The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1346
    edited November 2023
    Send the main outs to PA. Use the power amp output to your cabinet and set ‘monitor cab’ off in the output section. The power amp out is effectively a mono monitor output I.e the same signal as the monitor outs. You will then get the profiled cab through the PA but not through your cab.

If you use studio profiles the Kemper guesses where the amp ends and cabinet starts. If you use merged profiles the split is baked into the profile.

Hope that helps.

Si
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What’s everyone making of the liquid profiles? Is anyone using them? I’ve recently came back to the Kemper but have migrated back to my old favourite M Britt profiles and I’m perfectly happy. Am I missing out not using liquid profiles?
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1090
    edited November 2023
    Ah so use it like I would with a "traditional" amp head? Power amp output is the red speaker ring output right? Main and monitor outputs do not use the power amp from what I remember. I'm missing the "monitor cab off" as well as I pressed the cab button instead but the DI signal came out the PA which sounds horrendous. Monitor output would only be for if say, I had an IEM system or I took a feed from the FOH mix to my own mixer to monitor? Then I'd use that to go into the mixer?

Not overly bothered with what comes out the speaker cabinet, just so long as its not both the emulated cab and the actual air sound. Its literally so I can hear myself within the band in the room. I was wondering why I had to change the power amp volume to way over -6db. The power amp boost was almost maxed out and I couldn't understand why I would want almost 600w of power for a 4x12.

Thanks for clearing that up though, now to try it in the next practice without blowing up any cabs!!
  • What’s everyone making of the liquid profiles? Is anyone using them? I’ve recently came back to the Kemper but have migrated back to my old favourite M Britt profiles and I’m perfectly happy. Am I missing out not using liquid profiles?
    So far so good with them. Only had a limited amount of time but purchased Bert’s SLO and Guido’s XTC LP’s and they are killer. I don’t know if it’s psychological but I find it easier to tweak when gain and eq behave more like the amp would..

Si
  • Ah so use it like I would with a "traditional" amp head? Power amp output is the red speaker ring output right? Main and monitor outputs do not use the power amp from what I remember. I'm missing the "monitor cab off" as well as I pressed the cab button instead but the DI signal came out the PA which sounds horrendous. Monitor output would only be for if say, I had an IEM system or I took a feed from the FOH mix to my own mixer to monitor? Then I'd use that to go into the mixer?

Not overly bothered with what comes out the speaker cabinet, just so long as its not both the emulated cab and the actual air sound. Its literally so I can hear myself within the band in the room. I was wondering why I had to change the power amp volume to way over -6db. The power amp boost was almost maxed out and I couldn't understand why I would want almost 600w of power for a 4x12.

Thanks for clearing that up though, now to try it in the next practice without blowing up any cabs!!
    Yes. I don’t run a powered Kemper (use powered Kabinet) but I recall it is the red output from the power amp from the manual.

The monitor outs are useful if, for example, you run a powered monitor or FRFR cab in which case you want the monitor cab to be ‘on’ so that you get the mic, speaker cab etc in the output.

Si

• Ah so use it like I would with a "traditional" amp head? Power amp output is the red speaker ring output right? Main and monitor outputs do not use the power amp from what I remember. I'm missing the "monitor cab off" as well as I pressed the cab button instead but the DI signal came out the PA which sounds horrendous. Monitor output would only be for if say, I had an IEM system or I took a feed from the FOH mix to my own mixer to monitor? Then I'd use that to go into the mixer?

Yes. I don’t run a powered Kemper (use powered Kabinet) but I recall it is the red output from the power amp from the manual.

The monitor outs are useful if, for example, you run a powered monitor or FRFR cab in which case you want the monitor cab to be ‘on’ so that you get the mic, speaker cab etc in the output.

Si

Ok cool, will have to wait til next week to try again with the loud drummer and a 4x12! Surprised how the monitor output at line level gave me a decent amount of volume on my 1x12 at home though. But the differences are quite big between home playing and in the rehearsal room!

One scenario I may need to possibly use the monitor output could be at the show I ask the sound guy to send a FOH mix feed to me into my own mixer, to hear my Kemper I can run a monitor out into a channel and mix it? That's more of an appropriate use right cos there'd be no speaker cabs on stage (hopefully, anyway if this works).
  • Argghh 1 gig with the Profiler and already the clip on the remote cable going into the network port has broken! Someone must have kicked the cable and it yanked it out breaking the clip. Now the cable doesn't hold in place securely meaning the remote powers off.

