Clare_Bear's smiley happy thread

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Started my new driving contract on Monday. When I went into the office to report for duty I discovered that my new boss is my best friend from school that I haven't seen since 1989 !
    We lost touch when he moved away after we finished our GCSE's and as there were no mobile phones or Internet back then, that was that until Monday.
    It's been the happiest week of my working life and he is going to take me on full time before Christmas.

I honestly couldn't think of a better ending to a very difficult year.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixote;330183" said:
    My daughter was trying to talk about the microwave, but she doesn't know the word microwave yet so she called it the "dinner cupboard". 

This is both amusing and impressive :)
    That's brilliant.

When my son was very young he saw someone using a microphone on TV - same thing - he didn't know what it was called. He came up with 'spokey'.

Now he's 12 he hates being reminded of it but it just shows how great a child's desire to communicate is. Watching them grow is endlessly fascinating....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I've learned a colleague is friends with Danny Bryant.

Whilst I have Mr Bryant potentially filed as Yet Another White Bluesman, I will report after the upcoming show I have been invited to.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Gibson Flying V + Mesa Mark 4 (clean) + Way Huge Green Rhino + Maxon Fire fuzz + TC Flashback + Purple Rain solo.

Fucking hell, sounded epic if I say so myself :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Just got the first 'drafts' of our EP through, sounds great even if I do say so myself! Bit of tweaking and I'll be made up

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    edited September 2014
    Lixarto said:
     Yet Another White Bluesman
    Well, yes for the most part I am afraid so.

He can certainly play, but like almost all these chaps he doesn't fucking stop. Not all the songs need multiple endless pentatonic solos in them, you know?

Having said that, without those solos some of the songs would have been revealed as being very thin. You need to be a very talented songwriter to make your bog standard 12-bar blues interesting to the casual listener[1].

Danny would have been a good player in pre-1987 Whitesnake (like a lot of these guys, making him a sideman would probably bring the best out in him) but the couple of good songs he does have ("Just As I Am", and the exceptionally good "Master of Disaster"[2]) were worth the price of the ticket ;)

Decent night out mind :)

[1] Which is why Status Quo have had 40+ hits and SRV has had, well, none.

[2] I have belatedly found out this was written by John Hiatt - hey ho ;)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Its my birthday, and my girlfriend has made me a mixtape.
    Holy shit. I cant even. :D
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2014
    Bit tipsy, in a really great mood. Day off tomorrow, going to play lots of guitar. Oooh, and a band rehearsal tomorrow too. Sweet. :)
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    monquixote;330183" said:
    My daughter was trying to talk about the microwave, but she doesn't know the word microwave yet so she called it the "dinner cupboard". 

This is both amusing and impressive :)
    That's brilliant.

When my son was very young he saw someone using a microphone on TV - same thing - he didn't know what it was called. He came up with 'spokey'.

Now he's 12 he hates being reminded of it but it just shows how great a child's desire to communicate is. Watching them grow is endlessly fascinating....
    Awesome :D

Had a new one today. 

Bubblewrap is called "Beeps" for obvious reasons. 

The bubblewrap lined Jiffy Bags I use to ship pedals around in are called "Pedal Beeps"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15563
    just got some money for nothing. Many moons ago, a pension was taken out for me by my then employer with standard life. When they demutualised I got a handful of shares. Never thought that much about them TBH, other than once in a while a dividend chq for through the door, as I never paid into the pension. Anyways, got some bills to pay and I suddenly remembered these free shares, so thought I'd better see how much their worth (seem to recall looking a few years back and it was not a lot) but it turns out they're now worth a few quid. When the bills are settled I should be left with about £700 of me money. I was thinking of buying a shiny or two, but thought probably guitar lessons may be a better option. S'funny, but buying skills doesn't seem half as exciting as buying shinies, even though I am pretty happy with all the gear I have (and my skills are poor to the extreme).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    VimFuego;356438" said:
    just got some money for nothing. Many moons ago, a pension was taken out for me by my then employer with standard life. When they demutualised I got a handful of shares. Never thought that much about them TBH, other than once in a while a dividend chq for through the door, as I never paid into the pension. Anyways, got some bills to pay and I suddenly remembered these free shares, so thought I'd better see how much their worth (seem to recall looking a few years back and it was not a lot) but it turns out they're now worth a few quid. When the bills are settled I should be left with about £700 of me money. I was thinking of buying a shiny or two, but thought probably guitar lessons may be a better option. S'funny, but buying skills doesn't seem half as exciting as buying shinies, even though I am pretty happy with all the gear I have (and my skills are poor to the extreme).
    Always nice to get unexpected money, nice one! And yeah I'd go for shiny new stuff too. >:D<

I had a similar kind of thing happen to me. My dad and I worked for the same company at one time. When he retired he found out he was getting two pension payments. It turned out one was actually mine (we had the same initials), which I didn't even know I was entitled to. Worth a couple of hundred a month too. Noice!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited September 2014
    Plonked my Tannoy studio monitors on top of some KEF stand-mounted speakers (ideally I'd like the Tannoys on brackets or shelves on the end wall). Wired up the Quad 303 to them, got out the Yamaha AW16G workstation, wired it up to the Quad. WA HAY! Can play back recordings that were already stashed in there and they sound fine.

Next job: get the Studiomaster 16:8:2 desk wired. L/R to the Quad, start fixing up the instrument feeds to it, route the AW16G o/p to a pair of its inputs, take one of its subgroups to a pair of AW16G inputs. I'll be laughing if I can get that done before the end of today.

Note to self: those rubber things that hide wires trailing across the floor would be V V USEFUL

EDIT

The desk works :)

Don't know where the SR-16 is, and the Rhodes Stage Piano is too heavy for me to set up on my own.

Further note to self: get an in-line power switch for the 303.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I are had a fantastic week in Cornwall. Spending time with my 2 closest friends, ones wife and 2yo daughter has been brilliant.

I are has a job interview on Wednesday evening.

I did meet RocknRollDave top bloke.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

And Liverpool lost 3-1 to my beloved West Ham......... 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_l said:
    And Liverpool lost 3-1 to my beloved West Ham......... 
    As a Blue I can feel your pain at such a result ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...

Best of the result is Woody is a Liverpool "supporter" (IE, he's never been to a match, and only knows what he's read in the paper....)

No there won't be any piss-taking from me next week. Honest Guv.

• Had help with the Rhodes. The DJX is now wired in also. Still looking for the SR-16
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • vizviz Frets: 10707
    ^ whatever that means :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10707
    edited September 2014
    So it's Peace One Day today and to support it, Basement Jaxx have released an EP of Power To The People, one of the songs off their new album, Junto. The EP is made up of contributions from artists around the world. I'm absolutely delighted to say that one of my contributions is on the 1st mash-up, and the other one is included in its entirety as track 7, under the guise of 'The Jazz Basement'. Go on, buy it for 99p and donate to a worthy cause! https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10150478447974956&id=54769409955&ref=m_notif&notif_t=notify_me&actorid=54769409955
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Had help with the Rhodes. The DJX is now wired in also. Still looking for the SR-16
    See Sept 20 post :)