same company) and they don't develop for legacy products either.

At least the drivers and Axe/FX Edit still work with current operating systems.
    Some manufacturers completely drop support when they drop the product.

I agree that Cliff sometimes say he will do things that don't end up happening.
    It is annoying but it isn't a reason to hold a grudge.
    I don't hold a grudge, I just don't think promising updates for two two years and then failing to deliver them is the best way to enhance a brand.
    simonk said:
    Freebird said:
    simonk said:
    The FX8 has definitely reached the end of road, due to a new new software development framework I plemented in the Axe-Fx3 & FM3, so just buy the new ones if you want any future updates  ;)
    I was talking about Kemper...as were you above.
    I see that now, but on balance I think Kemper is the better company, even if they are a bit "European" in outlook  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    BTW as I previously mentioned above, most of the Kemper engineers are/were on their summer break, hence the delay of the Kemper Editor software, and possibly the reason for the slow email responses and lack of trouble shooting progress regarding the Stage.
    Freebird said:
    BTW as I previously mentioned above, most of the Kemper engineers are/were on their summer break, hence the delay of the Kemper Editor software, and possibly the reason for the slow email response and lack of trouble shooting progress regarding the Stage.
    Sounds like a bang tidy time to ship a shiny new product then...! Rolls eyes.
    edited August 2019
    Freebird said:
    BTW as I previously mentioned above, most of the Kemper engineers are/were on their summer break, hence the delay of the Kemper Editor software, and possibly the reason for the slow email responses and lack of trouble shooting progress regarding the Stage.
    Not the one who was in contact with me until a few days ago, and still wasn't when considering the posts that were made on the forum by said person after I emailed them.

Reminds me of Brexit.

Government: 'We've set a date for exit. 31st Oct we have to have a deal by then!'
    MP's 'Okay, we've got lots to do'
    Govenment 'Yea, lots to do!'
    MP's 'Shall we have an Autumn recess???'
    Government 'Sure, how long?'
    MP's '5 weeks???'
    Government 'Perfect'

Umm....
    edited August 2019
    Not the one who was in contact with me until a few days ago, and still wasn't when considering the posts that were made on the forum by said person after I emailed them.

Reminds me of Brexit.

Government: 'We've set a date for exit. 31st Oct we have to have a deal by then!'
    MP's '5 weeks???'
    Government 'Perfect'

Umm....
    Judging by the forum feedback, do you have any idea how widespread this particular problem is?
    Freebird said:

Reminds me of Brexit.

MP's '5 weeks???'
    Government 'Perfect'

Umm....
    Judging by the forum feedback, do you have any idea how widespread this particular problem is?
    Well I know now of 5 people who have the same issue. Some may not be on the forum, and lots may not be using the Kemper in the way that means that it will be audible.

I also know that one guitar shop told me they were going to return all their stock because all of their ones were doing it after they tested a few for me.

There are quite a few posts there regarding the broken switches. And I now suspect that there is a problem with my Performance Up button as it's continually jumping between numbers when pushing it once, or not going up at all.

edited August 2019
    Well, just for the sake of it, here’s the Stage on the just delivered Ruach board I got!

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    Well, just for the sake of it, here’s the Stage on the just delivered Ruach board I got!

https://imgur.com/a/tUbwTBE

Looks great ! What size is that ?