I ordered one of these replacement clip things to temporarily fix it, do they work?

RJCLIP
  • Recently picked up a rack and thrilled with it! Can anyonepoint mein the direction of a good SLO100 profile (Im looking to do the lower gain Warren Haynes thing on it). Living on the Malmsteen preset atm lol
    Cheers!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Recently picked up a rack and thrilled with it! Can anyonepoint mein the direction of a good SLO100 profile (Im looking to do the lower gain Warren Haynes thing on it). Living on the Malmsteen preset atm lol
    Cheers!
    https://bertmeulendijk.com/home/product/slo-liquidprofiles/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Argghh 1 gig with the Profiler and already the clip on the remote cable going into the network port has broken! Someone must have kicked the cable and it yanked it out breaking the clip. Now the cable doesn't hold in place securely meaning the remote powers off.

I ordered one of these replacement clip things to temporarily fix it, do they work?

RJCLIP
    I have a complete cable for the remote that I bought as a spare before I changed to the Kemper Stage.

You can have it for postage cost if you want it..

Si

RJCLIP
    I have a complete cable for the remote that I bought as a spare before I changed to the Kemper Stage.

You can have it for postage cost if you want it..

Si
    Thanks but I'm gonna try to save the existing cable first, as the original clips are very flimsy and will probably break again within 1 month!!

I wish'd Kemper thought to make the connection side on the back of the unit an ethercon connection too, much more solid.
    There's a company in the US that do a mod that moves the network port to the right hand side and installs an ethercon port (same connection that goes into the remote). I'd prefer that but its £250 for the mod and fuck knows how much to ship to Nashville.
  • Tone Junkie have an 80% off deal right now. Worth picking up the everything pack for $40. Bargain! (I have no affiliation except that my name is also Jonathan).
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Tone Junkie have an 80% off deal right now. Worth picking up the everything pack for $40. Bargain! (I have no affiliation except that my name is also Jonathan).
    I’ve purchased a few of their packs in the last few days as I’ve had multiple flash sales come through on email. If you are quick enough you can get packs for free, I’m never that quick though so the best I’ve done is 90% off. The packs are very hit and miss for me. Some of them are okay but not a patch on M Britts packs.
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 403
    Same here, TJ's stuff is just ok. Buying shitloads of stuff because it is cheaper than the full price is often false economy, imho.

I'd rather get something specific I'm after from someone that stands out.
  • Shan’t bother again. 

;-)

However, I must disagree on both counts, I think TJ’s stuff is the best out there for my particular tastes and variety and choice are luxuries that I particularly enjoy!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Been tempted by STLtones Andrew Wade pack for high gain type tones, 50% off but for 78 Profiles I might only like 2-3 of them, the rest I'll just toss away.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1090
    edited November 2023
    Managed to nab a couple of profiles off a member from a FB Group. 5150/Mesa and Bogner amps all into a Marshall 1970's cab. They sound pretty cool, though I probably wouldn't have paid $50 for 78 of them. Very dark sounding though, presumably cos of the Marshall cab. Usually I like V30's but it might make it too fizzy in a band mix. I think these STL ones are mixed so it sits in a band setting nicely.

Also I've never actually found a clean profile that I like from the stock ones. I like the generic Fender amps, Twin, Deluxe, Reverb, Black face etc but none on there sound that great with my strat single coils. If I turn down the gain it diminishes the tone and just makes it muddy. Not looking for anything too gainy, maybe edge of breakup but just that classic chimey clean, bell like tone. 

The TJ ones aren't really inspiring me, the Bert guy one sounds ok and I'm yet to check out the Michael Britt one. All of them do loads of profiles (like 30-50) and I really don't need that many.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2422
    When I had a Kemper, I lived on the TJ Caswell AFD profiles. They sounded GLORIOUS to me, and I've never actually been able to get that sound on my Fractal units since...
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1442
    FarleyUK said:
    When I had a Kemper, I lived on the TJ Caswell AFD profiles. They sounded GLORIOUS to me, and I've never actually been able to get that sound on my Fractal units since...
    Good heads up, I'll check them out
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 403
    I think those are from Top Jimi (https://topjimi.com/products/caswell-afd-pack), not Tone Junkie.