Damn... broke my arm.

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72361
    edited September 2018
    Rubbish. You can still play bass with that.
    You know, you weren't far wrong .

Tonight I went to band practice, and played bass! OK I cheated slightly... thanks to @JezWynd, I am now the proud owner of a Satellite 24"-scale bass. One of those 1970s Woolworth's Specials . (Full write-up in the Bass section!)

Basically, because it's so short I barely have to move my arm - I have had to adapt some of my playing to more across-the-strings than my usual habit of sliding up to higher notes, and I still can't play a low F on the bottom string properly - I have to use my thumb - but considering it's only two days over a month since I broke it and just less than four weeks since the operation, I'm really very happy.

I purposely didn't tell the band I was planning to do it in case I had a last-minute change of mind after a trial run at home this afternoon, but in the event I shouldn't have worried - I was able to play almost all the usual parts, and my arm only started to get a bit tired after over an hour.

Guitar is likely to be a much longer process, chord shapes are still really hard - but for now, that will do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Glad you're on the mend mate, keep on keeping on and all that. You'll be reet in no time.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Impressive stuff @ICBM. Good to hear that you are back on yer bike so soon....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Saw the consultant today and was signed off as fit to drive, work (with care) and play bass! - he was impressed by me measuring my progress by what notes I can play on the low E string :).

I had a look at my X-rays as well, and to my surprise I haven't got a metal plate on the ulna - the operation description had said 'coronoid fixation' which from online photos I've seen is usually done with a small plate and a couple of screws, but mine was done with an internal suture, which you can just see as two faint dark lines running up from the bottom of the bone - there's a loop of cord through there and over the top of the broken bit apparently. The really dramatic bit is the 'radial head arthroplasty', which is what looks like a trumpet mouthpiece...

This was with the staples still in the skin from the last visit, it's a bit clearer than the one they took this morning, those have gone now and it's just a quite well-healed scar on the outside.

Not bad at all considering it's less than six weeks since the surgery.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Yeah that doesn't look anything like a butt plug. :)

Glad you are the mend.
    It is boring, eh?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:

It is boring, eh?
    To my great surprise, no! The time has gone by pretty fast - frustration is the main thing, not being able to do some of the things I want to. I've been trying to do as much as possible, even if I have to adapt - I went back to work in a limited capacity three or four weeks ago, and I've been doing jobs around the house and garden - even if one of them was making tea for a team of workers I had to pay to come and do the hedges...

A lot of things do seem to take twice as long, and getting around by bus can be a bit tedious - well over an hour to do what would be a 15-20 min drive to one place I work - but actually I've been so impressed by how easy it is to get to Glasgow on the train that I might still do it occasionally anyway now, if there isn't a lot of big work to do. Not being able to carry my tools and amps is the only problem, but they have basic tools at the shop so I can do some jobs there.

I've also been able to catch up on a lot of old DVDs and downloads I've been meaning to for ages, although really that was only at the start when I was genuinely unable to move my arm much. Not having it in a cast was a huge advantage - almost as soon as it was operated on I was just down to a binding and a sling, and that went within two weeks and just left me with a bandage and the sling for outdoors to take the weight off it when walking - and I haven't needed that for over a week now.

I'm incredibly impressed by the skill and care of the doctors, as well as the technology available now - twenty or thirty years ago I think it would have been very different, and I'd probably still be in a cast. The only real problem I've got - apart from still being unable to do some arm and hand movements, and some pain - is drastic loss of strength in my left arm. It's worrying how quickly you lose the muscle if you're not using it. It will come back with time though.

• More best wishes for complete recovery :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBM said:
    Saw the consultant today and was signed off as fit to drive, work (with care) and play bass! - he was impressed by me measuring my progress by what notes I can play on the low E string :).

I had a look at my X-rays as well, and to my surprise I haven't got a metal plate on the ulna - the operation description had said 'coronoid fixation' which from online photos I've seen is usually done with a small plate and a couple of screws, but mine was done with an internal suture, which you can just see as two faint dark lines running up from the bottom of the bone - there's a loop of cord through there and over the top of the broken bit apparently. The really dramatic bit is the 'radial head arthroplasty', which is what looks like a trumpet mouthpiece...

This was with the staples still in the skin from the last visit, it's a bit clearer than the one they took this morning, those have gone now and it's just a quite well-healed scar on the outside.

Not bad at all considering it's less than six weeks since the surgery.

Is the ‘radial head’ / mouthpiece metal? Will you forever set off the airport metal detectors?

:)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    Good to hear you're on the mend.  :)
    Moe_Zambeek said:

Is the ‘radial head’ / mouthpiece metal? Will you forever set off the airport metal detectors?

:)
    Yes - great fun to be had at gigs in Glasgow too ;).

• Aren't these things made of grade 316 stainless? If so, they wouldn't be magnetic, although that doesn't mean a different type of detector wouldn't trigger.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Maybe a tad late.....but I'm glad that your surgery went well and hope that your recovery continues.
    Maybe a tad late.....but I'm glad that your surgery went well and hope that your recovery continues.
    Thanks!

I was back at the hospital today for a check - they think it's all going well, or at least as well as can be expected at this time after the operation, given the damage I did. I won't need any more work on it, but it will probably take a year or so to fully recover as much as it's going to - which may hopefully be complete in terms of movement.

I also asked to see the X-rays from the beginning and took a couple of pics, so I've added the one from the hospital before they fixed the dislocation and operated on it, back on page 2 in the right order. Be warned, it's quite scary...

• Wow, that X-ray looks unpleasant!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    Praise to the medics for getting it back in shape. Good to hear you're on the mend.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Does this mean the short scale bass days are numbered then?
    Don’t know! I actually like the Mustang, and the band think it sounds as good as the Rick... :)

At least I should have the option soon though - I can play the Rick sitting down now, just not quite standing up.

ICBM said:
    Don’t know! I actually like the Mustang, and the band think it sounds as good as the Rick... :)

At least I should have the option soon though - I can play the Rick sitting down now, just not quite standing up.
    Are you finding the mustang punchy enough in a band context?
    Bridgehouse said:

Yes, definitely. It actually sounds quite like the Rick bridge pickup - I now totally understand why a lot of the well-known Rick players in the early 70s had them too. It doesn’t have the beefy piano-like P-Bass sound, but I don’t think that’s due to the pickup alone.

ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Yes, definitely. It actually sounds quite like the Rick bridge pickup - I now totally understand why a lot of the well-known Rick players in the early 70s had them too. It doesn’t have the beefy piano-like P-Bass sound, but I don’t think that’s due to the pickup alone.
    The more I play P basses the more I think it’s a combination of pickup type, position, scale length and bridge position. You already know I love that piano like tone, but I do like a good variety of bass tones - whenever I’ve heard mustangs I’ve thought they sounded punchy and snappy with just a little less sustain.